DeanG, Craig, Mobile, i have an issue to resolve

"safely" means what? If you drive more than 1 speaker, even if all are the same kind, with a single amp, there will be sonic degradation .. maybe not a big deal, but you did ask.

Will something self-destruct? Probably not.

leok

It doesn't work that way. The speakers determine the load to the amp, and you have to use the correct taps for the given load.

Do you want all 4 K-horns playing at the same time? If so, that's simple. Wire two of them to the 4 ohm taps of the left channel, and 2 of them to the 4 ohm taps of the right channel.

Is this what you are trying to do?

Hi Jim.

Given that these are Klipschorns, there is an option that might (*MIGHT*) be sonically acceptable that would not usually work with, uh, run-of-the-mill ( 2.gif ) speakers.

You are invisioning hooking these up in PARALLEL, by running two sets of speaker cables from each output on the CJ. When you do this, the impedence is halved, as you noted, but keep in mind that the speaker does not present a simple, flat 8 ohm resistance. It varies quite a bit, from as low as below 3 ohms at a couple of points in the bass to as high as 40 ohms, if I remember the old Audio magazine test results correctly. By hooking them up in parallel, at certain frequencies they will be drawing a *LOT* of current out of the CJ. You might overtax the CJ (overheat the trannies or tubes), and even if you don't, it might not sound too good.

Before you try that, I'd try hooking them up in *SERIES*. That is, run plus output of CJ to plus input of speaker 1, neg post of speaker 1 to positive post speaker 2, neg post of speaker 2 to neg output of CJ. This *DOUBLES* the impedence seen by the amp, and it should have no trouble driving them this way. This does reduce the damping factor, and in most casee speakers sound pretty ****ty when hooked up this way. But with the high efficiency and generally benign behaviour of KHorns, it might work okay.

Worth a shot.

Ray

LOL i know ive been more of an idiot this last week, thats what happens when you work, and dont know whats going on around home LOL!

Anyway,

Series is the way to go here

Now one more question, if i hook up all 4 the the H/K 430 A-B would this be the same as parallel, cutting the impedence in half?

Regards Jim

Thank you for the replies

9.gif

Yes jim, on the h/k 430 if you use both a and b speaker outputs at the same time, you are halving the impedance as well and the amp has to work that much harder. At low volumes you may be able to run that way, but at higher volumes the amp may tend to run really warm. The sensitivity of the k-horns being that high (104 db/watt), you would have to be playing at ear bleding levels before the h/k runs out of steam and starts to overheat.