About those Quartets...

Geo1

Please tell me what you think about this. I won the auction on eBay on Monday for the Quartets. In the description, the seller did not say anything about an extra charge for packaging. Under eBay rules, a packaging charge is considered reasonable, BUT should be disclosed up front. The seller now wants to charge $25.00 apiece for packaging. This doubles the shipping charge from about $50 to $100 from CA to AZ. The purchase price was $405. Is this a ripoff? Am I being unreasonable to question this? Thanks for any thoughts you might offer. BTW, I avoided bidding on other speakers (Forte's) because these were such a great price. This extra $50 makes them not such a great price.

As you said, "a packaging charge is considered reasonable". True the seller should have disclosed those costs in his/her ad. If you feel it was a true oversight and they are truly in an excellent condition. You may want to negotiate with the seller for a reduction or shared responsibility due to their omission of those costs. However, you should emphasize that in no way are you willing to accept anything less than a steller packaging job. One that ensures the items arrive in their present condition.

Also, ensure that they are insured for nothing less than the selling price. Have the seller provide an itemized list of all agreed shipping/packaging costs, including insurance.

I e-mailed the seller back, questioning the packaging cost. I'll see what his response is. Ultimately, I'd be willing to share the cost, say, 50/50. However, it still irritates me. it essentially raises the purchase price of the Quartets to $455. You guys have a lot more experience than I do with this, asuming they're in good condition, is this still a good price? They seem to be pretty rare on eBay. And I think they'll fit my room really well.

I'd say . . . you're over a barrel. It is a learning experience.

The seller should have spoken about this up front. It is discussed in a lot of other auctions. The counter argument is that any potential buyer should recognize it and can e-mail the seller to make an inquiry because it is something everyone anticipates is an issue, unless you can transport it yourself.

Please excuse me that I'm not particularly taking your side or inviting a war. But I'd hate to kill the deal over a shipping issue. Really; they're gems and don't let them get away. Naturally, the next time you bid, this sort of thing will come to mind.

But this type of expense doesn't sound too unreasonable. There may be a plus in that you might want the shipping boxes in the future. You may eventually sell them (trading up), or move your abode, etc.

BTW I ran across two mint Quartets at a local used shop. Saturday Morning Audio, Chicago. It is not too far from the Curl Up and Dye beauty parlor which was in the Blues Brother's movie. Carry Fisher's place of employment and chamber for ruminating about Belushi.

I paid $460 and never regretted it. They did have the original shipping boxes, though.

Pay for a taxi? Never. I went back to the apartment building to borrow the communal grocery shopping cart which was hidden in a stairwell. I got that back to SMA where they gave me an odd look. You know, they said, we include some zip cord for speaker wire and you can use that to tie them to top of the cart. My poor spacial relations skills had made me hope that it would not be as bad as things turned out.

The result was very top heavy. Five block trip back to the apartment was not a joy. You never realize how uneven the sidewalk is until something like this.

About two blocks from home there was the sound of thunder. A few drops got on the boxes but I pretty much beat the storm.

So, from the above, you can imagine that I think you're getting away cheap. Smile.

I bought a pair of Forte II and brought them back from Milwaukee on Amtrack with a folding luggage hand cart for the trip from Union Station to the office. Again, only five blocks or so and the bridge over the Chicago River. They're heavy. I got some strange looks there too. Maybe there is something about me.

I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the Quartets. I am.

Gil

I

GEO1,

I just went back to eBay completed items and read the description. The seller did say that the buyer was responsible for all shipping costs. I guess none of us, that were encouraging you to go with the Quartets, thought to mention that it's best to establish S&H charges prior to the end of an auction. I have to say that the seller is probably within his/her rights to charge a fee for packaging. $25 per speaker seems high but if they do a really good job it will be worth it. Like WFGM mentioned, get the seller to insure for the bid amount. Once you have the Quartets home and have a listen, I think you will be able to forget the extra dollars. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier. Keep us posted.

