1/ Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

2/ Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare

3/ Doobie Brothers - The Captain & Me

4/ Deep Purple - Machine Head

5/ Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain S. Surgery

6/ Eagles - Hotel California

7/ Metallica - Metallica(5 stars)***** WILD 11.gif

8/ Yes - Fragile

9/ The Police - Every Breath You Take(best of)

10/ 38 Special - Live at Sturgis

That's it for now, would love to see some Supertramp....oh yeah... 10.gif

To add to the collection as of today:

11/ Tom Cochrane & Red Rider, Trapeze(excellent)

12/ Moist - Machine Punch Through(the singles collection)

13/ Best of Uriah Heep, Volume 1 & 2(excellent)

14/forgot to add,The Eagles Live-Hell Freezes Over

• 2 weeks later...

I have several excellent Eric Clapton DVD-A disks. Also, Clapton and BB King (riding with the king) is awesome!

Sheryl Crow has a couple of really good releases, including the Globe Sessions.

Al Green is also a must have (Depending on your musical tastes).

Rob

These have all been mentioned before, but just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Tchiakovsky - 1812 Overture on Telarc- again awesome cannons

B.B. King & Eric Clapton - Riding With The King - just fantstic, it's like having B.B. & E.C. in my living room

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery - saw the tour & this DVD-A was like being there, the ending of Karn Evil 9 - Whoa!

Deep Purple - Machine Head

Eagles - Hotel California - my sis-in-law claims she was never that crazy about this recording until I played the DVD-A for her

Yes - Fragile

i want to plug the AIX Records catalog in this thread. I bought the Nitty Gritty Surround DVD-A and received their free demo disk. Since then, I've gone a bit nuts ordering from them. The recording quality, engineering and the disk-extras (!!!) really show off DVD music. There's a pretty good selection of classics, jazz, and acoustic works. Check 'em out at www.aixrecords.com.9.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another great one I just snagged today, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Then and Now (excellent).

Stay away from the 38 Special Live at Sturgis, quality "really" sucks 7.gif

The Tchiakovsky 1812 Overture is actually an SACD and SACD Hybred, not DVD Audio. I was going to purchase it, if it was DVD Audio, but it's not, SACD, another great classic gone to Sony 11.gif

Everyone has already mentioned my favorites so I'll just add my own thoughts re: my current DVD-A collection

My Favorites

1) Fleetwood Mac - Rumours: excellent sound and excellent use of surround. One of the original producers was involved in this project so he remixed it the way he wanted to hear it. This means some of the songs have been altered slightly. Personally, I think this is a good thing. For example, in the song "Never Going Back Again" you hear Mick Fleetwood playing a snare drum and the put Lindsey Buckingham's guitar solo back in. Two bonuses included on this DVD-A are the inclusion of the studio version of "Silver Springs" plus the extra entitled "The Making of Rumours" which gives you track by track audio commentary from the band.

2) The Eagles-Hotel California: take a great album and add a great surround mix and you get a killer DVD-A. My two favorite surround tracks on this album are "Victim of Love" with the guitars coming out of the surround speakers and "Pretty Maids All in a Row" where the surround climaxs on top of you when the harmony vocals kick in.

3) Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery: this is surround sound heaven! This is one of the most creative surround mixes with instruments swirling all around you. Karn Evil 9 is a tour deforce. It is always the track I use when I want to show off my system to friends. The addition of "Lucky Man" to this DVD-A is a nice bonus.

4) The Grateful Dead - American Beauty: I have never owned a Grateful Dead album in my life...until this DVD-A. Simple, straight ahead rock with great surround harmony vocals. Album includes 3 of their best-known songs "Sugar Magnolia","Ripple" and "Truckin"

5) The Warner Brothers DVD-A sampler disk - I got this one for FREE at Tower Records around Christmas Time so I don't know if this is still available. But if you can find it I highly recommend it. It includes a good cross-section of samples. From the Doors, ELP, and the Grateful Dead to The Corrs and Stone Temple Pilot to Dave Grusin and Beethoven.

Others

Foreigner - the first record is good but not as good as the others mentioned above.

Yes-Fragile: I'm a Yes fan but I have had a hard time getting into this album and I'm not really sure why. I don't think they make good use of the subwoofer in this mix.

DVD-A's I'd like to see:

I second the vote on Supertramp-Breakfast in America, Crime of the Century, etc.

Dire Straits-Brothers in Arms

Peter Gabriel-So

U2-Joshua Tree

Van Halen I - can you imagine "Eruption" in surround!

Rush - Moving Pictures or 2112

Thanks for the info MM, I will be hunting for it tommorrow, oh yes, the young guy I was dealing with stated flat out "no". 10.gif

I have added the following DVD Audio disks:

1/ BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive)"Live From the Front Row"....wild.

2/ The Band, The Last Waltz (awesome).

3/ Bob Marley and the Wailers(best of the early years), true reggae man 10.gif

4/ Pat Benatar, Live from the Front Row (excellent)

5/ Blue Oyster Cult, A Long Days Night 2.gif

I agree PhilB, Supertramp would be awesome if Warner got it together 10.gif

Thanks Fish, I've become a DVD Audio nut, spend it on a player might as well have it 10.gif

I forked over alot for my system in 3 yrs, but couldn't afford to buy it, now I can 9.gif

boomer,tried sacd on your system? Just wonder,I've had dvd-a for a couple years,finally got a sacd player too.I really like dvd-a just as good as any sacd I have heard,PINK FLOYD is the lone exception,any thoughts?