Golf Question...Regular or Stiff Shafts??

I know, I am probably the first person to post a Golf question here...and probably the last, but I need some input.

I am a beginner golfer about a year or so, I shoot between a 110-120, weight 190 lbs and am 6 foot. I am looking to get a new set of clubs and am unsure whether to get stiff or regular flex shafts? All I have to go on is that the head speed on my 7 iron is between 76-84 mph. Any idea if I need a stiff or regular flex shaft?

I am looking at the Taylor Made 360 Irons or the Wilson Deep Red Irons, any experiences with these irons would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

JAG

Shaft selection usually starts with driver swing speed and the shaft manufacturer's recommendations. Lacking that you can approximate based on the club you use to hit 150 yards. 5 or 6 iron would be regular shaft. 6 or 7 iron would be stiff shaft. 4 iron would be flexible shaft. Now to complicate matters, manufacturers' shaft ratings are not standardized. What one manufacturer calls a stiff shaft might be classified as a regular shaft by another manufacturer. IMHO the best thing would be to hit whatever you are considering buying, preferably on the range. Frankly, considering you are shooting between 110 and 120, I would not worry too much about shaft sellection. Use whatever feels most comfortable and work on your game.

Go with regular shaft clubs, especially if steel (vs graphite) shafts. I've been playing my whole life. Your swing speed, in most cases determines whether use stiff or regular. 99% of beginners benefit from a regular shaft. Lets the shaft do some of the work for you. If you're a big strong guy who swings hard, you may want stiff. Hit them both and see.

I always prefered the stiff shafts for greater control, I'd much rather hit it straight than long. I always found it too easy to over swing the club when using a flexible shaft and really putting the ball in some bad spots. With my steel shaft driver I would always get a good 260 right down the middle.

I need to get golfing again, working at a country club, golfing for free really gives one a lot of practice.

I figured as much Moon, I was waiting for someone to ask if it is really a golf question....or a personal problem...LOL!!!

Thanks for all the input, I usually hit my 7 iron about 150. But I guess the true test will be to hit them at the range, those nets in a small room just do not work for me? I have been looking at stiff, as they seem to go straighter and are a little more accurate for me. I really like these Wilson Deep Reds, they are a little stiffer than normal regular felx irons. So we shall see how they hit on the range.

Thanks alll

(Moon go ahead...say it 9.gif )

----------------

On 5/1/2003 2:49:34 PM jagangjee wrote:

I figured as much Moon, I was waiting for someone to ask if it is really a golf question....or a personal problem...LOL!!!

(Moon go ahead...say it
9.gif
)

----------------

Nope9.gif

The only thing I can add is that the definition of regular vs. stiff varies by maufacturer, so it's good advice to go swing them before you buy them. I bought my Callaways with firm shafts, but Callaway's firm has more flex than other "firm" shafts. By comparison, I have two Taylor Made woods with "regular" shafts, because Taylor's "firm" shafts were way too stiff for me.

Moon is right, this is all sounding pretty obscence in the abtract.

JMHO,

C

----------------

On 5/1/2003 3:22:47 PM chickey wrote:

Moon is right, this is all sounding pretty obscence in the abtract.

JMHO,

C

----------------

Yeah... Same thing when your talking about driver size. Yeah...