Looking to get some Tubes - Is this worth it.

Frzninvt

I see alot of forum members really like their H.H. Scott integrated's, I realize that they come in different versions, A, B, C, D etc. Is this a good one to get? The price seems fair if it is working correctly I suppose. Thoughts? Do they work best with a TT or CD as a source or do they do both well. I have always been fascinated with tubes but have never really owned any, I father in law that passed away awhile ago showed me his old, old HK Citatation I or II power and preamp that was all tube. It even had a center channel output from what I recall. We hooked it to some Pioneer speakers he had it hummed and buzzed though. I wish I could have taken that set off his hands.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032209942&category=3280

At $299.00, it's a little more than what they go for at auction. The output tubes if original may not test strong, the rest are pretty durable.

It sure is clean, thats a plus. Keep in mind that you will need to have it checked out, for out of spec parts. NOSValves is the man on this site to help you out. If you buy it, ship directly to him for check up before powering it up. If the unit is as claimed by the seller & pictures don't lie, I think the added cleanliness of this unit it worth the extra few bucks.IMHO.

Tom

They have an excellent phono stage which is a great feature of the scotts. The cd player hooked up to the "extra" jacks work great also. With your TT, you just need to determine which of the 3 sets of jacks you should use based on your TT cartridge rating.

----------------

On 6/24/2003 11:40:11 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I see alot of forum members really like their H.H. Scott integrated's, I realize that they come in different versions, A, B, C, D etc. Is this a good one to get? The price seems fair if it is working correctly I suppose. Thoughts? Do they work best with a TT or CD as a source or do they do both well. I have always been fascinated with tubes but have never really owned any, I father in law that passed away awhile ago showed me his old, old HK Citatation I or II power and preamp that was all tube. It even had a center channel output from what I recall. We hooked it to some Pioneer speakers he had it hummed and buzzed though. I wish I could have taken that set off his hands.

----------------

Greetings:

The Scotts are a nice way to go. The advice re; NOSValves is on the money.

I have noticed the prices of good, I can't say low end or entry level the Scotts are definitely better than that, have been rising.

IMO this is due to the shrinking stock of NOS (new old stock) tubes, the chinese tubes questionable reputation and some of the new say 7591A's being larger and not quite fitting the Scott cabinets.

The demand is higher: Marantz and McIntosh are both excellent, but have developed status symbol almost cult following, driving the price up to ridiculous levels and for those that can't or won't pay the prices you get a real tube unit, but those prices are going up due to re-sellers and greed. Another problem with McIntosh and Marantz plus certain tubes is that International buyers have obtained units, parts, quality tubes and are now selling them back to us with markups that would make the grinch cringe.

I see this beginning to happen with Scott and Fisher tube, thus along with their popularity demand from within and outside of the country is beginning to raise prices.

Example of McItosh markup: I bought my pair of McIntosh 60s for $209.50 for the pair, $10.00 for each box, came with original owners manuals - they are in 8/10 scale minimum - bought in '72 or '73. Check out the prices now for a single let alone a pair - and I paid $125.00 for my C-20 with cabinet, telefunkens (same with the 60s plus Gold Lion KT-88s) and as with 60s original manuals and service manuals and company ads.

The 299 is a nice unit - go for it!

Win1.gif

Guy,

Chances are that it won't need a rebuild at all,and you'll be able to enjoy it just the way it is. \

I hate to rain on your parade but that is ridicules !! I have rebuilt at least 40 or 50 of these and have yet to see one that didn't need it they are always way out of spec. Its 45 years old !! I can absolutely guarantee you it needs rebuilding ! Running it in its current state is just waiting for the time bomb to go off !

Frzninvt,

That is indeed a nice looking amp from the photo's the "Buy It Now" price is a little high but not horrible . I bet its completely stock and is the way I prefer them !! But don't kid yourself it will not operate up to snuff and is a danger to the amp to run it without a proper rebuild whether you do it yourself or have it done.

Craig

Well, I sure have enjoyed my 299B. For me it has been a good way to get into tubes w/o breaking the bank. I hear people with alot of tube experience compare the quality of sound in these amps to higher priced amps. In bang for the buck it can be a good deal.

They can be rebuilt to get to spec with good results.

Regards,

Dee

p.s. if you get this amp, hope you can post about your reaction to the sound.

----------------

On 6/24/2003 3:19:50 PM DaddyDee wrote:

Well, I sure have enjoyed my 299B. For me it has been a good way to get into tubes w/o breaking the bank. I hear people with alot of tube experience compare the quality of sound in these amps to higher priced amps. In bang for the buck it can be a good deal.

They can be rebuilt to get to spec with good results.

Regards,

Dee

p.s. if you get this amp, hope you can post about your reaction to the sound.

----------------

Greetings:

Dee, you're on the money as NOSVALVES.

When I get mine into system, I will do an A/B between the 299 C and my McIntosh 240 - similar power, most fair of comparisons with what I have, I may even put it against the 30's.

Will report.

When you buy it see how long it has been since being used - I've learned from the Forum (thank you all) that it may be best to bring voltage up with a Variac.

And yes I'd like to hear (read) your impression when you get yours.

Happy tubing!

Win1.gif

When you paid $209 for the MC-60s a typical Scott 299 was worth NOTHING or close to it!!! Even into the mid to late 1980's I was buying nearly mint 299s for as little as $25, but certainly no more than $50.

