break a glass with sound pressure

tgourlie

I guess I just like breaking things!! I want to break a wine glass with sound. I know there was a post a couple of years ago about this from a teacher that wanted to also do the experiment. I can't find that post anywhere, if anyone knows about it or has tried it post a reply.

I have all of the equipment. mic and oscilloscope, wave generator, amp, and numerous speakers. I am shopping for a good glass to do this with. One that rings really good will work best. By tapping or rubbing the finger on the lip. The longer and louder the glass supports the ring, the better chance I have of breaking it. Measure the frequency the glass supports with the mic and oscilloscope (I'm guessing around 6,000Hz). Use the wave generator with an amp and speaker to produce that exact sine wave. sustain the wave for a couple of seconds and the glass should break.

What kind of dB are we talking here??? I heard of 90dB from a science website. I find that hard to believe. I'm guessing a speaker with a high sensitivity (96 or above)(no chance in H3LL I'm gonna use one of my Klipsch speakers to do this), and roughly 50Watts from an amp. Anyone have any suggestions? This is gonna be fun. Fun with hearing protection!!!!

Believe it or not, those thick Pyrex beakers are great for breaking with sound waves. And you really don't need ear piercing levels either. If you tune to the right frequency, the glass will begin to resonate and all you need (as stated) is about 90db of sound... I think we were only up to about 85 when it happened actually. But anyhow, don't go out and buy a $50 wine glass when all you need is a $.50 beaker.

• Klipsch Employees

I know for a fact that 90db will not do it, if it would every window in 3 city blocks would be broke.

I will ask if anyone at Klipsch knows the number...

Let us know it works.

We have a R & D group getting 163db from one k-1133-k on a 3/4 inch plain wave tube...dont know what frequency...

Years ago my buddy and I stacked our La Scalas and played a real recorded train from the album The Power and Majestry at such a volume(not recommended) that it did actually crack the living room window. It was so loud and the pressure so great it scared the hell out of one of our friends when the train passed through. I swear you could see the La Scala's pumping....Awesome it was9.gif

----------------

On 4/28/2003 10:25:22 PM trey cannon wrote:

We have a R & D group getting 163db from one k-1133-k on a 3/4 inch plain wave tube...don’t know what frequency...

----------------

Let me guess... It is at 1 meter & 1 watt?? 9.gif

yeah those wave tubes can be cool. If you are talking about what I think you are. I f you drill holes in the top of the tube every 1 inch or so, cap the end and use a hose connected to the tube and a natural gas line to fill it with a flamable gas. Light the holes on fire, and you can use a sine generator to produce a cool looking candle (showing the nodes and antinodes of the wave form. You can also find out what frequencies (harmonics or overtones) are supported by the tube.

I have a copy of a press release from Memorex when they were doing the Ella Fitzgerald commercials with her voice shattering a glass. The release says they used a Klipsch LaScala & pumped about 1200 watts peak power into it. The result was a sound pressure level of 140+ Db. It went on to warn against trying this on your own as it would instantly destroy your hearing & could possibly damage internal organs.