Shipping La Scalas

Can anyone help me out there. I have a pair of La Scalas on ebay for sale right now, and someone asked me to figure shipping from me in Maine to him in Nebraska. I got a price of $1500!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've read many accounts of shipping costs over the last 6 months from people sending Khorns, La Scalas, and even MSSM's for $150 to $300. So why am I having so much trouble even finding a shipping company to take these, and why when I did finally find one place, is the cost so damn high?

I've called at least 6 different trucking companies, only a couple will even move them, and they want astronomical rates. Am I asking for the wrong thing, or what? I can't imagine. Please help.

Greg Roberts

Thanks Moon. I checke with them, and they will send them from Boston to Omaha for $130. That's a great price, I think. But I still need to figure out how to get them from Central Maine to Boston, about 2.5 hours of driving. I guess I could drive them down. We're way up here in the boonies you know! I can't believe there isn't one shipping company that can bring these from somewhere here in Maine to Nebraska.

Greg

Thanks Moon,

You may have helped me as well. If you remember, I built the pair of "runt" Baby Belles and needed a price to send them from VT to NJ. UPS Store didn't even want to touch them. Another local company told me to figure on $500.00 with insurance. Ouch!

Thanks,

Don

m00n's right about this.....if the buyer and seller can get to a Forward Air terminal, they are the way to go. Trouble is, Forward Air only has terminals in major metro areas, so for some, it can be a hassle.

I will still drive 2 1/2 hours to a FA terminal versus paying Yellow or other couriers 2 to 3 times the FA charge. And if you want door to door residential delivery?? Forgeddaboutit - that may cost as much as the speakers.

Forward Air has made deals possible that would not have been financially feasible otherwise.

Hello Don, I saw your auction for the homebrew Belle's - nice work by the way. The closest FA terminal to VT is in Albany, NY I believe. I got lucky when I sold my Belle's the buyer was in Norwich, VT and drove to my place to pick them up.

Greg,

I've had good luck with Craters and Freighters shipping a couple of pair of La Scalas. They have a shipping calculator on their website, which has come out about $100 or more higher than the actual cost quoted by a live person on E-mail. For $25 they will pick up the speakers at your house, then pack on pallets and ship on a truck line. I would guess they could ship the distance you mentioned in the ball park of $500. Pickup, packing, insurance, shipping, delivery. Turn key. They know their stuff and do it professionally.

Dee