Speaker recommendations for Dynaco ST 70

paul cbc

Hello!

I have recently acquired a Dynaco ST 70 amp that I plan to pair with a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp I am going to build. I have done a search and did not come up with anything. I would like to pool the tremendous knowledge base here as I am interested in experiencing the Klipsch (and Horn) Sound. My listening room is 11'x17' (WxL) with the speakers going against the shorter wall.

I listen to jazz, rock, blugrass and some vocals.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!1.gif

A good day to all!

My thanks,

paul

kjohsonhp,

Thanks for the input. Differences between the Cornwall & Heresy? Are there placement considerations. I am not familiar with the Forte-well any of these really, not firsthand.

The budget is a bit flexible(uh-oh) so I'd like to keep it open, at least for discussion.

I appreciate the help!!

paul2.gif

Here are the specs on the Forte, Heresy II and Cornwall speakers from this website:

Forte:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 32Hz-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY: 98dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator

DRIVE COMPONENTS: Three-way design using one 1" (2.54cm) phenolic diaphragm compression driver tweeter with a 90°x40° Exponential horn, one 1.5" (3.81cm) phenolic diaphragm compression driver midrange with a 90°x40° Exponential horn, one 12" (30.48cm) front-firing, fiber-composite cone woofer and one 12" (30.48cm) rear-firing, fiber-composite cone passive radiator

TWEETER: K-75-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x40° Exponential Horn

HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 6000Hz

MIDRANGE: K-53-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

MID-FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x40° Exponential Horn

MID-FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 700Hz

WOOFER: K-23 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone active / KD-13 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone passive

DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 35.4" (89.92cm) x 16.5" (41.91cm) x 12" (30.48cm)

WEIGHT: 56 lbs. (25.4kg)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

FINISHES: Walnut Oil, Walnut Lacquer, Oak Oil, Oak Lacquer, Finished Black

YEARS BUILT: 1985 - 1989

Heresy II:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 63Hz-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY: 97dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (400 watts peak)

MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 114dB SPL

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Sealed

DRIVE COMPONENTS:

Three-way system using one 1" (2.54cm) polyetherimide diaphragm horn loaded compression driver tweeter, one 1.5" (3.81cm) phenolic diaphragm compression driver midrange with a  Exponential horn and a 12" (30.48cm) direct radiating, fiber-composite cone woofer.

TWEETER: K-76-K 1" (2.54cm) Polyetherimide diaphragm compression driver

MIDRANGE: K-53-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

MID-FREQUENCY HORN: Exponential Horn

MID-FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 700Hz

WOOFER: K-24-K 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone

DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 21.375" (54.29cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) x 13.25" (33.66cm)

WEIGHT: 37 lbs. (16.8kg)

FINISHES: Walnut lacquer, Mahogany Lacquer, Medium Oak lacquer, Unfinished Oak, Black Lacquer

YEARS BUILT: 1985 -

Cornwall

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 38Hz-20kHz±5dB

SENSITIVITY: 98.5dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 105 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via front-mounted port

DRIVE COMPONENTS: Three-way system using one 1" phenolic diaphragm compression driver tweeter with a 90°x40° Exponential horn, one 2" (5.08cm) phenolic diaphragm compression driver midrange with a 90°x40° Exponential horn and one 15" (38.1cm) fiber-composite cone woofer

TWEETER: K-77-M 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x40° Exponential Horn

MIDRANGE: K-55-V 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

MID-FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x40° Exponential Horn

MID-FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 600Hz

WOOFER: K-33 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone

DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 35.75" x 25.5" x 15.5"

WEIGHT: 108 lbs.

FINISHES: Walnut, Rose, Teak Oil, Oak, Cherry Lacquer, Natural, Mahogany, Maple, Raw, Black Birch

YEARS BUILT: 1959 - 1985

I own a pair of Cornwalls, while a friend has Heresys and Fortes. I would rate them Cornwall, Forte and then Heresy. The Fortes are smaller than the Cornwall (WAF), not quite as full a sound, but very good. The Heresy needs a sub to go low. Not sure how much the Fortes will save you over the Cornwalls, but you would be happy with either one with tubes.

