help with vintage 16 ohm drivers for old khorns

khorn58

Check out Qman's recent post in this forum. The current Klipschorn woofer should work fine. Any of the K33 versions should be fine. You should be able to find them on eBay. I am not sure I have seen the correct Stephen swoofer (103LX2). But I have seen the EV 15WK, which was used at the same time, there fairly frequently. Do not confuse these with the more available 103LX and 15W. The ones for the Klipschorn have a lower DC impedance. And you can get your old speakers reconed. It will be with aftermarket parts unless you have the rare good fortune of finding a shop with a stash of NOS parts. Voicecoils can be custom wound, if necessary. A good shop can make them as good as new. Frankly, that is the route I would take to keep your treasure as original as possible.

Don't know any speaker repair shops on the east coast. A Brown Soun, that's right, no d in Soun, in San Rafael, California, is good.

Thanks All for the info and help.

I did look at the 60 speaker on ebay thats a strang one I dont think that university was ever used in a khorn probly used in a Rebel or somthing like that.

Why did my trusonics blow you got me.I have 4 khorns the two with other 15 are fine.

the othe khorns are a 51 with stock jensen and a 58 with a stock 60 driver(not sure the make but its has a cast baskit and is not a ev).

both trusonics that died were in diffrent rooms with diffrent equipment.

I have the 51 khorn paired with a 59 both are model B and look good together

The other set is a 58 and 59 Model D so they are paired together and llok the same.

My 59 model D is on its seconed trusonic as the orig one started to didtort do two a long ripe on it paper cone maybe 4 inch long,i boght a replacment trusonic with the same # on enbay that was fine until recently.

I am stating to lose fath in Trusonics but maybe its just bad luck.

hopfully I can get them reconed locally.

----------------

On 5/25/2003 9:01:06 PM Malcolm wrote:

Check out Qman's recent post in this forum. The current Klipschorn woofer should work fine. Any of the K33 versions should be fine.

----------------

The impedance of the two woofers is different so a change in the woofer inductor is necessary. This a good thing since the network components in those old units are

junk.

The C15W University will do a good job in the Klipschorn. Klipsch wanted to use it but couldn't work out a deal with University.

I'd, forget about the Trusonic drivers. Get the K33Es, they move alot more air, go deeper, take more power and are easy to recone.

I would suggest a K 33. Some of the early woofers outer surrounds were treated with DBP (DIBUTYLPHALATE) to lower compliance. Paul Klipsch Personally worked on Jensen, EV, Stephens, University units to lower Fe & compliance in 1948,49,50. etc. Im shure cones are pretty dry by now. Also shellack was used on cones to keep DBP from leaching down the cone.

Don't know if a woofer inductor change is required or not. The nominal impedance of the speaker is not the governing factor. The actual impedance at the crossover frequency is. I have Heresys from 1965, 1972, 1975, 1978, or something like that. I can never remember the exact years except for the 1972, my first pair. Some have 16 ohm woofers, some have 8 ohm woofers, all have the same woofer inductor. I measured the impedance at various frequencies on all the woofers some time ago. They were all very similar at higher frequencies.

In any case, it would be a good idea to check with Klipsch tech support to find out what, if any, crossover changes are recommended when going from a Stephens woofer to a newer one.

Well I dont wont to mess with my crossovers at all want to keep them stock.The bass response was a perfect blend went plenty low to

as well as the whole speaker.I love the sound as they are and a lot think they sound better then the later ones.

I will just rob they EV 's out of my 59 short horns for now then hopfully find a good recone kit that works on the trusonics.

There is somthing magic about the old khorns the 58 and 59's sound great but the 51 sound even better.someday I love to find another 51.or copy its crover with vintage parts.

khorn58 - if it helps to restore your faith in the stephens tru-sonic drivers, i've got a 40 year old pair in my vintage custom made khorns. i got them 16 years ago from their original owner, and i've been running them with a citation 22 amp (200 watts per side) amp with no problems. i periodically see them on ebay, but you have to watch for them all them time as they don't appear often. sorry, i'm not parting with mine... :)

Boy, I don't know. The Trusonic is generally considered the woofer of choice in the older K-horns. I'd definitely think about reconing them, although you need to remind the person doing the work to put voice coils with a 3.2 or so dc resistance in them. The cabinet raises the impedence.

If you are blowing a bunch of Trusonic drivers, you might want to look elsewhere in your system for your problem. The Trusonics I've been aquainted with over the years were pretty durable - and forgiving.

The trusonic was not necessaraly the woofer of choice at that time. Looking back at his tech. papers & letters to certin insiders I found other woofers were used. JENSEN P15-LL comes to mind plus others. These were treated to lower resonence. the k33 is now a spin off to what is now the woofer of choice. you wont be sorry in installing k33 in 59 K horn. Later if you still want to restore or find another trusonic you can do it at your leisure.

The funny thing about both blow trusonics is they were in diffrent sytems.

I had one paired with a 51 (that has is orig Jensen 15 which works fine and sounds great.

The other was with a 58 that has a cast basket klipsch 15 speaker make ??? .

The jensen in the 51 seem to have the best bass sound of all my klipsch speakers.

KHorn58 - I don't know if he can help and I'm pretty far south of you but email Ray Ihndris at "The Speaker Factory" in MD - ray@speakerfactoryusa.com. I got some grill cover material from him the other day and he seemed to know his stuff (including Klipsch) and had a pretty impressive inventory. Maybe he knows someone up your way who can help.

Yes... The JENSEN 15-LL was a great woofer in the K horn. Paul klipsch & George Ashworth spent a lot of time making that model work. Using DBP on outer surround to lower complience. Im suprised you have that woofer. Who is George ASHWORTH? Thats another collegue who helped in the early days of woofer problems. Remember speaker manufacturs back then were not interested in making special woofer for the KHORN. It was AFTER this STEPHENS took the P 52 & developed the P 52LX2 for Klipsch. And the linage went on from there. It wasnt easy back then for Paul to make each of these woofers to work right & also had to shellack the cones to keep DBP from creeping down into cone. How do I know? I own 155 tech papers & letters on the development of X1, X2, X3 Khorns between Paul Klipsch and Ashworth (chemist & scientist) Who gave support in those early years. These papers go into great detail about those horn developments, high frequency horn development, & woofers and drivers used. As yet I havent published them. I dont know if I should turn them over to University in New Mexico .( Klipsch archive) or what. These are valuble I know. At the moment I still hold on to them undecided. My wife knows not to destroy them if any thing happens to me.