The reason vintage McIntosh and Marantz gear is so highly prized and valuable is because it's really GOOD and the build quality is second to none. Scotts are really cool little amps, but to compare a 299 to a pair of Marantz 5 running through a Marantz 7 or a pair of McIntosh MC30 running through a C22 is like comparing a nice '65 Mustang 289 with a Ford GT40.

That's the way I see it.

----------------

On 6/24/2003 4:41:03 PM Allan Songer wrote:

When you paid $209 for the MC-60s a typical Scott 299 was worth NOTHING or close to it!!! Even into the mid to late 1980's I was buying nearly mint 299s for as little as $25, but certainly no more than $50.

The reason vintage McIntosh and Marantz gear is so highly prized and valuable is because it's really GOOD and the build quality is second to none. Scotts are really cool little amps, but to compare a 299 to a pair of Marantz 5 running through a Marantz 7 or a pair of McIntosh MC30 running through a C22 is like comparing a nice '65 Mustang 289 with a Ford GT40.

That's the way I see it.

----------------

Greetings:

I understand your post - and agree. I am not saying Scott is the same quality - parts, some design, etc.

The points of my post were in the original post of mine and the follow up post was to compare sonically the 299C to the McIntosh equipment to see how the sound is.

McIntosh and Marantz were built like tanks and the sound is there, no doubt. BUT a little comparison would be interesting, but they are different leagues.

Win

I have to agree with Allan on this one mainly because I am biased. While the Eico and Scott units do sound marvelous for their age and price they are simply not on par with the level of an up to spec McIntosh unit, especially the MC30's. That tube rectification goes a long way in seperating the men from the boys. My MC275 hasn't seen use since the first week I bought it and the MC240, which I used religiously, now sits in the corner with a blanket over it playing second to the MC30's. The real test is hooking up your cd player directly to the 240 through the "twin amp" setting and then comparing that to the cd player hooked up direct to the MC30's. Night and day difference in the midrange there. The sad thing is that since I have gotten in to McIntosh my poor Eico sits lonely in the closet. I still have a great amount of respect for that unit but don't see it getting any use in the near future.

Klipsch and Mac 3.gif

Hey Frzninvt, check this one out. I know it's only a 200b with 12 WPC, but it says in the description that it's been rebuilt. With Klipsch Heritage, I think 12WPC might be just right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3031565956&category=3284

I have a 299C that I'm selling if you're interested. It works, but probably needs NOSValves hands in it to really make it nice. I'm in Maine, come see and hear it if you want. I can send you pictures.

But I think that one on ebay might be a pretty nice unit, depending on what happens to the price in the next couple of days.

Greg

"The reason vintage McIntosh and Marantz gear is so highly prized and valuable is because it's really GOOD and the build quality is second to none. Scotts are really cool little amps, but to compare a 299 to a pair of Marantz 5 running through a Marantz 7 or a pair of McIntosh MC30 running through a C22 is like comparing a nice '65 Mustang 289 with a Ford GT40."

I have owned quite a few vintage Marantz,Scott,Radford,Leak,Quad and Mcintosh equipment.

Sold most of them and kept a pair of Scott 265A (actually 3 units) and 4310 tuner, and a pair of leak TL-10's monoblocks.

The 265A can equal or better any of them but is much rare than most of them.

My marantz model 2's were used 5 hours a day and are still being used by my friend, who bought them from me. They are completely stock and were checked by my tech just before I've sold them few months ago. He found that every thing was within specs and that is after 50 years of playing.

How do you explain this Craig?

Guy,

Because they were in use !! That is how I can explain it ! 99% of this gear has been sitting for years unused and will fail most McIntosh is a different story it wasn't owned by Mom and Pop and stored away 25 years ago ! Every Scott amplifier has one small part that costs $3 that I can guarantee is bad the problem with it is it controls the bias voltage and over time it gains resistance literally every Scott amp I have done this part was running 20 to 40% under spec voltage which in turn runs the tubes the transformers and everything to hot. Capacitors and Electrolytes do not fair well when left unused for years and then put back in service also. Another point is these Scott amps sound tons better when rebuilt properly !

Craig

----------------

On 6/24/2003 8:01:40 PM greg928s4 wrote:

Hey Frzninvt, check this one out. I know it's only a 200b with 12 WPC, but it says in the description that it's been rebuilt. With Klipsch Heritage, I think 12WPC might be just right.

I have a 299C that I'm selling if you're interested. It works, but probably needs NOSValves hands in it to really make it nice. I'm in Maine, come see and hear it if you want. I can send you pictures.

But I think that one on ebay might be a pretty nice unit, depending on what happens to the price in the next couple of days.

Greg

----------------

Greg,

Is your 299c the one which has the balance/volume control on the center channel? That would be a fine feature to control line out to a sub.

That is great for flexibility. In reading on the Scott forum, it seems that it was in only one version of the 299c that this feature was offered. 15.gif

Dee

----------------

On 6/24/2003 10:37:44 PM DaddyDee wrote:

----------------

On 6/24/2003 8:01:40 PM greg928s4 wrote:

Greg

----------------

Greg,

Is your 299c the one which has the balance/volume control on the center channel? That would be a fine feature to control line out to a sub.

That is great for flexibility. In reading on the Scott forum, it seems that it was in only one version of the 299c that this feature was offered.
15.gif

Dee

----------------

The 299c has a powered center? Nice feature. You could use another full size heritage without an external amp. The 299b works great with a powered sub though.