Room modification

jnorv

I am in the preliminary design stages of blowing out the wall between my LR and adjacent BD. It is a load bearing wall so I have to consider adding a new support. I can:

1) slip in an I-beam and keep the original ceilings (9 feet) or

2)blow off 1/2 the roof and put in scissor trusses to get a cathedral ceiling, peak height maybe 12-13 feet.

the finished room will be 29 by 22, with the cathedral peak 14 1/2 out from the walls. There is about a 20% increase in room volume, cathedral to leaving the 9 ft ht. Is this a significant change in the room acoustics? There is always the cost benefit ratio.

Jim N

Piece of cake. I am now considering putting in a center, post supported, ridge beam to carry half of the roof load, 2x12 rafters with acoustic covering ( to approximate anechoic conditions). I think most of the work will be demolition with out trashing the rest of the house. It could probably be done in stages. Take off the roof, put on new roof, move out, take out original ceiling. Fortunately I live in California, so we have a 6 month work season without rain.

Jim N

Notwithstanding any of the comments above, It's your house and money. Do it your way. Without seeing a drawing or the house, I can't comment much on the structural advantages of any method. I like trusses, but they have 2 weaknesses. In a fire, the gusset plates soften and the truss colapses, often quickly. The small members, the advantage of a truss, also burn quickly. Both weaknesses can limit the time you have to get out. My house has pratt trusses for the roof. If you live in an area where the greatest fire threat is from outside the house, you may want to put sheetrock under the roof decking to help fireproof it against a brush fire.

Check out manufactured wood I-beams or laminated wood beams instead of a steel beam. They have a higher strength to weight ratio.

I'm an architect. I have lots of experience in acoustics. If you can afford it, & know how to do it, or know the right people to do it, go with option #2.

But don't forget, why, in the profession, we call it "architorture".