yard sale steal of the month!!!

thepogue

Dude!!! That was classic! Are you telling us that you paid $350 smackers for the whole lot?? Not just the speakers? Damn, you might as well just stole the things 9.gif. The speakers alone usually go for around $500 to $600 on eBay.

That is a sweet deal you got there!

Great story and a fine grab at that! I got sweaty palms just reading it!

I had to check my old Audio mags to see when they last made that Carver equipment I and found the 3 pieces in the October 93 issue. The retail prices were $500 for the C-5, $1000 for the Tfm-55 @380 wpc, $750 for the Tfm-35 @ 250 wpc.

And sure enough, the Chorus 2's were $1800/pair.

Less than 10% on the original mrp. Enjoy your new found glory!

NP - Opeth - Blackwater Park

It's amazing what you can find out there when you know what you are looking for, and are willing to look. This is a classic page from my personal system building methods. I've only purchased two component items brand new in the last few years (my JBL bass cabinets at 20% of list).

The shock of this story is the seller KNEW what these cost in the showroom. Generally, when the owner knows the retail selling price, such good deals are not forthcoming - especially when it's Klipsch.

What kind of shape was the gear in?

Congratulations!!!

Excellent story.

Very well written. IMO.

You really verbalized the feeling, well.

Man, that's gotta be the one of the best feelings going.

Walking into a sale and seeing that certain something that you can't live without.

It really gets the old adrenalin a' pumping.

Makes you feel like a kid, again.

For me, finding gems like that will never go out of style.

Heck, this afternoon, I stopped at a garage sale and the guy said he had some records in the basement for sale.

Sounded intriguing to me, so I played ball.

As I wandered down into the basement with him, I stopped dead in my tracks.

What stood before me nearly gave me a heart attack.

No fooling.

This guy has some 30,000 albums for sale.

It's unreal.

Needless to say, I was like a kid in a candy store.

I raised my hands to the heavens and excliamed "I have arrived"

...and indeed I had.

FWIW. I stayed there for some 6 hours until I got walley vision. :)

Congrats on your new finds.

Excellent gear at an excellent price.

I'm sure you'll enjoy those ChorusIIs.

They are a force to be reckoned with.

Regards,

John

P.S. If anyone is looking for a specific, hard to find album, e-mail me at Soundthought@WebTV.net.

It is really a great feeling knowing that you got a pair of killer speakers for a sweet price.

I didn't do quite that well when I bought my JBL S-38's, but I did get a brand-new-in-a-box pair of tanks (list $500) for $180.

I'm bracing myself waiting for the open box pair of S-38II's I've got sitting on my shelf at work to come down to a similar price (since we're no longer carrying these speakers) - I'll ****** 'em up in a minute - they were the most underused speakers on my shelf, simply because the room (a cavernous warehouse environment) was totally wrong for the tone of these monsters to really shine.

They're sitting at $250 right now... {evil grin}

----------------

On 5/22/2003 10:23:32 PM dndphishin wrote:

The shock of this story is the seller KNEW what these cost in the showroom. Generally, when the owner knows the retail selling price, such good deals are not forthcoming - especially when it's Klipsch.

----------------

That lady probably just wanted to get rid of the things - after all it was not money out of her pocket, but money going in - as evidenced by "'My brother paid 1800 dollars for them speakers alone'!!....'but he's dead now'".

Somehow I knew you'd guys (gals) would get a charge outta that!! That's somthing I've noticed about this sickness...ah...hobby... ;) when someone gets that new gear or that special CD the excitment is authentically shared with others. I sure it's the same with other hobbiest/groups....but to be honest this has always been my passion....funny thing is that the first two non-audio friends of mine that saw the system asked "Hey, you already have a nice system...let me have that one!" this was at two completely different times!!...I looked at them as if they where eatting worms...my good friend is a youth pastor and I'd do anything in the world for him...(save letting him mess with my audio junk..lol) he asked "what in the world would you do with two systems?".......i said "Have you ever seen a coin collector with just one coin?" (try that on your wife sometime!...hehehe)

The condition of the equipment was an 8.5 outta 10. The power control knob (which is kinda new for me) on the tfm-55 is a bit wobbly....but hey once set it never gets touched. At this point I running them as mono blocks (ones 1000wpc and the other is 500 according to specs.) and you guys know how the Klipsch can sing and with that power...it's scary!!..I told youngest my son, a 17 yo to be cafeful...when he said a simple "ok" I made him look me in the face and said it again...i'm sure he was mummbling "geezzz dad it's not a flair gun.."...lol but it's set up in his room...and he only has two ears...lol

ok glad that to have shared. thanks fer letting me carry on!! BTW I see alot of Virginian folks here....beer tasting...i mean audio gathing this summer? hmmmm

Peace, Pogue

Great story, Pogue! I like the coin collector analogy, too. I don't think it would work on my wife, though. She thinks I already have rolls and rolls of the same coin, and wants me to spend them!

fini

----------------

On 5/23/2003 5:04:02 AM thepogue wrote:

ok glad that to have shared. thanks fer letting me carry on!! BTW I see alot of Virginian folks here....beer tasting...i mean audio gathing this summer? hmmmm

Peace, Pogue

----------------

Beer and hifi? I'm there, friend.

I'll bring my Mackie power amps (1500w continuous in bridged mode)- we'll see exactly how indestructible those Chorus II's are! 9.gif9.gif

Seriously, though.

You got the carver amps, now you gotta go get one of the Sonic Holography pres and hear what Bob's true vision of surround was... I got a buddy who picked up a Carver SH receiver at a local pawn for $500. Add in his 1.5T power amp and you've got some incredible surround (even out of his nasty-sounding Vega 15's and 12's)

----------------

On 5/23/2003 5:04:02 AM thepogue wrote:

BTW I see alot of Virginian folks here....beer tasting...i mean audio gathing this summer? hmmmm

Peace, Pogue

----------------

You're on buddy! Just name the time and place, and I'll try to be there 9.gif

I love the personality and humor that you are projecting on here - I think it would be such a hoot to get to spend some actual "face-time" with you.