pic and question.

arlku

I am new to this forum so I thought I would share a pic of my stuff. I also have a question. Where do think the ideal place would be for my sub? It is currently behind and to the right of the couch when you are sitting on it. It is in a corner.

All thoughts and comments are appriciated.

Thanks

post-12532-13819247609682_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums, arlku.

Very nice HT. My unprofessional opinion...as long as you're pleased with the sound coming from your sub at that location, then that's a great spot for it (as long as you're not getting alot of BOOM from standing waves). You can always experiment and try different locations for your sub, it can't hurt.

One suggestion...if you can, maybe you should place your center channel two shelves higher (if your rack's shelves are adjustable) almost ear-level to your seating position and level to your main's tweeters...just a thought.

Enjoy!2.gif

Hi Arlku, One nice looking setup and I bet it sounds wickedly clean and wickedly loud. I'm into placement a fair bit and have a couple of observations. I agree with JT1 that the centre could be up higher more in line with the other tweeter horns giving an even dispersion across the soundstage. Other factor in having it too close to the floor is half the sound waves will bounce down and either get absorbed or reflect up a couple milliseconds later which diffuses the sound image.

As for the sub. because the bass waves are longer and less directional, you might want to try moving it around for best placement. Real deep bass should be a fairly even set of tones from high to low without some getting obviously louder than others. That's called doubling and the room acts as a horn 'doubling' that particular frequency. Anyway, I'd love to hear some favourite pipe tunes on your setup. Take care. Hamish

I agree that the center would be better on the top shelf. I did try that and the TV will not go up any higher. The speaker was blocking the screen. Also, the second shelf is about 1/16 in. too short. It is angled up slightly on the bottom shelf. I don't know how much it is helping, but still sounds great.

nice system arlku and welcome to the forum. besides the obvious comments about the center channel (make sure you tilt it up a LOT so that it seems to point at your face when seated to minimize the negative effects from being so out of line with the other tweeters) I think the positioning of your sub sounds fine (a pic would help) do you percieve any weaknesses in bass or do you find it too easy to locate the subs form the sound? if not, leave it where it is. if so, then send a couple of more photos of the room so we can hunt for candidate locations. make sure those other speakers are set for "large" since they can put out nice bass as well! regards, tony

• 2 weeks later...

jt is sooooo right, i used to have the rc 7, positioned in almost the same way you now have yours. it sounded really good, but the dialog was not quite centered right? after i bought my lascalla center i saw the difference. i moved the 7 upstairs to my sons gaming system, it is now located on top of his system rack and the sound is much better, more natural. and the rf 3's as rears is a nice addition, the full range rears really add, much better than the rs seriese12.gif

I second marksdad. I just finished moving both my subs around for a couple of hours until they sounded "right" to me and then I still have to work through some gain adjustments between say movies and music. If you can get someone to help you move them while you sit and listen, and then vice-versa, it really makes the process of proper placement much easier.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I have moved my sub to the left of the tv and moved the rf7's out a bit. I move my couch back about another foot. It sounds much better. Infact, my neighbors hate me. They keep banging on the walls. What they don't know is I have it turn down really low. Some day I will crank it and drown out their banging :).

thanks

adam

Tyme to buy a house with an HT room...or... That's what neighbors are for...or... Tell them to bring some beer and wine to share... or...The tell them to get there own klipsch, and have a war...or.....The possibilites are endless............................I'm just being fecitious(however you spell it)..................if it sounds good to you .....it is good

lol,

My neighbors have all moved out11.gif

Seriously though, I've never had any noise complaints.

My apartment seems to be made out of concrete block with a thick layer of plaster for the walls between the apartments.

The guy who lived next door to me was from my college and a pretty nice neighbor.

I told him to let me know If I ever bothered him with my music or movies.

Right before he moved out I discovered that the only time he even heard me was when I was playing my electric bass at around 115dB.

Other than that I try not to play anything very loud after about 10pm.

Peace, Josh

Yeah it kinda stinks having neighbors. I live in a townhouse which is only a couple of years old, nevertheless, living right beside a busy street, whenever a bus or 18-wheeler flies by the whole place vibrates. Just imagine what happens when I crank up the system! When I first got my sub I only had it on for 30 minutes to demo Star Wars Ep. 1 and 2 before knock knock, Atlanta police at the door 14.gif.