i was wandering about onkyo

wheelman

im in the market for a new receiver and i was wandering if the onkyo tx sr600 was good their coming out with the new one tx sr601 it has 85 watts per channel and 192 dacs for all channels and powered dual zone speaker setup witch would be worth the wait. I love my music almost *** nine loud. So im not sure if 80 watts high current will work for me. Buy the way i have the klipsch synergy sf-2 floorstanding speakers at 96 sensitivity and the matching center channel with cambridge dipole surrounds. My current receiver is the sony db840 witch is rated 100 watts per channel minimal. I am not sure if this is a high current low impedance amp though. I like the sounds of it for home theater but music seems kind of harsh on the top end. I was wandering would the onkyo even be an upgrade or a down grade from this receiver. I guess the db840 is near es quality they said when it was purchased at crutchfield. I like all the features of the onkyo but i heard good reveiws about marantz to. I like my home theater but music is hands down the best for me. So iam looking for the best receiver for music because in my opinion if it sounds good for music it will definitely sound good for theater. My budget is around 500 this would be me selling my old receiver to purchase a product. So it would really stink to down grade by accident. Another thing is i really like the punch and bottom end of that receiver just not happy with the top end. Now i am currently looking towards onkyo although iam considery marantz and denon mayby hk but probally would get but two watts per channel in this price range not to knock hk and arent the front panels plastic but i did hear they are loud for their power ratings so that might bring them into the arena. But back to question at hand is eighty watts enough for me my room is 22' by 12'. And love metal,blues,piano every instrument known to man kind if played to my taste. by the way i am new to this forum so hello everybody 1.gif

I recently upgraded from a Pioneer 100 wpc high power HT receiver to the Onkyo TX-DS595 (predecessor to the 600). The difference is worth the extra cost. The power is cleaner and louder with a lower power rating (75 wpc). Dolby Digital 5.1 movies sound more lively and dynamic. Loud rock rocks the house even better. If it is within your budget, I say go for it. I found this Onkyo demo for $300 (tax included) with no owners manual, that I downloaded and printed. I came home that afternoon and sacrificed my Pioneer on ebay $110 "buy it now" and sold it within hours. It just couldn't push my klipschorns like the Onkyo.

Good luck,

Jon Fleming

I HIGHLY recommend you listen at home if you can.I have owned several avr's under 1.5k,there is a big difference in sound between them to my ears.For music this is even more evident.

----------------

On 5/24/2003 8:27:57 AM Fish wrote:

I HIGHLY recommend you listen at home if you can.I have owned several avr's under 1.5k,there is a big difference in sound between them to my ears.For music this is even more evident.

----------------

are you talking between the denons or between the denons and onkyos. I defenitely need aandb speakers for my deck. So dont no if denon offers this in my price range. I heard the denons warmer and the onkyos are neutral. To me not having a harsh top end and good bass response with a very open soundstage is what i want. I know the difference about warmth when it comes to gutar amps i currently own a mesa dual caliber fifty all tube amplifier and it sounds way better than solid state. Of course i couldnt afford a seperates system fo tubes. The onkyo seems to have every thing i need. I dont no if the denon avr 1803 has two main speaker outputs. If it do does you think the denon is better for stereo music? 16.gif

----------------

On 5/24/2003 10:32:08 AM wheelman wrote:

----------------

On 5/24/2003 8:27:57 AM Fish wrote:

----------------

are you talking between the denons or between the denons and onkyos. I defenitely need aandb speakers for my deck. So dont no if denon offers this in my price range. I heard the denons warmer and the onkyos are neutral. To me not having a harsh top end and good bass response with a very open soundstage is what i want. I know the difference about warmth when it comes to gutar amps i currently own a mesa dual caliber fifty all tube amplifier and it sounds way better than solid state. Of course i couldnt afford a seperates system fo tubes. The onkyo seems to have every thing i need. I dont no if the denon avr 1803 has two main speaker outputs. If it do does you think the denon is better for stereo music?
16.gif

----------------

Acutually i am sick of racking my brain reading other peoples reveiws i am going to take your advice and get the onkyo 601 on back order for when it comes out. Their really isnt any way of telling till you hear it in your own living room. I basically boiled it down to the powered dual source output for deck speakers. So you can listen to two differet sources at a time because my system is all hooked through my receiver including my tv. This will allow other people to watch tv or play video games while i sip on a beer and enjoy the rays. Also it is high current low impedence design with wide range capabilities which is important for clean sound. Their built like a tank to very good looking in my opionion which helps match my complete black entertainment center. Thanks for your guys imputs well appreciative 16.gif

