How would a Tumult or a AV15 subwoofer would compare against a RSW-15?

fire pinch

Im just wondering... the Klipsch RSW-15 seems to be insane for punching your chest and to push you 15 ft away with its strong mid-bass slam!! 1.gif It even seems that people tell us that the RSW-15 can "punch" even more than a Velo HGS-18 or an SVS Ultra... but I think that the Velo and the SVS have the gap for deep and low bass. But how would a DIY:

...sealed Tumult compare against the RSW15?

...ported Tumult compare against the RSW15?

...sealed AV15 compare against the RSW15?

...ported AV15 compare against the RSW15?

I know that I didnt specified how they would be tuned but lets say in general. Well, lets say if they are tuned at 16, 20, or 25 Hz for a ported design and a Q of 0,67 or a higher Q design for ported enclosures.

Im sure that many of you can comment on this, so lets start the discussion 9.gif

Just thought I'd throw in a couple of ideas on bass "punch" and DIY subs that I came across while researching my yet to be completed AV15 sub... more of theory than real life comparison.

Most subwoofers are composed of compromises, where one thing is traded for another... things such as size, SPL, extension, group delay, etc... where improving one will usually worsen some of the others. If you're only looking at "punch" or mid-bass power... it's technically a question of raising the level (volume) but the problem when raising the volume at the lowest frequencies is it exponentially increases excursion and the power required. Subs like the RSW has limited the low frequency extension to control this and a lot of power in the mid-bass. Obviously there sometimes seems there are exceptions to these tradeoffs, but in general they hold true. This even applies to drivers... for example three popular models are:

1) Tumult: works in a small enclosure but requires a lot of power.

2) AV15: works in a mid sized enclosure and requires middle power

3) Tempest: requires a large enclosure with least power

I'd like to mention the Adire Maelstrom as well since it has a good motor structure and models very well as a musical subwoofer... but like the RSW, it doesn't have very low extension. It is a very efficient driver with a high power handling... so that it would be an ideal candidate for Linkwitz Transform Circuit !

4) Maelstrom: small enclosure, high SPL, short group delay, small amplifier BUT lacks in low frequency extension

If I were to build a music only subwoofer, it would be on my short list in a sealed box... definitely out performing the RSW and could approach a Velo HGS given a well designed transform circuit.

Later...

Rob

I have been looking at the Adire lines of drivers now for a while... my next speaker building project (if I can ever get the first going) will be a DIY sub using the Adire DPL12. This driver is my favorite by far. When I modeled it, it only needed a mid-sized box to have an F3 below 20Hz. The Tempest and Shiva's also make great subs... never heard either, so I cannot compare the slam. Maelstrom rolls off WAY to fast for me... Brahma/Tumult are just too large. Probably would not have good midbass slam just because they are so big... but that is my opinion. I don't like heavy bass (except in movies). It needs to be light and accurate.

The Tumult seems to be a so impressive driver. When I look at it, I think that it can outperform the majority of home subwoofers in the market (well maybe not those who have a high price tag) now with a proprely built cabinet and with enough power. The AV15 is a driver which have quite near the excursion capability of the Tumult so I see it also like a monster. But unfortunately, we have to consider other things than the Xmax for the performance, and its why Im a bit biased and I wonder how they (AV15 and Tumult) can compare against other highly regarded subwoofers...

"Probably would not have good midbass slam just because they are so big... but that is my opinion."

LOL

You have 8",10",12,15 and even 18" woofers with "SLAM".Look at JBL Pro,Cerwin Vega Pro. Look at the RSW15,its not a whimpy 8" woofer and it has loads of slam.

Its not about size here,its the deign.

Tom Nousaine,in the lab,quote.."RSW 15 is one of the best measuring subwoofers we've seen,it went all the way down to 16 hz.This was in a 7500 cf room,in smaller rooms users can expect 2 to 3 hz deeper extension".May 2002 sound and vision.Is this guy(T.N.) a crackpot or what,I love my rsw15,it does all I'd ever need.

----------------

On 4/30/2003 4:16:20 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

my next speaker building project ... will be a DIY sub using the Adire DPL12.

----------------

You didn't mention your planned enclosure type but since you are looking at the DPL12, you might be interested by some of the very specialized woofers offered by Lambda Acoustics at http://www.lambdacoustics.com/drivers.html who also offer a Di-Polar (DPL) type woofers as well as many different sealed and ported ones.

Just though you may find it interesing...

Rob

----------------

On 5/2/2003 10:13:26 AM Fish wrote:

Tom Nousaine,in the lab,quote.."RSW 15 is one of the best measuring subwoofers we've seen,it went all the way down to 16 hz.This was in a 7500 cf room,in smaller rooms users can expect 2 to 3 hz deeper extension".May 2002 sound and vision.Is this guy(T.N.) a crackpot or what,I love my rsw15,it does all I'd ever need.

----------------

Hey Fish,

Do you have any of the SPL numbers from that article, I'm trying my best to update the list of Nousained subs and post them on a webpage for everyone. If anyone else has subs that aren't on the list complied by TV, send me the relevant info so I can get this done. I think might put up what I have so far this week.

Fire Pinch,

I can't comment about the RSW-15 because I have minimal experience with it, but if your interested in the low frequency extension of a sealed AV-15, take a look at my thread:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=34070&sessionID={86AD5904-E4D1-4D62-84F8-5B01892D0DB6}

The measurements there weren taken at the listening postion about 13ft away.