Klipsch +Denon receivers, too bright?

damonrpayne

Upgrading home theater: I've had several demos with the Klipsch reference series in stores and I'm sold on the Klipsch sound.

When doing demos with Denon receivers (the 2803 for example) it seems a little bit "bright" to me, the highs are so sharp that it seems a bit piercing. Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions for other brands? So far I tried the Harman Kardon AVR 325 and it didn't sound nearly as "bright". Just wondering what other people's experiences have been.

Damon, trust your ears. It sounds like the H/K sounds good to you, so make it a candidate for your next receiver. Likewise, the Denon doesn't sound as good to you, so eliminate that one from your consideration.

Some here like the Denon, some here like the H/K....it's really a matter of preference. FWIW, I've found that H/K has been a good match to Klipsch over the years - at least to my ears, anyway.

agreed...brightness is 99% opinion and personal taste. if you have doubts in the sound we can't help. you don't want to buy something because we say it sounds good. we can only tell you how kick @ss it is after you get it! 9.gif

good luck!

----------------

On 6/3/2003 7:51:57 PM damonrpayne wrote:

When doing demos with Denon receivers (the 2803 for example) it seems a little bit "bright" to me, the highs are so sharp that it seems a bit piercing. Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions for other brands? So far I tried the Harman Kardon AVR 325 and it didn't sound nearly as "bright". Just wondering what other people's experiences have been.

----------------

I am running the Klipsch RF-7s with a Denon AVR3802 and I don't think it sounds too bright at all. However, what may sound "good" to me may not be "good" for you. Like "dnd" indicated, you obviously didn't like the sound of the Denon, but do like the sound of the H/K. With that in mind, perhaps try some of the other H/K models, such as the AVR 525 that many folks on here seem to have good results with. Also, along those lines, see if you can try some of the Marantz gear. Since you didn't like the Denon, than you may not like the Yamaha either, which folks also say tends to be bright. Maybe this weekend, I'll dig out my old Yamaha R-V702 unit and hook it up to my RF-5s to try out.

Thank you for your input. I think I'll probably go with the HK. You're right on "my ears" but I do want to entertain other people with this system as well so I thought I'd get a quick sanity check to see if anyone else had noticed what I heard.

It's a matter of opinion. I bought a tube amp because I thought SS receivers were too bright with Klipsch. I have an Outlaw 1050 with ST-70 connected.

The OUtlaw alone with CDs and Klipsch can be down right skull piercing above 85db..."ice pick highs". My perception is that is true for all $1k SS receivers w/Klipsch.

This is mostly a problem with music which is why I'm currently running an all tube Scott integrated amp for music until I get a new tube preamp for my ST-70.

Placement can also highlight the brightness and especially room treatment (or lack there of).

Very surprised by Denon.....conventional wisdom has it that it is Yamaha that is too bright with Klipsch. I own a Yamaha and A Denon and frankly dont notice a difference. Every mfg sets their bias on the tone controls.My opinion is that in most cases the question of brightness of receivers is nonsense. If there is some small difference, simply use the tone controls to suit to taste.After all you could make an argument that a give receiver was not bright enough. I never hear that argument since apparently somewhere along the line "brightness" became an issue on all these forum.I would not make brightness a chief criteria for choosing a receiver.Denons are fine paired with all equipment.

On brightness:

Instead of saying "it's not bright enough" people tend to use "it is bass heavy", "boomy", "the mids overpower", or "it's overly warm".

On tone controls:

Some people don't like them, and if available in their systems they bypass the control functions. It's a minimalist thing in how they treat the signal paths.

----------------

On 6/6/2003 10:14:03 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

refrain from listening to stuf you cannot afford for comparissons.

----------------

That is the best advice I have ever heard.

Wish someone would have warned me about that a long time ago. Would have left me feeling a lot happier, and saved me a lot of money.

What about a Pioneer. In USA the elite ones THX ultra.

My findings where the same when I looked for a receiver.

It was back then a denon or an onkyo. denon to bright indeed. I went with the onkyo(676)

Now it is the Pioneer. Sounds very musical --> MOSFET amplifier.

klipsch speakers don't like agressive amps. It is the same with some denon dvd-players which sound harsh, bright and not musical.

But indeed just listen and judge for yourself. Klipsch speakers are very revealing.