Scored La Scalas!!

AnalOg

I'ze just razzin o'le Tom, and taking a stab at Craig too boot :~) I'm sure with those LaScalas will sound dynamite with the MK III's.

Tom, with you're listening room, you may have to break down and get some acoustic tile going. I think you may end up fighting excessive midrange energy -- and don't forget the rope caulk!

RF-7 crossovers -- uhg. Yeah, it's solved. To be "perfect" I need to revert back to an inductor on the bass that uses the original DCR value. I think John Warren was right, and Klipsch used the DCR of the inductor to tweak the Qts of the woofers to the get the proper box/driver/port alignment.

Trey doesn't think my change should be all that audible, but it is! DJK told me I increased the woofer output by 1.27 db -- and it's definitely audible. To use the present inductors, I would need to increase box size (or remove all the baffling -- or two liters worth), and increase my port lengths. I haven't figured out the exact length yet -- I've got some wiz kids helping me out. Whether I do it or not remains to be seen. I'm sure I'll cave and just change the inductor back. I might even put the Solen back in I was using, which really did sound very good. Just a slight drop in DCR seems to be a good thing -- a radical drop really mucks things up.

Dean,

Some of us like to hear all the music so we prefer honest speakers. Then there are those that like that Flat lifeless sound !! I wonder who that would be ?

Tom,

I got you 9.gif now after you have listened to them for a few weeks send me your Mark III and for a few bucks I;ll put the massive Lascala tweaks on them !

"Tom, with you're listening room, you may have to break down and get some acoustic tile going. I think you may end up fighting excessive midrange energy -- and don't forget the rope caulk!"

With my current setup, although everything is bare in my basement, I think I'm experienceing great acoustics. This could be due to the fact that the room is so BIG (1700sqft.). The La Scalas should really fill it up with some serious response.

Tom

Tom,

The Lascala's and those Mark III's will over come any room acoustic problems don't worry about it. I would invest in some carpet though at least a very large throw rug. If it was me I would setup a near field listening setup in a 10 to 12' triangle start with the Lascala's point just outside your ears at the sweet spot and play with toe in and out. Pull then about 12" to 16" off the back wall. I have cabinets and a work bench between mine with 4' fake walls boxing them in and it really seems to help them reach lower. I can turn my KSW-15 on near full blast with the crossover at 60hz and not even hear the difference at all with 90% of the music I listen too so I just don't use the sub.The KSW-15 reach to 26 I believe so I really think 99% of music just doesn't go much under 45hz. I think my lascalas with the Bench and being in little cubby holes like there are reach to 45 hz easy.

Craig

As it stands now, I do have a 15X15 piece of carpet setup in my listening area. I have my setup in the corner of the basement. One side I created a false wall to "contain" low end sound, this seemed to work out pretty well, my sweet spot is about fifteen feet back and the speakers are about twelve feet apart. I would like to put insulation in the floor joists above the listening area at some time in the near future. I think this will tone a bit of the liveliness down, but honestly, it hasn't been an issue as of yet.

Tom

----------------

On 6/25/2003 9:04:03 AM rf3iicrazy wrote:

Picked up a pair of 84 La Scalas, can't wait to pick them up, hook them up, crank them up & see what all the fuss is about!
2.gif

Tom

----------------

Tom, you are going to love these. Of course, at some point you'll realize that your life would be complete if you only had some of Al K's ALK networks. You could build them yourself from the schematic he has so kindly placed on his site. '84... Yes, that was a very good year.

1.gif

Dee