Scott 299A and Forte IIs - How will they sound?

boomac

After a busy weekend on eBay, I'm anxiously waiting to audition a couple new acquisitions. With some great insight from MBM135 and a little prompting from Craig, I picked up a Scott 299A Tube Amplifier and a Type 314 Tuner over the weekend. I also scored another pair of Forte IIs and now the wait! The Fortes are on the way here and the 299 is on the way to Craig. I guess it will be a while but I expect it will be well worth it. I've tried my original Forte IIs with 4 different sources. A Yamaha, a Sony ES, a Pioneer SX 1000 (borrowed) and a Tandberg 2045. Each an improvement over the pervious. Any thoughts on what I can expect to experience when the 299 arrives?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be quite happy. The Scott will reduce the brightness of the squawker horn and give a more open, room filling sound. It will sound better than most SS combinations, although some members have ones they like alot. Most people who have made the switch are quite happy with the results.

The next step is to find some better tubes. You need improved (NOS) 6BL8 phase spltter tubes and a good pair of 12AX7's for the line stage (CD)and phono (only if you play albums). In both cases it will make a difference to the sound. There are no substitutes for the 6BL8's and I am not sure which manufacturer makes the "best" ones. Check previous posting in the last few days for other options for 12AX7's(which brand is best debate).

There must have been a reason I kept most of my old LPs. I bet the next step is to look for a quality turntable. If and when I come home with one of those I better be ready to duck because that will be the point that she will no longer "think" I'm nuts! I'll have to use the old "I traded that old ___?___ for the turntable". Works most of the time.

Does the old vinyl really measure up?

Although I have not tried SS with my Klipsch Heritage KG2.5's2.gif , the Scott will also improve imaging/soundstage. To my ears the Telefunken smooth plates improve clarity and detail but almost give back some of the edge of SS. I haven't decided if the Tele bass is simply a leap in bass output over other tubes I've tried, or sloppy bass. Great tubes though.

I hope at some point to improve on the speakers in my 2-channel setup, but for me and for right now the Scott is exactly what I want. I reserve the right to change my mind though.

There is no doubt you will be impressed with the Scott. I hope you enjoy it.

Keith

Keith

I have a pair of KG 2.5s and I will never get rid of them. My kid may get them but I will always reserve the right to listen to them. I'll leave the tube selection and any modifications, on the 299, to Craig at NosValves. There are many who say that he has the "touch".

garymd, you are right about that. My wife thinks a Four Tops Tune, on the clock radio, is as good as it gets. Who needs BIG SPEAKERS?

Boomac-

Ah ha! You were the one that got that auction. I saw it pop up Saturday morning and had to go out over the noon hour. While I was out, I made up my mind to go for it, but you already beat me to the bid. Congrats. I know there will be others that come up. Let us know what you think of the Scott.

jhawk92, I first saw it listed in the wee hours of Saturday and was surprised that an item with the Buy It Now feature was posted at that time. I'm happy to get it and look forward to the first audition. I'll be sure to share the experience with you and others on the forum. If JM brings his McIntosh over we can really do an interseting comparison. Then, if the Scott sounds good on my Forte IIs, maybe I can talk John into trying it with his K-Horns.

It was kind of funny because you both were emailing me about the listing and I was trying to stay completely unbiased about who got it. So I just told you both :What are you waiting for" then I waited to see who grabbed them LOL !!! I knew at the fair price it wasn't going to last long.

Craig

----------------

On 5/22/2003 2:18:09 AM boomac wrote:

If JM brings his McIntosh over we can really do an interseting comparison. Then, if the Scott sounds good on my Forte IIs, maybe I can talk John into trying it with his K-Horns.

----------------

Its a plan. Looking forward to it.

Maybe if any of you are in the Milwaukee WI area and want to hear a comparison, let me or boomac know.

