Where do you buy tubes?

Craig6519

Dean,

I think they only way to tell if they are truly tested or not is to test them yourself once the eBay transaction is over. I have purchased tubes before from sellers there but only from ones with an extremely high feedback number. I also go in to the user's feedback and click on the last twenty or so transactions they performed to see what kind of items they are selling and/or buying. There really is no guarantee but risk brings reward sometimes.

Radiohead has the right idea. I have bought many tubes off ebay using the same technique it works well. I have yet to be stung. Heck I bought 8 tubes last week alone ! I find to get the best deal buy them in 1-2 at a time quads drive the prices thru the ceiling.

You not only want the test scores from the seller but also the minimum good for the tester used. Most 12AX7 in good shape score near double the minimum on my Hickok and most all other testers.

Craig

Not sure if you are looking for new or used, but

12AX7 Mullard, made for Sherwood with both names on it. Used. Tests new. In plain white box. Lettering quite clear. Four available.

$35 US

http://www.dsuper.net/~167418/vaud/tubesales.htm

He also has Telefunkens for the same price.

Not sure what you can get off of ebay and what price you will pay for them. I have bought tubes from Marc before and have been happy with them.

Just my two cents worth, (3.86 cents Canadian).

John,

Matching the 12AX7 and 12AU7 are not a absolute necessity but they should all be strong and within reason of each other like 20% or better the 12AX7 and 12AU7 do not need to match each since there not the same tube. These tubes are not run at there limit so the effects of not being matched are not a big deal like your output tubes.

Craig

Craig,

This link that Dflip provided is from a great guy that stands behind what he sells he is a avid member of the HH Scott website and here also. He also makes custom cases for Scott amps. This would be a safe bet and $35 each is a fair price ! Tell him we sent you from the Klipsch forum just so he knows where the business is coming from if you decide to pickup a few from him.

http://www.dsuper.net/~167418/vaud/tubesales.htm

Craig, once you get the Tele's please post your thoughts on their sound vs another brand you may try. The Telefunken's are noted for their clarity and detail. Along with clarity comes a sound that, to my ears, is more forward.

I'm interested how that plays with your KLF30's. Good luck!

Keith

Talktokeith

Craig, once you get the Tele's please post your thoughts on their sound vs another brand you may try. The Telefunken's are noted for their clarity and detail. Along with clarity comes a sound that, to my ears, is more forward.

----------------------

I have a pair of 6U8 Telefunkens and agree with your clarity and forward comments. They sound very good, but took a couple of days of gettting used to. The Dumont 7687's have a fuller sound, but not as much clarity. It is trade off.

As for the 12AX7's, I found I needed to remove about an inch of caulking from the squawker when I put the Tele's in, They were very nice sounding , but a little more relaxed in the presentation. My 5751's sound nicer, but are only 70% as efficient. They may not be a good mix for your Eico.

I believe the smooth plates are the prefered Tele's.

Good luck.

I bought some 6BL8s on ebay. NOS NIB RCAs that test as new supposedly. Can;t afford Telefunkens. Hope these will work. I have GE's in now and no idea how old they are. i just wanted some spares in case a tube goes bad. Ordered a $12 Sovtek 5AR4 just to have an extra.

Seems like NOS tubes sell for too much but I didn't see too many new 6BL8s out there. Fun to experiment I guess.