Ecletic Musical tastes, any other Renaissance Rednecks out there?

Hello fellow Klipschters. I have a

pretty wide taste of music that I like. Real Country, Jazz, Blues, Classical, Classic rock & heavy metal from the 70's & 80'S, Motown

R&B, Punk & New Wave from the 70's & 80's and various other genres. This rant is being fed by

Lonestar longneck bottle beer.

I have been on a buying spree of cd's the past several weeks. Country-The Derailers new cd Genuine-this is the real deal Bakersfield California country sound & influenced. They also play some 60's sounding tunes influenced by Roy Orbison & the Beatles. Among the great songs on this cd is one called I Love Me Some Elvis. The 2 main guys in the Derailers are Tony Villanueva & Brian Hofeldt, they moved from Oregon to Austin in the early 90's. They cowrite all their original material. Tony is the lead singer & they both play Fender Telecasters, Brian sings also. Derailers other cds Jackpot, Full Western Dress, Reverb Deluxe, Live Tracks. Buck Owens performs a duet-Play Me The Waltz Of The Angels on Full Western Dress. On Reverb Deluxe-bonus track not listed- they take Prince's song Rasberry Beret and countrify it into a country song & pull it off,

good song. I have seen the Derailers live 8 times and always talk to them. They are great down to earth guys. They tour Texas & the U.S. Dale Watson is another real deal-too country for Nashville radio. Based out of Austin. Has a baritone voice that reminds me of Merle Haggard. Have picked up some Dwight Yoakam Reprise Please Baby- The Warner Bros. Years 4 cd set, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Waylon Jennings, Jason Boland & The Stragglers, Susanna Van Tassel, Townes Van Zandt, Lucinda Williams, Hootie & The Blowfish, Norah Jones, Al Dimeola, Patricia Barber, Cassandra Wilson, Charles Mingus & Miles Davis. John Hammond the country blues guitar slinger is performing Thursday night here in Corpus Christi at the Executive Surf Club. I plan on attending. It is kind of funy I like to listen to music my parents loved when I was a kid. When I was young & dumb I thought Mom & Dad

had bad tastes in music. Was I ever wrong!

My Dad used to listen KSIX AM radio every Saturday morning to a show called Polka Party. Several hours of non stop Polka music. I used to hate it when I was a kid. The accordian music from the German immigrants in Texas many years ago influenced Tejano music-Texas Mexican music. The accordian is used in Tejano music like it is in Polka. My parents also used to watch Lawrence Welk every Saturday night. I remember my dad being a big fan of Peggy Lee. The NPR station here played some Peggy Lee last weekend that blew my skirt up. I am pretty opinionated in what music I like and don't like. But I respect other's choice of music. Keep on listening through Klipsch speakers and support the bands and music of your choice.

Regards, Mike

Mike,

You'd better check out the Asylum Street Spankers when they swing into town. Totally acoustic (no mics at all), and they even have a song about beer. Here's a schedule from an e-mail I received:

"Final California Tour for Stanley Smith"

Yep, it's a drag to think about, but we must confront the fact that Stanley's retirement looms ever closer.  For those of you in the southwest and California, this will be the your last chance to see the Spankers with our own American treasure.   Note that dates in Goleta and Santa Cruz have just been added.

Thursday  Phoenix         AZ      The Rhythm Room, 9pm - 602.265.4842

Friday Tucson          AZ      Club Congress, 10pm - 520.622.8848

Saturday       Santa Monica    CA      McCabe's, 7pm - 310.828.8037

Sunday  Goleta          CA      The Mercury Lounge, 9pm - 805.967.0907

Tuesday    Santa Cruz      CA      Moe's Alley, 8pm - 831-479-1854

Wednesday Redwood City  CA      Little Fox Theater, 8pm - 650.369.4119

Thursday San Francisco   CA      Make-Out Room, 8:30pm - 415.647.2888

Friday  Berkeley                CA      The Starry Plough, 9pm - 510.841.2082

Saturday    Encinitas               CA      101 Artist's Colony, 9pm - 760.632.9072