JM

I think I first saw the auction Saturday night about 9:30 PM. Hoping Craig was also having a boring evening, I shot him an e-mail requesting an opinion. I checked the forum to see if he was on line. Nope! I had a CC and soda, then another. I typed in my password five times but couldn't hit the button. No word from Craig. The kid and friends came home from the Matrix Reloaded. I had to hear all about it even though they gave it so so reviews. My wife woke up from a long nap. She was tired from pulling weeds all day. Everybody was hungry so I went out with the Juvies to pick up a couple pizza pies. I checked e-mail once more and no encouraging words were found. The Scott would have to wait. Sunday morning brought an e-mail from Craig suggesting I use the BIN feature and get it over with. I did and have since felt no (zero) buyers remorse. I'll post when we're ready to give it a go and as JM said above, any of you that might be in the Milwaukee area are welcome to stop by.

Craig-

That is funny! Pretty amazing how things go. While Boom's wait time was overnight, mine was over lunch, and your "Use the BIN feature and get it over with" email must have been sent just after you sent the one to Boom. He just read it before I did.

Glad someone on the forum got those. I'm still kicking myself over the 299B/350B combo that I got sniped on a couple weeks ago. No big deal.

boomac,

Good score.You'll be blown away by the detail of the Scott.I'm using my 299A with Khorns & hearing a lot of old music new.Dark Side of the Moon is Awesome through it.Good jazz-do you like to hear the plop of a saxaphone pad?I'm impressed with it,and with Craig's work.He makes square corners even when they are hidden.I'm a news junkie,and I've been muting the 5:00 & 5:30 broadcasts to listen to music that I have heard before.You'll be looking for Heratige soon,I'll bet.

SSH 1.gif

SSH, what do I need to listen to and besides the 299A, what do I have to listen to it on, to hear the plop of a saxaphone pad? Please don't say K Horns cause I ain't ready for that at this time. actually, I really do like the Forte IIs.

boomac,

Jazz at the Pawnshop_(hybrid SACD)

Some of the SET guys who are into jazz can probably steer you to great sax music & nuances that I'd love to know about.I listened to a Brubeck hybrid SACD last night with some blow-you-away-sax,but I don't know the title offhand.I'll get some suggestions from the xperts for both of us.

SSH

Boomac, I'm glad you're excited about your new Scott amp and don't have any buyers remorse. You'll be very happy with it. The tuner offers a bit of "cool" too. I used these for a few months on my Khorns and the amp sounds awesome. I decided to sell them because they're just not my style. I'm more into build quality than the Scott has to offer. Besides, I recently picked up a SET amp, and my world is upside down right now. WOW, what detail. Now if I can get the punch back, WHOOOAHHH! So, should I tell you how much I paid for the pair of the Scott's? I have had a string of good luck lately on the buying end of things. I'm glad that someone else here feels that the BIN price was fair. It's been interesting reading what happened on the other end of the auction.

Greg

Yea, I'm gald to have the Scott. I buy and sell a lot of antiques and sporting collectibles so I realize that there are many great scores out there. I've never begrudged any scouts their fair due, so what ever you made on the deal is ok by me. Many guys on this forum really like the 299s and I trust their opinions. The guys here are terrific about helping newbies with any audio question, problem or decision. The kid and I have spent more on new CDs, (thanks to recommendations from forum members) this past month, then I spent on the Scott stuff. It's great to get back into enjoying music and since I really dig "old things", the 299 will fit right in. Infact my wife will be thrilled that we have an antique that actually performs a function. Thrilled may be an over statement but at least she won't be mad at me. Yea, I am pretty excited. The Forte IIs, that I bought about the same time, have arrived and they sound just as sweet as my other pair. The Scott's arrival will be welcomed for sure.

Greg-

Guess it's good to know these were coming from a forum member and going to another. But if you run into any more good deals, you might post them here first, as there are always folks looking for equipment, myself included. 9.gif All the speakers I have sold have gone to forum members here, and it's nice to keep them in the "family." No sense in giving eBay their cut.