Geo1,

My point of view is a bit different. If the seller has said all "packaging and shipping costs" that would be different. Packaging is not shipping, imho. True, it would have been preferable to work all this out prior to close, but in the absence of any written statement in the auction info stating that the buyer would be responsible for packaging costs (and preferably specifying the amount), I would say it's the responsibility of the seller. I would negotiate pretty tough on this, depending on just how badly I wanted the deal to go through. This is an additional 12.5% of the totalnot exactly incidental. I've bought and sold on ebay and have never paid or charged additional for packaging, even for an amp that was heavy and very well packaged. I think you have grounds to just tell him no way and let the chips fall where they may, although you may decide it's not in your best interest to do that.

John

It simply comes down to how bad you want the speakers. $455 is still a very good price for those.

I do know what you are feeling, it makes you want to tell the seller to stick it. I'm with John above -- if the seller did not specifically mention the packing charge in the ad -- you don't have to pay it. Since he has no feedback, you could tell him since he didn't mention the packing charge, asking for it after the auction is unethical. You could then throw him a real curve ball and tell him that if he does not deliver at the auction price -- you will leave negative feedback. Since he has no feedback -- this would pretty much end his eBay future.

Yeah, I'm in a mood tonight.

Thanks so much for all the "feedback," so to speak. Here's another oddity for those who mentioned the terms of "buyer pay all shipping costs." Monday, when the auction ended, that term read, " Buyer pays fixed shipping charges. Will ship to United States only. See item description for shipping charges." I printed this out on Monday and have the printed copy in front of me. I printed another copy yesterday. Sometime, between the end of the auction on Monday and today, that term changed to "all" shipping charges. The description contained no shipping costs. Now, I'm not saying that I didn't expect to pay shipping, just that it struck me as strange that the shipping terms changed after the auction ended. I contacted eBay about this and have not heard back yet. eBay's policies say that packaging costs are reasonable--if mentioned in the description. I don't disagree with anything anyone has said. I still want the speakers and, if worse comes to worst, I'll pay the packaging, but it might be reflected in my feedback. I think we'll resolve it. Thanks again for all the input. Different points of view are very welcome.

Okay, everyone is on a budget. A surcharge when you're in a weak bargaining position is an annoyance or a gross insult.

It is a lesson learned.

I say, pay the money, walk away. Or run.

It is good that this insight to the business world only cost you a fin or two. Others have had much harsher lessons.

Smile.

Gil

As an eBayer and an owner of the wonder and underrated Quartet, suck it up and pay the shipping. The seller did not know what he was doing (0 feedback) and could learn from a kind email stating that he could have been up front with detailed shipping information. Also, you should have inquired about shipping cost to your house. Ask Ask Ask on eBay. I now use fixed shipping cost on everything I sell so the buyer can pay me immediately and we don't have to quibble. You learn something and he learns something. As always, if you want it, you pay for it. If you back out, you risk negative feedback. I like the idea of splitting the shipping cost as you said, but in the end, it is best to learn, not quibble, and not make the same mistake again.

My oak Quartets flank my oak entertainment center with a beautiful oak Academy atop same. I doubt I can beat my setup for the money. And, like all Klipsch Legends/Classics, they crank with little output from your amp and offer seamless panning of sound.

Once again, thanks for everybody's thoughts on this. To fill you in a little more, I had e-mailed this seller on Sunday asking about the condition of the speakers and didn't hear back from him before the auction ended on Monday. I decided to bid anyway, recognizing that it was a bit of a gamble. Then he didn't contact me for two days after the auction and that's when I started to worry that he might be flaky When he did contact me it was with the $50 packaging charge. When I e-mailed him back, though, with my concerns, he was very apologetic and answered the question about the condition (sound-10/10; cosmetic 8/10) and proposed splitting the packing cost. He also said that the reason for the packing cost was that he wanted to have them professionally packed. All the right answers in the right tone of voice. I think this will work out fine. Thanks again, everyone, but remind me to stay away from DeanG when he's in a mood. 2.gif