Looking to get some Tubes - Is this worth it.

Frzninvt

The Scott 265A. Man, I'm drooling just thinking about those amps. I have never even SEEN a pair! These are about as comparable to a 299B as a '67 427 Vette is to a '67 Nova 4-door with a 230 and a Powerglide. This is another example of those RARE amps that run the best push-pull audio tube EVER--the 6L6. What are you running in them. I'll bet they ROMP with KT-66 or 350B. I am so jealous--I would LOVE to own these!

And the 4310 is probably the best tuner (sorry 10B fans) ever made--period.

You have VERY cool gear!

allan,

The Scott 4310 is indeed better than the 10B. I have owned them both and have sold the 10B just before we moved to the US 6 weeks ago.

The 265A won't work with KT66 and will only work with metal 6L6's since it operates in class A with 90 mA on each tube and only metal 6L6 or 1614 are able to take it.

They are great amps and are used by my father to power a pair of JBL C50 Olympus loudspeakers.

----------------

On 6/24/2003 4:41:03 PM Allan Songer wrote:

When you paid $209 for the MC-60s a typical Scott 299 was worth NOTHING or close to it!!! Even into the mid to late 1980's I was buying nearly mint 299s for as little as $25, but certainly no more than $50.

The reason vintage McIntosh and Marantz gear is so highly prized and valuable is because it's really GOOD and the build quality is second to none. Scotts are really cool little amps, but to compare a 299 to a pair of Marantz 5 running through a Marantz 7 or a pair of McIntosh MC30 running through a C22 is like comparing a nice '65 Mustang 289 with a Ford GT40.

That's the way I see it.

----------------

This is not to be an argument or disagreement, but in the '70s and '80s, there were a good number of people getting rid of "that old tube junk - that included 3 McIntosh amplifers (1 MC 275, 2 MC 40's) and 2 or 3 Marantz 8Bs that friends pulled out of the trash on the night before garbage pickup.

That does not include some of the NOS tubes I salvaged and traded. It was a sign of the times - people of a certain age bracket that did not keep up with all audio trends thoughts tubes were outdated, old technology, Solid State was the be all and as it progressed digital became an important medium. Cds were touting A-D-D, D-A-D, D-D-D, etc.. Now we're getting SACD's which may render some or most regular CDs as old because they're just 2 channel, sound is coming from multi channel etc.

As a lark, I tested the KT-88s that had been in the older of my MC 60s, Genalex Gold Lion - passed all specs for new - (my pair was obviously a Mono then addition of second for stereo - think of the arguments back then.....

Tube units for the most part can be repaired, modified, rebuilt as compared to a fair amount of SS which when it breaksdown, throw it away and get a new one. The tube units include Scott, and yes Mom and Pop had those too otherwise there would not be so many in such good shape still around. :) If I had been smart in '59 -'68, I would have saved my allowance and bought matched pairs of Genalex Gold Lion KT-88s for $19.50 (MP) to their high of $ 44.00 from Allied - Id be better off now.

So in the end, you can compare the quality of sound, like I said McItosh and Marantz were built like tanks. But for a good sounding integrated amp that is affordable today ( not as many of the parts left the country, still are and some of those sellers to out of the country are lamenting the high cost of parts, poor availability of units and parts and yet they keep shipping......DUHHHHHHHHHHH)

I've got original owners manuals for all McIntosh - 275, 240, 60s, 30s, C-20, C-22, MX-110, a Fisher stereo (bird with note in its beak on glass on a metal base and I can't find an original 299 C owner's manual, I also have original Service Manuals for the McIntosh . Would consider trade of one of the Mac manuals of a unit I don't own for the 299 C manual.

Ben - I may take you up on a good copy, let me know cost.

It's like my Pioneer TX-900 tuner. The person who rebuilt it was amazed when he compared it to his MR-78 and MR-80 extremely close in performance.

Not saying Pioneer is built like McIntosh or Marantz, but the comparison turned out quite well. So knowing quality difference (remember diamonds are carbon and one company mines most of them to keep prices artificially high) one can still compare the quality of sound between McIntosh and Scott.

I'll post my opinions on the comparisons - on the Chorus IIs, Cornwall IIs and Heresys.

Win1.gif

----------------

On 6/24/2003 5:59:15 PM NOSValves wrote:

Let me rebuild the 299C and it will probably blow the McIntosh out of the water !!!!

That should gets something going in here LOL !!!!!

----------------

Craig,

I'm suprised, you're talking about "blowing the McIntosh ot of the water..." Electricity and water are a dangerous combination, be careful.

(In my best Clint Eastwood voice and stare)

Son, you don't rattle a McIntosh owner, especially one that's pickin' up one those 299 Cs. Don't forget some of them Macs have been called the widow maker..."

The Dodger :):):)