Saturday  Houston         TX      Mucky Duck, 8pm & 10pm - 713.528.5999

Friday      San Antonio     TX      Casbeer's, 9pm - 210.732.3511

Friday       Dallas          TX      Poor David's Pub, 9pm - 214.821.9891

Saturday        Austin          TX      Flipnotics, 9pm - 512.322.9750

Totally worth checking out for everyone here. Don't say I didn't tell you. 100% fini approved.

fini

Believe it or not, I have a Lawerance Welk LP, with POLKAS. And another LP called "Polka GoRound'. As well as some Mitch Miller stuff from that same era. I grew up with that Polka **** too. My older cousin Joyce even had a Polka band, "Little Joyce & the Lads" (trouble was, Joyce wasn't so 'little', lol). They played all over the midwest. & Joyce's father's (my uncle's) friend played the Polka stuff professionally & even had a hit Polka song (is that possible? lol). And his son was in a Chicago area band that was runner up for recording "Gloria". As well all know, The Shadows of Knight got the contract.

But yeah, that Mexican music is often difficult to tell from an eastern european Polka. Sometimes you can't tell until the announcer starts speaking.

Food for thought: Could it be that so much Polka exposure at an early age is what prompted me to search out & be so tolerant of other forms of music? 6.gif

Well, different take on "Renaissance," but I've put the Spankers date in Dallas on my calendar. My tastes are wide indeed. Probably take my WMD6 pro Walkman and a single point stereo mic and see if I can get kicked out of the joint.

Dave

I went to the Executive Surf Club

and saw John Hammond perform. Mr.

Hammond played alone switching back and forth between an acoustic

guitar and a National Steel acoustic guitar. He wore a headset

that held his harmonica so he could play both harmonica & guitar at the same time. This is the first time I have seen him. John Hammond is talented, he blew my skirt up. I was impressed and enjoyed his show, he played 1 hour & 35 minutes. He plays a mean

slide guitar. The Surf Club has an outdoor patio for music wth a coverd stage. He was not used to the high humidity here in Corpus Christi. Made several comments how do you stand this humidity. An ex local musician Michael O'Connor opened the show. Michael is a talented guitarist, also plays the mandolin and harmonica. Michael has played guitar for Ray Wylie Hubbard and currently plays guitar

for Susan Gibson and performs with

Cary Swinney-a Lubbock, Texas musician. Lloyd Maines a Texas legend hooked Michael up with Ray

Wylie Hubbard, Susan Gibson & Carry Swinney. I lived in Lubbock

from 1988-1994. Lloyd Maines is a badass steel guitar player/Texas music producer. The Maines Brothers was a country band he played in and I have seen them play, they were good. Lloyd is Natalie Maines-Dixie Chicks lead singer's father. Lloyd lives in Austin now and produces a lot of the younger Texas country and alt.

country acts. Texas musicians know

who Lloyd Maines is and respect him. He likes to help out young

musicians which I think is pretty

cool.

Regards, Mike

----------------

On 5/10/2003 12:50:10 AM middlecreekguy wrote:

Man oh man. I live 30 miles north of Goleta. Hell, I work there. But I can`t make it to the show cause I work that night. So who does their sound remind you of? A little back ground please.

----------------

Here's their website. Click on "Music," then look for the mp3's ("Spankings"). They have quite a few there.

My advice is to call in sick. You will be glad you did!!

fini

OK, so not only am I going to the Asylum Street Spaners (with the PAW, of course), but I've sent them a message to see if they will let me do a 24/176.4 4 channel recording on DVD-A. They have a contract, but I don't know that this Dallas show is being recorded, and I made it clear I'd be happy to hand over a Redbook stereo master to them with no strings. I just want to do the 4 channel super res DVD-A version with them getting a fair profit and me recovering costs at least. I suspect a lot of you would enjoy...I know I would. 4 ribbon mics, coincedent placed on the same pole. Front lobes of one pair on the band with the back in the air over the audience, other pair with the front lobes on the audience and back lobes on the band. Should be able to mix the perfect sound out of that that would put you right there.

I've the equipment, the ability, and the inclination. Just need the opportunity.

Almost certain something (stupid) will prevent it, but one can always dream...

Dave

Dave,

That is GREAT news! They could really use a good recording engineer. Their CDs do them no justice at all, and are, frankly, a bit disappointing. I first heard them on a live tape, and loved them. I REALLY hope you're able to pull this off, especially since Stanley Smith will be leaving the group after this tour. So you have the capability to make DVD-A's! Amazing! I wish there was a way I could help. I may be swinging through Texas in July (ugh!)...

