Home Theater Tune-Up

DillonW

disneys Atlantis (the lost empire) the movie. In the set up features it has thx setup for sound and picture. After using it to set up my picture on television it was wearth it even no the the movie isnt that great. But if you have kids it kills to birds with one stone. Picture quality is good because you set it up to thx standards.

• Moderators

I just got the Sound & Vision tune up dvd and it was very easy to use. It has all the calibrations for audio and video i needed, from what i figure just a condensed version of avia, i got it from there web site.

• Like 1

----------------

On 5/30/2003 1:33:34 PM Danartdis wrote:

Ok you guys have convinced me. I have had the HT up and running for 1 1/2 years and have never done any calibrating so I just finished ordering the Sound and Vision disc. Now I have to go get a Rat meter.

----------------

Never in the last year and a half have you balanced your speaker levels? Wow. Be prepaired for your system to sound different to some degree. Your ears will need to adjust.

First time I balanced my speakers the first thing I noticed was a smoother transition from the fronts to the surrounds.

I have Sound & Vision's HTT and I always find when I calibrate my speakers, the bass always seems like it's lacking, but the rest of the speakers sound fine. So I popped in my Ultimate DVD Platinum to check if the levels were the same and found the sub channel was 11dB low relative to the other signals on the Ultimate DVD. After I recalibrated with the Ultimate DVD Platinum, the sub sounded balanced but now I needed to turn up my rears 3dB to get the levels. When I listened, my rears sounded too loud. So now I calibrate my video and 5 main speakers with S&V and then use Ult. DVD for just the sub channel(this was using DD and DTS signals).

Anybody else experience this with S&V or any of the Ultimate DVD's?

Just something to consider when you see the lower priced setup discs. It might just be something with my DVD though.

fabulousfrankie-

Some of the Tune Up DVDs have a -10 dB compensation for the sub channel. It's been a long time since I looked into the reasons, so I'm going off my failing memory...If i rember correctly, it has to do with the the DTS & DD standard (or recievers) boosting the .1 channel by 10 dB, so to get correct calibrations Avia (not sure about S&V) has has dropped the .1 by 10dB. I'll bet that Ultimate DVD has not done such a correction, so that is why you are getting the 10dB difference. So right now you are running your sub 10dB hot....could blow a sub if you are not careful! Having said that, alot of ppl like to run the sub a FEW dB hot (+3dB or so) but you have to watch out for cliping if you do.

----------------

On 5/31/2003 12:06:47 PM DrPyro wrote:

fabulousfrankie-

Some of the Tune Up DVDs have a -10 dB compensation for the sub channel. It's been a long time since I looked into the reasons, so I'm going off my failing memory...If i rember correctly, it has to do with the the DTS & DD standard (or recievers) boosting the .1 channel by 10 dB, so to get correct calibrations Avia (not sure about S&V) has has dropped the .1 by 10dB. I'll bet that Ultimate DVD has not done such a correction, so that is why you are getting the 10dB difference. So right now you are running your sub 10dB hot....could blow a sub if you are not careful! Having said that, alot of ppl like to run the sub a FEW dB hot (+3dB or so) but you have to watch out for cliping if you do.

----------------

Unfortunately, I don't think that's my problem. When calibrated w/S&V, my RF-3II's(set to small) pumped out more bass than my CS Ultra. I started wondering am I just a bit basshead or is there something wrong? I plotted my freq. response and my sub level was much lower than the level of my RF-3II's. I redid this after calibrating with Ultimate DVD Platinum and the level between the subs and mains were consistent. I've tried different cables and I recently changed my dvd player and receiver but I have to recalibrate everything today, I'll see if one of them were the culprit of my problem.