Chuckears survives the May 4 tornadoes...

Wow Chuck, quite a story. Something you or your family will ever forget.

Ive been in two tornados in my life. As a child, One passed about 150 feet from the house I was in. Complete devistation in the path, our house only lost a few shingles. I will never forget the sound as long as I live.

And cleaning up... unbelieavable. While helping neighbors locate items, I saw huge oak trees impailed onto medium sized pine trees. The branches of the pine trees completely through the trunk of the oaks suspending them in the air. Who would ever beleive this would be physically possible.

JM

----------------

On 5/6/2003 12:58:03 PM j-malotky wrote:

While helping neighbors locate items, I saw huge oak trees impailed onto medium sized pine trees. The branches of the pine trees completely through the trunk of the oaks suspending them in the air. Who would ever beleive this would be physically possible.

JM

----------------

I am lucky enough to not have any first hand experiance with tornadoes, but I have heard stories where people had seen a straw, like a drinking straw stuck into the side of a wood building.

I agree, who would think it was physically possible.

Chuckears,

You should be called Chuck"The Tornado"Ears a distant cousin to TheEAR. LOL

Kenrat was correct you should just outblast the tornado woth the power of Klipsch.I would investigare if HornED was not close by in his mobile home blasting his system,you know good ole ED has to compensate for the 36dB drop in his ears.

Good to hear you are in one piece

God bless all who have been affected by the weather of late.

As I sit here in Summerville, SC, we are under a tornado warning. It's hailing and the weather guy just reported a funnel cloud less than a mile away. Thank goodness it's going the other way.

My 9 year old is more than a little upset so I better go and comfort him.

Another tornado reported close by, going to the hall now.

Just felt compelled to chime in on this thread.

Hope all you mid-western Klipschers are OK.

ChuckEars, where in the heck are you? You must not be too far from me. I'm in Nevada, MO.

Speaking of the recent storms, my old home town, Stockton, MO, which is just about 40 miles east of Nevada, was devastated by the tornado Sunday night. I drove over about three hours after it went through to check on relatives and on our church house. There was no land-line telephone service, and we were unable to raise anyone by cell phone, either.

My Aunt's home was totaled out. There were 10ft. 2x4's sticking through her west wall like darts. The downtown area looked as if a nuclear weapon had been detonated over it. It was that bad. Two high school friends homes were demolished, as was the body shop operated, by one of them. I'd swear, that twister must have been at least 1/4 mile wide. Barbwire fences were laid down for about a mile. Huge trees twisted off or uprooted. Brand new Catholic church (brick) was smashed, as was the Methodist, Presbyterian, Christian, CofC, and others. Our little Missionary Baptist Church was battered and bruised, but not beaten! The building was erected in 1916. It will need a new roof, new siding, three new windows, and some interior work, but we were spared severe damage.

One of the saddest things, for me, was the damage at the cemetary where my dad is laid to rest. It really was one of the prettiest cemetaries in the area, imo, and it was just mauled! I would guess nearly 3/4 of the headstones were knocked over. Unreal.

Still, "only" three fatalities in Stockton, so, considering the damage to structures, it could have been much, much worse. Thank God for sparing what He did.

I love SW Missouri, but dang, the weather this spring is making me kinda jumpy! Glad I've got a good basement. (Hey, that's where my 'horns are!)

James,

I'm in Springfield... my wife has a co-worker from Stockton, but she lives outside of town, and only suffered some downed tree limbs. The devastation of the small towns is amazing and tragic; early interviews with the mayor of Pierce City (8-10 miles from where I grew up) showed him optimistic, and angry at the suggestion that they might not be able to recover. As of late yesterday, he was beginning to imply that the town might indeed not be re-buildable.

As much as I feel for these small communities, I am also aware that, if the storm that passed 2 miles south of me had been 2-3 miles further north, it would have torn hell out of densely populated areas of Springfield; the loss of life and material would have been at least ten times greater.

James, if you're ever in the Springfield area, and want to hear a "little" Klipsch system (you have to get tired of those K-Horns once in a while, eh?), drop me a PM...

You're right; it could have been worse in Springfield, for sure. Just glad it's over (I hope!).

Hey, there's no "little" klipsch systems! I'm fanatic about klipsch in general, oak klipsch in particular. The Forte/Chorus/Quartet family ia one of my favorites in the klipsch "family tree".

If you're ever up this way, come on by. I'll set you down in the sweet spot and crank some Nelly your direction! Or whatever floats your own particular boat!

Take care and keep your eye on the sky.

-Doug

Here in North Georgia things have been interesting. Last night we discovered that an oak in our from yard is leaning about 20 degrees from vertical. Fortunately away from the house, but over the road and power lines. It is well over 100 feet tall, and I hate to see it go. The trunk has a split at the base, about a hand width wide going ten feet up. There has been almost no wind today, but we are supposed to have storms again tonight. The utility company has it on their list and will get to it soon (I hope). Our neighbor had a tree come down and poke through his roof.

Marvel

It has gotten interesting even here in Virginia. Last night, there were tornado warnings posted all over the place just north of here (Faquier County, Prince William county, and northern Stafford county). It looks like the severe weather is riding along the frontal boundery, which goes right through this area. I have not heard of any serious damage, though - so hopefully, we got lucky.