Yeah your right about the cambridge they sound weird and they are all most to diffused. You really dont hear rain drops or anything like that but you do thunder and wind but rain and lightning arent that apparent. Another thing is weird when i run my test tones they sound louder than my klipsch's which is impossible so its hard to set it up properly. I just have to get a radio shack spl meter and that will work. I really need to get some klipsch's for the back but can't afford them right now. As with my post im in the market for a new receiver. Hopefully my 85 watts will be enough. Ive been testing some subs lately and they really dont improve on the sf2's just makes for a louder sound usually but not as deep and full and accurate so i cant complain their. I'm very anxious to her the klipshs through high current they sound good now. I ve tested so many brands in my living room and nothing sounded good. I was starting to think i was going to have to sell my home ha ha. But i finally found something descent in the klipschs. I used to have cerwin vegas the older ones that went down to 28 hertz ezily and sensitivity at 98 they would really rock. I had the cops at my house to many times especially when i had a few brews. So i ended up getting rid of them to my buddy their well taken care of they don't make the cerwins like they used to thats for sure. Acually would you know of a cheaper rear speaker that would go good with klipsch's the only catch is the have to be kind of small i got them hooked up on both sides of the couch way up high above to door ways. That would be the back wall with the couch five inches from the back wall. Normally i dont have them like that i usually have them to the side walls but i painted my room and wanted to conceal the wires better for a cleaner look. It looks really good but not that great of a sound for tv but dvd is really accurate.

Wheel,I'm sorry I can't comment on the recent onkyos.The last one I had was an 898 well over a year ago.Previously I owned a 656 and 777,both of which worked fine for the year or so I owned them.I upgraded to the 898,$1200.00(retail about 1500.00).I was disapointed with it,I'm now very happy.Don't give up,there is only so many new avr's in the 500.00 range.Well taken care of used/refurb/display may get you twice as much for your money (buyer be aware).good luck. ps.I thought I read something in this thread about a tube guitar amp.I have a Marshall jcm900 half stack, 100watts,it sounds like a thousand,for guitar amps,tubes for sure.

I have been using the Onkyo 777 for just over 2 years for HT, & am very happy with it. It is my third Onkyo receiver, & I have never had a problem with any of them. The reason I picked the 777 was because of the pre-out/in jumpers. I feed the front channels out to my Adcom amp, then feed the sub out to the front channel amp in to drive the subs.

Fish: What kind of problems did you have with the 898? You are not the first one I have heard was unhappy with it.

CY,The 898 problem was strictly a matter of sound,music and 5.1 concerts to be exact.It did not sound as good as the 656,777 as pre/pro to me,actually much worse,I really was surprised.It was cold and hard and lifeless,imo,in my system(Carver/ Klipsch)and room.This was just my observation,others could well enjoy it,we all know when we hear something we like.

Yeah i just ordered the new onkyo 601 can't wait till it comes in. Ordered it today and they said it might arrive tommorrow thats quick.It had everythig i was looking for not to many bells and whistles but enough because i like some. I went for that because of the high current capability. I emailed klipsch and they told me what to look for in an amp they didn't recommend any specific brand but they said look for an amplifier that will play at a lower ohm with signifigant increase in watts tells wether it can handle good peaks. The onkyo does just that i think its rated at 225 dynamic at 3ohms. But anyhow i will let you all know how it sounds. And by the way anybody check out the new metallica video filmed at san quentin killer. Yeah buy the way Fish i have the mesa/boogie dual calibber dc-5 fifty watt all tube head with a recto vertal 2by12 cab with custum ninetys in it. Im thinking about changing to the vintage thirties but i kind of like the bottom end of the ninetys. Tubes all the way for guitar for sure nothing captures your emotions like tubes do. Check you later

I got my onkyo in and it sounds pretty good smooth top end and nice warm panning on the surround sound. It made my tv and dvd look awesome with that 50 mhz switching. But it just doesnt have the balls the sony does or clarity so i am packing it up and sticking with sony next receiver will be one of the es models. I didnt no what i had or appreciated it till it was gone. I really am going to miss the picture quality it had to offer and some of the warm sounds it has, but the es has 100 mhz switching and will have more oomph. Another thing is the onkyo weight was the same or less than my db sony and that is with an extra amp for 6.1. All and all it is a great receiver with a remote that will control everything and composite to s conversion i think i will put the money i save by sending it back on surrounds. I cant say anything bad about this receiver it is really good just not enough oomph enough said.

I must say, you'll be equally disappointed with the current crop of Sony receivers. If that Onkyo didn't have enough 'oomph', a Sony ES will do no better. Go Harmon Kardon, Denon, or Yamaha - you'll find the high-efficiency, high-current amp you're looking for.

Pssst: You can get a sealed-box Yamaha RX-V2300 on Ebay for $500-600 - it's well worth it.