Poor record play

whell

Not sure what is happening with this record, but I'd sure appreciate some advice. My equipment is: Grado Prestige Blue tracking at 2 grams, Dual 504 turntable. Here's what I'm observing:

Cleaned the record before I played it the first time, then again when I heard some scratchiness at the start of the record. The record was still a little wet when I started play, but sounded better. Proceeding from the 2nd to the 3rd song on the record, the scratchiness seemed to return, but even worse. Now the cartridge seemed to be "vibrating", and started to skip a bit. You could actually see the headshell/cartridge/needle vibrate.

Cleaned the record again, and again the record was a bit wet when I resumed play. After a few minutes, the "vibratring" and skipping returned.

So... seems like the record plays fine when wet, but I'm not sure why, and I'm not sure how to get it to play normally when dry.

I also thought something might be wrong with the stylus, so I tried another record. The other record played just fine.

Its a Gene Harris record, recorded and released in 1973. This is the first time I've played it. THe other side of this disk plays fine.

Thanks for any help or insight.

Well my guess is this record has been damaged beyond repair.Or there has been a sticky spill on it that you can`t see or get off. If the other side plays fine, and other records play fine, those grooves are just toast. If you had another cartridge it would be interesting to try but I would keep my good one away from side 1.

Have you played LOTS and LOTS of LPs with the Grado/Dual combo? If not, then I'll bet you're experiencing the "Grado Dance!" I've seen this happen before when a Grado is mated to a tonearm that is totally unsuitable. If you can, try to add a BUNCH of weight to the arm's counterweight and see if the problem goes away. If this doesn't help, then you can always try doing a better job of isolating the table, but I doubt this would cause the drama you're describing. If you have another cartridge, by all means swap that one it and see what happens!

If adding the weight to the counterweight of the arm doesn't help, I'll bet you have a really screwed up LP.

Interesting. I've had a similar problem on one record. I'm using a Grado cartridge on the stock tonearm of my Pioneer PL-41. It gets to a certain part, then wiggles. My assumption was, with a high mass tonearm, wiggle would be the least of my problems. Yes, adding weight improved the performance, but how much higher than the recomended weight can you go before damage (to the cartridge, or the record) occurs? Does anyone have a more appropriate cartridge for this tonearm?

fini

Allan:

I've played LOTS of records on this TT with the Grado and have had no problems until now. Interesting however that I did try to play the record on another turntable (an older Sanyo with an "S" shaped arm, but also with a Grado) and the record played just fine.

I did try adding weight to the counterweight and rebalancing the arm. That seemed to make the "Grado Dance" issue a little worse.

Given my findings, I'm considering another TT. My older Sanyo might fill the void for a while as I search for a new machine. The Grado was "dancing" on a Dual 504 that I found at a garage sale for $3, so no real loss there. In other words, I like the sound reproduction from the Grado more than I'm attached to the Dual.

Thanks!

----------------

On 4/13/2003 10:09:38 PM Allan Songer wrote:

If you can, try to add a BUNCH of weight to the arm's counterweight and see if the problem goes away.

----------------

Am I correct in assuming this means increasing the tracking force? If not, then could you please explain?

fini

----------------

On 4/13/2003 10:09:38 PM Allan Songer wrote:

If you can, try to add a BUNCH of weight to the arm's counterweight and see if the problem goes away.

----------------

Am I correct in assuming this means increasing the tracking force? If not, then could you please explain?

fini

Essentially increasing the mass of the tonearm, to provide more inertia to resist the vibration? My tonearm is already, what the local hifi shop called a "tone leg": very massive. What material do you use? Pennies? Reminds me of my youth...

fini

I think I will go ahead and use some pennies. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations as to date and mint mark, as well as condition (is MS-65+ really neccessary? Will a stack of 1909-S VDB's work?).

I'd use cabbage rolls, but my wife won't allow food in the living room.

fini