Installing a K-77 replacement diaphragm

formica

Some of you may remember that I posted about K-77 tweeter "dying"... Following the advice of several members, I decided to purchase a replacement diaphragm from SimplySpeakers in Florida and installed it myself.

I opted not to send the whole K-77 unit to avoid cross-border difficulties.

I got the diaphragm, and as posted by others, i finished the install without a hitch. 16.gif I decided to record the replacement process for anyone who may find it usefull... and I posted the step by step on the web.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/bonaz/Klipsch/K77-diaphram/K77-diaphram.htm

Enjoy...

Rob B.

Excellent job on the Instructions!

But, you did not mention the observing of the polarity of the leads of the diaphram. One is postive and the other Neg. They could be reversed and the tweeter would be out of phase. Are you sure you checked this?

I took mine apart also and decided to let simply speakers, do it, test it and make sure the polarity was correct for a few exta bucks. 2.gif

I didn't make an obvious mention of the polarity, but steps #9 and #10 do talk about alignment of the "voice-coil overlap" and the gap in the magnet... basically this insures the diaphragms + an - are wired correctly.

I might edit it to make it a little more obvious though... (and maybe give myself *credit* on the page as well 9.gif )

Thanks for the comments...

Rob

Just for information, the diaphragm kits for the K-77M are now available (from me) which include a new plastic diaphragm housing with diaphragm already installed. No soldering required.

Anyone interested in these can email bcrites@cswnet.com

Bob

Dave

Not really any way to tell by looking if it is bad. If you have an ohmmeter, the resistance of a good diaphragm should be about 6 ohms. You could probably use a 1.5 volt flashlight battery to check the diaphragm. Should make a small noise when the battery is momentarily connected.

You can email me for prices on diaphragms if you need some.

bcrites@cswnet.com

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Hey BEC,

I didn't know you were on here.

I just receved your replacement diaphram kits today and installed it, works perfectly....thanks.

For all to know a good source at half the price near Toronto.

Thanks gain Rob.

I'm glad i have been able to help ... i know how hard it's to find some things online... 10.gif

NOZ: which place near Toronto was at 100$ ? ... I'm just asking, cause i was quoted by micron (somewhere in ontario) a 193$cnd/each for a K-24 replacement 12" woofer. That would mean a pair of Heresy woofers would run 400$cnd + shipping 6.gif6.gif

formica,

Yes it was micron. I bought a pair of La Scala's on e-bay with a friend, to split for center channels.

Mine just happened to have a blown tweeter and woofer.

The rebuild kit was about $100 Can and the k33e woofer was a dazzling $250.

Ouch.

• 2 weeks later...