Does size really matter?

I bought some fuses for my La Scalas today as I blew those that were in both speakers after turning off my computer. The resultant 'pop' of current from the computer turning itself off blew the fuses. Enough background ...

After picking up the fuses and walking to the register I wondered about those of you who use large diameter cables both in the cabinets themselves and from amp to speaker.

Is there really any benefit to using such large speaker wire when the current must pass over the hair size filament in the fuses before they get to the speakers?

Just curious,

Tony Boone

Instead of worrying about the size of your cable you should be trying to figure out how to get your computer off of the same circuit as your system.

At any rate, with your big solid state stuff you should be running at least 12 gauge if the speakers are more than 8 feet apart.

----------------

On 5/18/2003 8:47:41 PM DeanG wrote:

Instead of worrying about the size of your cable you should be trying to figure out how to get your computer off of the same circuit as your system.----------------

(I can hear the moans now.) I've been using computer as a source for sound. It's all I have right now for that purpose. For DVD, CD and a lot of mp3s. When I shut down the computer (rarely do this, it's on 24/7 99% of the time) I forgot I had the preamp set to the computer input. Anyway you get the picture.

At some point I'll make the jump to a really great cd player but right now I have to many other things going on. As far as that goes I just got my La Scalas about 2.5 weeks ago.

Please don't flame me 5.gif,

Tony

I don't think anyone is going to flame you. There are several here that do what you are doing and love it. Is there anyway you can get your computer on a different receptacle? If not, you might just be better off never turning off the computer, or turning off the audio gear before you shut it down.

----------------

On 5/18/2003 8:40:10 PM NOSValves wrote:

My wife always tells me it doesn't but I think she just doesn't want to hurt my feelings !!

----------------

You get that too?? .... hmmmm... i wonder what they are tring to tell us? 6.gif

Ah yes, every electron must go through the fuse, with its hair thin conductor.

The theory, and it's valid, is that the chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

However, an opposing theory is that the fuse is no more than an inch or so long, and the bad effects that it causes are consequently less than the 10 feet of speaker cable.

Another thought is the speaker itself is a 'closed' system; all interactions within it are engineered to be reduced, only the speaker cable is an unknown and as such should be as forgiving as possible.

Of course in addition to the fuse, there is the voice coil wiring, which is many times longer than the speaker cable, and undoubtedly much finer gauge. Again the addage is it's part of a closed system.

My own crossovers don't have fuses, but were I to have transients like you describe I would rather suffer the bad audio effects of a fuse than the bad audio effects of sending your speakers in for repair.

Dean,

I think the issue is the spike from the audio card hitting the amp (and then speakers), not that they are on the same circuit. If the PC/soundcard powered off cleanly, this probably wouldn't be an issue. Turning the audio system down first should take care of it.

Marvel