Do es one really need THX?

Mike Frankel

"need thx"??

well...do we home theatres with 5 speakers???...do we need stereo???....

there is a whole can of worms that can be opened with the "need" question.....

as for thx....it is a standard....when you are looking at lower priced components it becomes a valid concern...look at thx standards as minimum performance requirements...

personally, if i was considering a couple of receivers...i would lean towards the one that was thx certified....

now...the uncertified receiver "might" perform up to the thx standards...but then again it might not....you need to ask...why isn't this receiver certified?...is it incapable of meeting the thx performance standards or did the company decide not to try to get the unit certified?

i agree with scott(bruinsrme) and prefer dts, but i feel that thx is a minimum standard that receivers and preamps should meet....thx standards for speakers is a whole different discussion....

Saying that you prefer DTS over THX doesn't really make sense.

THX is a set of standards.

DTS is a method of encoding the sound.

Comparing the two is definetely an apples/oranges kind of thing.

As far as DTS goes since it is not a set of standards but an encoding method, you could have a DTS receiver that sounded aweful.

Having a DTS receiver merely means that it can decode a DTS audio track.

Peace, Josh

None of my gear is THX rated, and I really don't care. I figure if you purchase good quality gear, you don't need to sweat that the gear is rated as such - especially with speakers. My Cornwalls and Chorus aren't THX rated - but they blow away most of those that are.

Some do want the THX "post processing" in the prepro or receiver, but I skipped this entirely. It's a "preference", one that I personally did not concern myself with.

Give me a high quality 5.1 DTS soundtrack through quality gear, and I'm happy!

I love the THX demos though9.gif

----------------

On 4/5/2003 11:32:04 PM dndphishin wrote:

I love the THX demos though
9.gif

----------------

Amen to that. They need some new ones. I like the lightning ball ones on the Star Wars DVDs. It's fun to scare the poo outta non expectant listeners.11.gif10.gif

I'll get in on this one... 2.gif

In the case of receivers, I'd prefer THX certified over non-THX ones. This is mostly because THX certified receivers put out a LOT of current and generally sound good doing it. Or at least this is my understanding. For preamp, surround decoders, and amplifiers, I would prefer THX. I have non-THX certified gear, and can say it sounds decent to my ears, but I HATE that hiss I get with Dolby material. I am guessing this is a result of the DAC. I guess you can't expect perfection from a low priced receiver, Onkyo, though it may be.

On another note, THX stuff generally uses DD as its primary soundtrack. I DO prefer DTS over DD, as most do. DTS has a much wider dynamic range and sounds really purty. (purposely spelled like that...) 2.gif

THX speakers don't make me crazy, except for the Klipsch MCM Grand. That is one evil speaker, and I look forward to the day when I can buy three of 'em for a basement HT. 9.gif I'll invite ya'll over when I get that going. (don't expect it soon...)

To buy THX, or not to buy THX... that is the question. If you have the money, why not? What will it hurt, other than your wallet? A THX thingy should be able to handle all the trials you put it through, with no problems. That is why I would consider them.

And, I love THX tests/demos too. 9.gif9.gif By far, my favorite is the intro before Star Wars: Ep. II. The exploding planet with the thunder and such- Very nice. Scared me the first time. I thought I was gonna fall out of my chair from the bass. 1.gif

EDIT: Moon, you beat me to it- I love the same test. I just surprised me aunt and cousin with it not two hours ago. My cousin and I watch the whole movie (she hadn't seen it). I love that Across the Stars 'love theme' from it too... Don't take that the wrong way. It is just a pretty song. It inspires me to do great things which I cannot acomplish for lack of being great...

----------------

On 4/6/2003 12:00:22 AM minn_male42 wrote:

my fav thx intro is the monsters inc with all the cows....great imaging!

----------------

Really? Ohhh.. I hate that one, it's so boring. My kids like it though.

Like Josh said, THX is a set of standards, it is not implementation of technology.

Think about this for a minute:

I've seen THX certified mini-systems, and other systems of much better quality with no certification. Clearly, what started out as a good idea -- has now been reduced to a marketing scheme.

----------------

On 4/6/2003 12:52:01 AM BBB wrote:

WOOOOOOOOOSH! WOOOSH! WOOOSH! WOOOSH!!!!

"<a
http://images.cinenow.com//images_trail/dts-digital_experience_250_140.jpg">

----------------

Is it just my system, or does that DTS gingle just work your system? It sure does on mine.

I dont know what Im hearing anymore. Either its the DTS trailer, the bats in my belfry or my recurring nightmares of snow blizzards that have surrounded me this winter all coming together to form one gigantic WOOOOOOOOOSSSHHH!!! 6.gif

When one says THX it sort of opens a can of worms.

First there is THX certification: When a manufacturer designs equipment to meet Lucas's THX standards of Performance.

Secondly there is THX "post processing" which is a set of processing algorhythms with fancy names like "adaptive decorrelation"..etc, found in THX Select and Ultra certified receivers/processors. These algorhythms atempt to give the surround channels more of the characteristics of a real movie theater. In case anyone has not gone to a real theater recently, (as is the case here... why put up with the stickey floors, the people talking behind and the rows of seats packed too close together when I can stay home and REALLY enjoy a movie in luxury and comfort); the sides of most movie theaters are lined with a series of surround speakers, not just one. This gives the sound a diffuse quality. THX Post processing tries to recreate this effect. Interestingly enough Klipsch surrounds try to recreate the diffuse sound with WDST. I think that applying THX post processing to a WDST type speaker could make the sound more diffuse than either Klipsch or Lucas intends.

Thirdly there is THX sourround EX which is Lucas's adaptation of DD 5.1 into a 6.1 medium.

So, it takes three answers to attempt to answer the original question. (1)It is MHO that there are many great sounding amps and receivers out there that don't carry THX certification. (2)THX post processing isn't a necessity in 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 systems utilizing Klipsch surrounds. And (3) THX EX encoded DVD's can be played and enjoyed on any DD 5.1 system, and the full benefits enjoyed on any 6.1 or 7.1 system.

Jerry R1.gif

THX, it's a "sell point" 11.gif

When THX 1st came out it was WOW, only the top end players got the certification, now...HA, everyone and their dog can have THX certification. Here Mr. Lucas, my $1.5 million dollars, can I have your stamp of approval now....pleaseeeeeeee........

Now we have THX Ultra 2, WHOOPEE, I'm in!!

I have the up to date bug...I WANT!!!

The only "true" advancement I have seen, IMO, has been Dolby ProLogic2, which enhances your hifi VCR and cable\sat signal, wish I had it in my A\V Receiver as opposed to using 5 channel IMO.

If you want "true" THX, 1st, you have to have "true" THX speakers, next, "true" THX speaker cable, then, "true" THX components, and then, "true" THX rated interconnects...BLAH BLAH 10.gif

I have THX rated components, even my A\V Receiver is an "Ultra" so do I care about everything else....NOT 9.gif

Does a THX speaker process sound differently?

does a THX cable conduct differently.

If I have THX speakers will DTS work?

I have read that if a subwoofer is not THX rated it will distort if THX processing is used.

Where can I go to ensure my ears are THX certified?

a huge freaking Marketing scheme.