Heresy speakers would mate extremely well with a stock ST-70. When I used Heresy's all the time I used a sub to fill in the bottom end and the system sounded great once tweaked (which proved to be a shore) ! But the Heresy's sound great without a sub too !!

Craig

paul cbc,

I've noticed that Forte, Chorus and Cornwall (I's and II's) are selling for hundreds less than they did earlier in the year on ebay. Presumably because folks are orienting themselves to outdoor hobbies now.

With prices down, if you can find either Forte or Chorus close enough to avoid shipping you might stay around $500. With Forte you might even be able to buy and ship for that amount as they're small enough to go via UPS. But be careful about packing.

I recently bought a pair of Chorus IIs and I'm very pleased. Luckily I received them in good condition, no thanks to the seller who totally ignored our understanding as to how they would be packed. Insurance would not have paid a claim. I'd drive a long way to avoid shipping large speakers again.

John

Dflip, Craig, jtice-Thank you for your help.

Dflip-appreciate the specs, they are very helpful. With the speakers you touched upon-Forte, Cornwall, Heresy, any placement considerations for the speakers?

Craig- Would you have a reccomendation of Heresy vs Heresy II?

jtice-thanks for the perspective on ebay. I will start surveying prices.

Really appreciate all the well tuned advice people are so generous to provide.

My thanks,

paul2.gif

paul, that is a great amp! heresies are likely your only heritage option, as mentioned before. they are a nice match with your dynaco-bottlehead components, but are somewhat bass-shy.

RB-5s would sound quite good with those components but are likewise slightly weak in the deep bass (after all they are stand mounted speakers!). In that small room you should be fine.

depending on your musical taste and listening habits, either of those could be great choices (I love my RB-5s and heresies !)

I might also suggest, if you have the patience, keeping an eye on ebay for an "el cheapo" offer on other klipsch speakers. you may pick up the corns, fortes or other models below $500...

another possiblity is to save up, IMHO the speakers are the number one key component in the system and it pays to invest the bulk fo you money in that part of your system. bumping up a few hundred would bring into the realm of possiblity quite capable speakers! you components can (and deserve) to be mated to top quality speakers.

regards, tony

Tony, et al,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. For sake of discussion, IF money were not the driving factor, which speakers to pair with my equipment/room? Cornwall, Forte, Heresy-in that order as stated above? Others? Also, any thoughts on Heresy vs Heresy II?

My thanks,

paul

10.gif

Dflip-appreciate the specs, they are very helpful.  With the speakers you touched upon-Forte, Cornwall, Heresy, any placement considerations for the speakers?

--------------------

The closer they are to the wall the more intense the bass, the further from the back and side wall the greater the soundstage. It is a direct relationship. I find two feet out from the wall to be a good starting place. Then try moving them 2 inches at a time until you get the right spot. It takes some time. but is well worth it. Moving closer or further away should yield the result you are going to be happy to live with.

Paul,

Never heard Heresy II's but I'm sure they are very similar. I based my speaker recommendation on your budget not by the best speakers. The Heresy being bass shy is not going to be a big issue with a ST-70 in stock form the amp itself will be shy on the bass side also. I will say that buying the best speakers you can afford is your best option. I haven't heard the other speakers mentioned here so I will not comment but I would think they all have advantages over Heresy's.

Craig

cost no object? I have heard cornwalls and they would sound great in your room. an st-70 would mate well with them. BUT perhaps one of the Reference series? I still think that might be a nice match, RB-5, an RF? (the powered sub helps a lot). MTC, tony

tony,

Thank you for the ideas.

Hadn't thought about the reference series. Still thinking about Heritage as I'm embracng a vintage sound/setup.

I have the luxury of time so I'll be keeping my eyes open for Heresy's and sneaking peaks at Cornwalls, etc..

Thanks again!

paul

The two most dynamic speakers in the Klipsch lines are the Reference RB-5 and the LaScala. Food for thought if you place a high value on dynamics and have limited space.

With your musical tastes, either a set of Heresy I's or RB-5's would work fine. If you go with the Heresies, You want the older ones. Either of these speakers, raised up, and placed near corners and angled into the listening room will give you plenty of bass.

I actually prefer the Heresies over the Cornwall -- I think they have more coherency. Box me into a corner -- and I'm taking the RB-5s. Give me more money and it's the RB-75's.