Do es one really need THX?

Mike Frankel

Uhmmm. now my dad has hearing aids, if they are not THX will they work with THX movies or will he only here "We are very sorry your hearing aids are not THX certified, please mail Mr. Lucas a cahiers check in the amount of $5000"

If the only thing THX is good for is a few good intro's I will stick with DTS.

Scott

Obviously there are some people who are STILL confused and comparing THX to DTS but I won't go there. Noone has mentioned anything yet about THX approved dvds with a DTS soundtrack. My favorite THX trailer is the "jungle" one that was on the free Kenwood demo disc.

----------------

On 4/7/2003 1:10:24 AM boomer9911 wrote:

If you want "true" THX, 1st, you have to have "true" THX speakers, next, "true" THX speaker cable, then, "true" THX components, and then, "true" THX rated interconnects...BLAH BLAH
10.gif

----------------

Not to mention a full THX experience only comes with a THX certified room.

Seriously, the specs for a THX theater require among other things, that it have a seperate concrete slab for the floor and walls so the walls are not mechanically connected to the floor, a room that is tuned to a flat frequency respense between 40 and 15,000 Hz.

THX when it originally came out(Return of the Jedi) was a way for george lucas to ensure that star wars movie goers would have the optimum viewing experience.

This site is great for looking up info on DTS http://www.dtsonline.com/

A complete list of titles available in DTS is available here http://www.dtsonline.com/home/dvdvideo.pdf

I think I only have 2 of the movies on that list 15.gif

Oh well, who cares, 2 channel is where it's at. 2.gif

Peace, Josh

"Saying that you prefer DTS over THX doesn't really make sense.

THX is a set of standards."

Well said

THX standards if used well do not remove from quality and represent a bare minimum compnents should meet or go beyond.

If it was asked DTS or DolbyDigital the answer is an easy one DTS whips DD from pilar to post.

I can clearly hear and tell apart DTS from DD on my systems,DTS should become the standard and replace DD.

Jerry R. aka "JewishAMerPrince" had it right. When talking about THX you can be talking about different things.

Most people here are talking about THX certification of equipment. That does indeed mean that "THX certified" equipment meets a minimum series of standards. This certainly means that you are going to be getting decent equipment and not junk. It does not mean, however, that if a piece of equipment is not THX certified that it is junk. There are many great sounding pieces of gear that do not carry the THX certification. As with any stereo equipment purchase...let your ears be your guide NOT some letters on the faceplate!

As Jerry R. points out, however, THX also refers to the "post processing" algorithms that THX certified receivers and pre-amp processors employ. Two of the primary goals of Lucas in creating sound for movie theaters in particular (and home theaters as well) is to (1) create the same sound for every person sitting in the theater (an incredibly difficult undertaking involving numerous sonic compromises) and (2) keeping the viewer's attention focused on the screen. How this is accomplished is (a)to have a disproportionately large portion of the sound come from the center channel and (B) to make the side/surround channels sound "diffuse" so as not to draw the viewers attention away from the screen. This also serves to make the sounds "location" cues more generalized so that the sound is more consistent from seat to seat in the theater. Therefore, true "surround" characteristics get muddled and even lost. Because of a much smaller audience seating area, home theater systems do not need to be limited by these kind of THX post processing compromises (this is why THX surround speakers are dipole designs - to generate a "diffuse" sound). Much truer surround fields can be generated in your home (front to rear...left to right) than can be generated in a movie theater. This can create a much more realistic feeling of "being there" and being enveloped in the sound. You really can create the sound of a jet flying over your head. Therefore, IMHO THX post processing for movie theaters is a necessary evil but for home theater is crap. Why make an unnecessary compromise?

J. Gary

----------------

On 4/7/2003 4:40:04 PM bruinsrme wrote:

If the only thing THX is good for is a few good intro's I will stick with DTS.

Scott

----------------

You must have not read any of the other posts pointing out what a stupid statement this is. I can't help but notice that you have a THX certified receiver, do you think you got ripped off?

i think in the long run it doesnt matter, the reciever i'm going for as many features that appeal to me, which usually come standard with THX certification. Think of it like leather that comes standard in luxury automobiles... you look for very many otehr features when buying an expensive car, but rest assured leather will be there. THX is usually put on all expensive equipment.. so just live with it.