The Green Pen Jitters

So I`m about to buy this used CD at a local shop.. see. And I open up the case and I`ll be damn if there`s not a green etch around the very edge of the thing. I have read where this reduces the disc from wobbling, or for lack of a better word, jittering. I mean this is an ugly habit and I hope that no one is going to tell me I have to start sketching on my CD`s to make them sound better. Does anyone out there mark on their discs or was this just a fad that has come and gone? No sleep for the curious.5.gif

You know, I really have not heard that much abut it either. I mean I have seen a couple of articles about it in the past 10 years or so.. Not that I`ve been look`n for them but...I don`t remember the jest of what the articles had to say about the subject. I know someone out there does. Maybe they`re closet greenpenners. Open up people! Put the cap on that marker and let`s talk! 9.gif

Check out

http://www.fullswing.com/audioprism/stoplight.html

for a little info. This is one of the most famous of tweaks. I have purchased some used discs that have been treated with this, but of course I don't know what they sounded like before treatment.

Most people think this idea is total unadulterated bullsheet. But a lot of high-end audiophiles swear by it.

Wow! $55.00 for 3 markers. Is anyone going to pay that much for markers to vandalize their collection? I don`t know man, I get upset when I have to write the title on a blank CD. I would need to hear a side by side comparison. Has anyone done this? And why green? Why not black or yellow or.......

----------------

On 5/18/2003 3:53:50 AM middlecreekguy wrote:

So I`m about to buy this used CD at a local shop.. see. And I open up the case and I`ll be damn if there`s not a green etch around the very edge of the thing. I have read where this reduces the disc from wobbling, or for lack of a better word, jittering. I mean this is an ugly habit and I hope that no one is going to tell me I have to start sketching on my CD`s to make them sound better. Does anyone out there mark on their discs or was this just a fad that has come and gone? No sleep for the curious.
5.gif

----------------

Well, here's a link to get a disk mat which will accomplish the same thing. Yep, Yep, Yep. It's an accessory available on the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb U.S. Distributor's website. I'd never heard of it before seeing that link.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/demat.htm

The green pen thing was a BIG fad back in the 80's when CD's were still new. Putting the green ink on the outer edge was reportedly keeping jitter down by blocking reflections of the laser at the outer edge. There was also a rubber band type of thing that you could wrap around the CD to help stabilize the disk.

Monster Cable even had a product called the Discus that would actually go in the CD player along with your cd. It was made of black metal and was supposed to stabilize the disc and improve the sound since there would be no reflection from the laser. As you can well imagine some CD player's did not like this - too thick with a CD and the Discus in the tray, others did not mind it. I bought one, and probably still have it somewhere I do not recall any sonic improvement, just another gimmick to add to the list I suppose. I do recall the colored rubber/plastic bands that would fit around the edge of the CD as well. Hey remember 3" CD's (CD/EP), I think I still have a couple of those as well.