Klipshorn AA Crossovers

lynnm

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That window is definitely unfortunately placed but because the room is smallish using a false corner is out too so I am going to modify the side grills to allow the speaker to fit snugly into that corner. I currently have the grill off on that side of the horn and the speaker pushed in to the corner. They sound just fine.

The toe plate will naturally be stained to the same colour as the front panel.It was necessary to add the toe plate as that speaker had very serious veneer chipping. I have oiled them with Boiled Linseed Oil which I tinted with a high quality artist's oil paint.

I will be posting before/after pictures soon.

lynn you WILL have greatly reduced bass response from that side...before tweaking anything I would strongly recommend reconsidering a false corner for that speaker. why is it out? it would not take up any more space than the speaker itself (6 inches more in each dimension in fact)...I am sure everyone else will back me up, corner for the k-horn before anything/everything else. tony

Sunnysal

1.) I envy you mi amigo ! Khorns driven by superb equipment in a climate that is essentially perfect year round ! Madre a' Dios!

2.) I suspect that you are misinterpreting that pic. The window is about a foot from the corner. The speaker as shown in the pic is not pushed into the corner as it should be because unfortunately the grill on that side happens to have a cross piece, (The one that the upper Triangularbrace is glued to) that mates up perfectly with window sill <*&(&&&*&&^^%$!>. I currently have the grill removed and am looking for a competent woodworker who will make me a new frame featuring the necessary modifications.

3.) How are you enjoying your new preamp ? Could you send me Jean Francois' address as I would like to get in touch with him.

Gracias

thanks for clarifying lynn, I WAS really worried about that corner, from the photo it was not obvious to me that it actually fit in there! re: jeff, I have not bought his preamp yet (still using my vintage Marantz, which is NOT too shabby I might add!) but I did by his PP amplifier and it is marvelous! best investment I have made to date in my system (besides my k-horns of course!) his email is jeff.lessard@sympatico.ca he is a great guy and gives far too much value for the dollar...enjoy the k-horns lynn...tony

jhawk,

I unbolted one of the diodes and removed it from the aluminium plate it was bolted to. That removes both from the circuit, but makes it easy to restore their operation. I have K-77-Ms that have a 5 watt continuous, 50 watt peak rating. The K-77 is 2/20 watts. I will not damage K-77-Ms in my relatively small 18' x 20' room. K-77s are a different matter. With them sane, might be better called polite.

Removing the diodes removes a harsh hash at LOUD SPLs. Below 2 watts to the tweeter (~108 dB), they have no effect.

lynn, I looked again at the photo and your post. the window is one foot from the corner, right? you need at least 3-4' of wall to finish the bass horn, otherwise you will lose significant bass output and extension on that side. I am surprised no one else has mentioned this after seeing the photo and the posts back and forth about this. but unless I remain in the twilight zone (which is possible) and still do not "get it" the left k-horn is going to be performing way below par in that corner. I had a similar setup on one of my k-horns (floating one side) originally and due to all the feedback from klipsch b-boarders I ended up building a false corner...while I loved the sound originally I could not believe the difference once I added a false corner, night and day. tony

Jim-

Actually it was Randy Bey that said I could safely remove the diodes, if that is what they actually are. I have attached the pic again for further review.

John-

So are these really the diodes in question? Since I have the stock K-77 and currently running with a SS amp, would you leave them in until I get some tubes? Since I have a pretty large room, 16x24 with vaulted ceiling, the K-horns have plenty of room to sing, but to get them up loud, I might start to push 2W, so I'd hate to mess something up.

Rob

post-4465-13819247480892_thumb.jpg

Ok, I think I now have the hang of posting images to the BB. Here is my first shot at it, using the same x-over pic as above.

Klipsch%20Type%20A%20x-over%20close.JPG

So, are these really the diodes that I should pull out, or leave them in and not cause harm to the tweeters?

Jim-

While I don't know what a diode looks like, so my one class in circuits isn't much help, but those sure looked like resistors. I may try pulling one of them this weekend and see if I can notice anything. Thanks.

So why would someone put resistors in??

Those devices are very likely to be diodes.

If they have markings that indicate a + or - terminal or if they show a symbol that looks like a triangle with its apex sticking into a horizontal stick they are most definitely diodes. (The symbol would look a bit like this but the triangle would be closed at the rear.)

->/

I doubt that PWK was putting diodes in his tweeter lines as early as 1968 and in any event the ones he used were of a different form factor. I suspect that if these are diodes they would have been added by a former user.

Let us know how you make out. I would frankly to leave well enough alone if I were happy with the sound.

Hi Gang!

I have to admit that I too have one Khorn next to a window, but have not felt it lacks bass (the window is a foot and a half away from the Khorn), so I was glad to see I'm not the only offender. I was considering getting rid of the window, as it opens up to a patio anyway, but after looking at the real estate market out here, we may be able to make the move from our condo(minimum) to a stand alone house, in which case I will be looking for a more suitable room for my Khorns! Time will tell, and things are looking pretty good.

I had the AA crossovers and made the change to the ALK and it was one of the more substantial upgrades as I remember. Much more clarity...but I did nothing to the stock AAs, so keep that in mind.

Also inherited a Marantz 2270 my parents had that they no longer listen to. Had to clean the pots and switches, but she's working nicely now. Haven't had time to compare to the Adcom or Scott yet since we have a lot going now, but I'll let you all know once I do. The only thing I noticed initially was the bass seems stronger, but I'll have to verify that later. I owned a model 22 way back when, and have always liked Marantz...Tony, anytime you get tired of yours...I can give it a good home! 9.gif

Jhawk,

You do not have Klipsch installed diodes. Klipsch used threaded zener diodes bolted on an aluminum plate. Instead of what someone has added to you xovers, add the bulb and resistor as shown in the attached schematic.

post-2142-13819247481872_thumb.jpg