KG 4 Tweeters

I have a pair of KG 4 speakers. I believe the tweeters do not work properly

How can I check, other than audible, to see if the tweeters r working? As i recall the tweeeters have some type of safety feature that shuts them down when they r over driven.

Where can I purchase replacement units?

• 2 weeks later...

Those tweeters come out fairly easily, so if you're not sure as to where the distortion is occuring, take them out of the cabinet. You can purchase diaphragms at speaker service. They will run about $32 each plus shipping. I was lucky that I am within driving distance and they tested the tweeters once removed.

BTW, they come with what looks like fiberglass dampening material inside the little dome of the diaphragm. Remove that. I thought it was dampening material and left mine in. It didn't make a difference till it hit just the right frequency and then it distorted ever so slightly. Once I removed the material they play great 16.gif .

I dunno...I was under the impression ( from what I read other forum members said you can't get those from Klipsch ) they are an authorized Klipsch parts reseller. Correct me if I'm wrong, and if you can get those diaphragms cheaper let us know where...though it's way too late for me...

• Klipsch Employees

A meter will tell you if the voice coil is shorted or open, but that is about it

The price is about $20 each for the fix if they are bad

If you pull them out and connect the speaker wire from your receiver to the tweeter only, you can tell if they are working right. This can be a bit tricky, but a good test. It sounds like you have a meter. Set it to AC voltage and hook it to the speaker wires of your receiver. Turn the volume up to about 2.83V AC. This will equal about 1 watt. As long as you do not go over that voltage you can send most any signal,(short of pink noise) into the tweeter and not hurt it. When I test tweeters in the lab, I run them with a sine wave sweep of 20 to 20kHz at given voltage. They just dont play blow about 1kHz.

I hope this help

BTW: It is good to have lady, asking questions on the forum. Welcome!