tube PA amp suitable for home Hi-Fi?

tpg

A local music store has a tube amp in stock, which has been there for... man... I am 17, been going to the music store with my dad for probably 12 years I remember... si they have had it about that long. Never sold it. I forget the brand... it is 60WPC push-pull with 6L6's on output. No added tone controls like guitar amps, just straight up PA power amp. It is fairly cheap... maybe $100. Would this give me a good taste of tubes... or would it be a waste of time and money? My dad knows the folks that own the place... I might see if they'll let me demo it in home with my Klipsch to see if it sounds good enough.

Thanks

? I dunno how many... guessing maybe 2... my dad's guitar amp (the reason we were there in the first place and I saw it again) uses four 6L6's (or EL34's) for a mono 120 or 150W output. It says 60WPC... that is all that I know. 2.gif

I will see if they will let me borrow it. My dad seems to believe it will not sound good since it is in a guitar shop... but in all honesty... he doesn't have a hi-fi ear. He has a lead guitar heck yes this stuff is loud ear... so, I have the advantage over him there. I don't play guitar and like to have my ears functioning like they do without deafening myself. (unless I am just really sad... it happens)

Anyway... I am probably the first person to look at it in years. lol It has really been there forever, so surely they would want to move it. But, do you think the price is too high? $100-125 probably. It is in a metal box... I can see a move to a wooden enclosure with brass top-plate in the future. 1.gif (if I get it)

Thanks

Well... it is a PA power amp. I have checked it out. It is stereo, four inputs (1/4" and Balanced XLR connectors) and two outputs. I didn't check for a volume control... so I may need to build a passive (or active) preamp. It's condition is very good, but note that it is made for pro use apparently, so it looks it. All black metal construction, enclosed (sadly) tubes. I called the guy down there, told him who I was, and he offered to let me try it without my asking him. He knows my dad... we buy a lot there. 1.gif So... I will pester my dad until we get it. teehee

trespasser_guy

If it is an older PA amp it will be a mono amp and very likely will have been optimised for voice in the design process. Take the seller up on his offer to allow you to try it out. If possible try to get an accurate spec sheet. I don't doubt that at $ 100.00 +/- it would be a very good buy but only for someone who had a legitimate use for a monophonic PA amplifier.

Don't let your understandabledesire to own a piece of sound equipment of your own choosing lead you into buying something that will not meet your needs.

It is stereo... that is for sure, so plus? maybe... I will try before I buy. If it doesn't hold a candle to my solid state receiver... well it wouldn't be worth it to me, so I'll let it pass. It hasn't been sold in about, oh, 10 years, so I don't think it is moving anywhere fast. lol

If the amp has been sitting for ten years unused, I wouldn't just plug it in and fire it up.

The caps may more than likely need to be re-formed.

Or don't give up the cash until after he does turn it on.

You might get a free fireworks show.

Like Lynn mentioned, tube PA amplifiers were voiced in the midrange frequencies for public address.