ebay question

jdm56

I listed an amp on ebay, and was contacted a couple of days later by an individual interested in buying it immediately, outside of the ebay auction. He was agreeable to my asking price, and just asked for my paypal id so he could pay me.

Is this normal, acceptable, or even allowable? Am I being scammed, or am I paranoid?

-Ebay Ignoramus

Well James,

It is not allowable according to eBay rules as far as I know, but I have done it many times. Plus it saves me the end of auction fees. eBay makes enough damn money off us. A good CYA is to put that you reserve the right to end the auction at any time if a reasonable offer comes along in the auction text. You should be fine.

James,

If you sell it outside of eBay, you and the buyer are not "protected" by eBay (whatever that's worth). As a seller, who receives good money (i.e. through PayPal or postal MO, as opposed to a personal check which might be bad), I don't think you have much to worry about. It is against eBay rules, though. And it happens all the time. Regarding eBay protection, it's interesting to see what they won't get involved in, like non-paying bidders.

fini

Dumb question

If you both agreed on a price, why did he not simply bid that price? Let the biding determine what fair market value is. That is the entire beauty of an auction!

Why would you agree to a sell it to him without him bidding? You are cutting yourself short. Maybe there was someone out there willing to pay you more!

A lot of good points. I'm not really comfortable selling outside the auction. It just doesn't quite feel right. Oh well, it's a done deal this time. He paid with a credit card into my PayPal account. So, as long as the card is not stolen, I guess everything will be OK. And I don't think it is, just from my sense of him through e-mail exchanges. (I guess I'll see what THAT'S worth!)

Thanks all.