Swapped my RSW back plates

m00n

First sorry for starting a new post, just wanted a fresh clean post with no off topic posts. 4.gif

Ok so I took the back plate off the RSW-15, plugged it into the RSW-12. The 12 powered up fine and sub was working.

Hooked the plate from the 12 up to the 15, the 15 still has no power at all. I am thinking the amp is shot? Yes? Do these subs have sepparate power supplies or are they built into the amp itself?

"Do these subs have sepparate power supplies or are they built into the amp itself?"

I did not open my RSW's yet,when the plate is removed look in the sub,use the rusty flashlight.There should be an amp fixed inside.

Ok simple question mOOn...how many cables did you disconect when removing the plate with the controls?If only two(speaker leads)then the woofer may be shot(VC)...would be strange.

Look inside the box

Oh and there really is no easy way to look in there. There is only two small little openings. one would have to take the driver off in order to really seen in there, but I don't know which one to take off and not sure that I want to take the wrong one off and risk mucking up a driver. If I knew which one, I would be more willing to pull a driver off. Could it be the drivers? Seems to me if the power is not coming on that would not be caused by the drivers being shot. Remember, I have NO lights at all, neither green or red.

Oh and one more thing Ear.... What came off the circuitboard did not look like speaker wire. Where the controls are is a printed circuit board, there are computer motherboard style connectors connected to it, my guess is these are going to the amp and NOT directly to the driver.

Moon

I am not sure if you know this, but the back woofer is the active one and the front one is the PR. So, if you are going to take a sub off, take the one off that was on the same side as the amp or back one. Incase your still not sure, power up your 12 and see which one moves most. If you can play a 60-17 hz tone or something, that would help because the PR would have a less chance of moving. Hope this helps.

CD

Where did I go? To work 1.gif

At work now

BEFORE REMOVING ANYTING BE SURE YOU ARE NOT VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY WITH THE STORE OF PURCHASE.

Yes the back woofer...is the err woofer.The front is a PR.Remove the PR(no wires attached no danger of pulling any wires)with the PR removed you should see the idside quite well,and the amp should be mounbted on the bottom of the cabinet.If you have a digital cam take a pic or two of the amp and the woofer back(if you can the PR also)

Ear, i do have a digi camera and yes, I will take some pics... no probs on that. It will be interesting to see what it looks like in there.

I am suprised to find out that the pr is the front driver though, I would have thought it was the back.

----------------

On 5/29/2003 4:27:44 PM TheEAR wrote:

The front "driver" is passive and no wires are conected to it.This is why I recomend removing the front.Be careful dont twist a wrist or drop the PR on your foot.

LOL

----------------

man's sub is broke and you kick him anyway8.gif

....so wrong...funny though...9.gif

~shoe

----------------

On 5/29/2003 8:15:51 PM shoe11 wrote:

man's sub is broke and you kick him anyway
8.gif

....so wrong...funny though...
9.gif

~shoe

----------------

Hey, would you look at that he did bust my chops. I read over his post too fast and didn't notice.

Ear you chump. 2.gif

No I try to take some stress away

Take pics of the inside(woofer magnet structure,power amp)plus one of the PR.I do not have the key to unscrew the damn bolts,if I had I would look inside.

Oh and take a pic of the damaged foot(the one the PR landed on) 3.gif

• Klipsch Employees

The front is the PR the back is the active woofer. It is about 36 lbs.

The amp is mounted on a board vertical in the center of the cabinet. You get to it from the passive side. The board has many holes in it to let air pass through.

The center hole holds the woofer magnet up.

I will try to find my pics of a clear sub and post them. They did not work so well, but man they look cool

Trey Cannon,

Thanks for the input

"I will try to find my pics of a clear sub and post them. They did not work so well, but man they look cool"

If memory serves me well(and it does)you told us you would post these a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

2.gif

If you could post these pics I(as well as many Klipschers)would be grateful.

They did not work too well!? Velodyne makes the SPL800 and HGS10 in clear plastic too(in acrylic?),as I have noticed only the most compact units are offered in this finish.I canguess the larger would require thick walls and would cost too much.

Yes I would like to see these clear Klipsch RSW subs

Just wanted to show a picture of my spare Klipsch 15" woofer,in case you've never seen it.m00n it sounds like you may have to pump up,get in shape to pack the beast in for repairs.

post-9397-13819247527882_thumb.jpg