Have you had a chance to listen to any of their stuff?

Good luck!!

fini

Yikes!!!!!!!! Their manager said "YES." Good Gawd, I'm a media mogul. So now I am scared. Here is the plan: Two Oktava ML-52 ribbon mics coincident looking down at 45 degrees on the band so the back lobes are over the audience. Two Beyer M130 N's coincident on the same pole looking down at the audience with the back lobes over the band. Played back in four channels, you should "be there." Crikey, that's my theory anyway.

I'll be using a Radius 10 4 channel vacuum tube preamp feeding direct to a WaMIRack 192X at 24/176.4. Should be as close as the old "direct to disc" as you can get.

Lordey, so much to do. Better check my blood sugar and go get some beer.

Stay tuned...if they let me release it, you will hear about it here!

Gregg: Any chance of getting a photo or video still or so of the band as set up for the Friday night gig you are attending? I don't even know how the set up. Got to start somewhere. Also, you are welcome here as long as you wish if you make it in July. You can "hear it straight!" Of course, given my technique, everyone gets a master...but still something about the thing itself.

As to DVD-A, I've learned it's a LOT more difficult than Redbook. The worst thing is Meridian Lossless Processing. Cheapest I've been able to find the software is 2500.00. It will be required for this disc as the bit rate will GREATLY exceed the 9.3 mb/sec DVD standard.

Dave

It's possible. Lonelobo (who in real life is a professional videographer/soundman) is booked for the night unless he gets a real paid gig. I'll be using his sandbags, c-stand, etc.

This is really going to be nerve racking! Be careful what you ask for, as they say.

Well, I guess all will find out soon enough if I know doodly about audio.

If it's promising, I'll have a gathering to review. Fini (Gregg) sez he may be through Texas in July, so that is a possibility if not before. He knows several of the band and says their CD's don't do them justice. Also found out a best friend of my best friends brother is the lead singer. Damn small world!

Dave

Dave,

This is exploding into a very cool deal! Yes, I'll be photographing them, and I'll send you a cd of them (you know...for the album cover!). You'll do fine: they're a cool band. So you're not too shocked (!) at their show, please listen to a few of their, ahem, "Dirty Ditties." If You Love Me, You'll Sleep On The Wet Spot is a fav of mine.9.gif

fini

Crikey, I was a teen in the sixties (so I am told). I am about over being shocked. Anyway, the kids are staying home.

Looking forward to some pix so I can start thinking about mic plan.

Thanks for your help, and I hope you do get through Texas this summer.

Dave

----------------

On 5/13/2003 7:12:12 PM Mallett wrote:

Thanks for your help, and I hope you do get through Texas this summer.

Dave

----------------

My niece is getting married up in Lawton (OK) 7/26, and we've been toying with the idea of taking the train into Texas, then renting a car for the trip North. Is this an insane idea?

fini

Not at all. Excellent idea. Get a first class ticket if you can. The PAW and myself did this to Boston a few years back. We really want to do the Sunset Ltd sometime soon the CA. It's got to be great. Service on the Boston trip was excellent, as well as the food. We had a ball partying until the the wee hours with a guitar playing dude and others.

You can get off in Fort Worth, then come up here coming or going for as long as you need or want. We are only about 30 minutes from Fort Worth station off rush. Lawton is about three hours from here.

Dave

----------------

On 5/13/2003 1:39:20 PM Mallett wrote:

It's possible. Lonelobo (who in real life is a professional videographer/soundman) is booked for the night unless he gets a real paid gig. I'll be using his sandbags, c-stand, etc.

This is really going to be nerve racking! Be careful what you ask for, as they say.

Well, I guess all will find out soon enough if I know doodly about audio.

If it's promising, I'll have a gathering to review. Fini (Gregg) sez he may be through Texas in July, so that is a possibility if not before. He knows several of the band and says their CD's don't do them justice. Also found out a best friend of my best friends brother is the lead singer. Damn small world!

Dave

----------------

Okies well if you need any help lugging stuff around let me know. Perhaps we can carpool with others. I will move this discussion over to the DFW Hornheads Yahoo group.

Laters,