SVS is going to get me evicted !

gtDark

No seriously, it is. Ok so I live in a townhouse, there is a ground level, a main level, and the upper level. Our main living area is on the main level, the middle level, and is where I have my system. Directly below us is a small apartment on the ground level. And of course, we share a common wall with neighbors on each side. Well I've talked with one side neighbor, and they're college-aged like me and don't really care about when I crank the system just so long as it isn't too late at night. No big deal. The other neighbor on the other wall though is super anal. Yes I do have my SVS in the corner on his wall, but that's the only place I had room for it. So whenever I play anything, (e.g. U-571 tonight, Hotel California yesterday, Eternal Darkness on GameCube the day before) at even the most moderate levels, the guy starts banging on the walls for me to turn it down. He's called the cops on me once already, so I want to get something worked out with him where I could at least enjoy my movies every once in a while. I've gone over to his place twice already right after he bangs on the wall, but he won't come down and talk to me! I've left him notes on his car to call me so we can discuss, but still no luck. So finally he comes over tonight to tell me he called the cops again. Now at least I actually have an opportunity to talk with him though. So long story short, he will NOT compromise in any form or fashion. No I can't set up a time to watch movies like once a week, no he won't talk to me anymore about it, he wants it to stop period. I know that a free-standing house is the best final answer, but this is where I have to live, and I can't do anything about that really, so I have to work something out. We live on a busy street, and the floor will subtely shake whenever a bus or 18-wheeler flies by, so you can imagine the place shaking when the SVS gets rocking. Any suggestions on how I can reduce the shake factor so that I can still live here yet also be able to enjoy my audio?

Are the police hostile toward you? Sometimes they can be great mediators in those situations and you could request, through them and with their attendance, a meeting with your neighbor to discuss a compromise such as x numer of hours/week from x pm to x pm to watch movies. Your neighbor may listen if the police try to help you with your situation. That must really suck though. Good luck.

I took the evil way out when I had this problem. the neihbors kept complaining about a "pounding that just keeps going and going" (from my RSW-15) and we knew their complaints were completely outlandish, so we bought a spl meter, found out the minneapolis legal limits for noise at the given hour of day, and the next time they complained (and this was 5 db within the limit) we told them we had an spl meter set to the legal limit, and they could call the cops if they wanted, but they wouldn't be able to do anything about it, and since than, no calls, no complaints, and I can just enjoy my system 9.gif

What a constipated dumb lard head,if I had a pencil neck like this besides me I would make all I could to make his life a misery.

People like this are good for the execution squad and deserve to be filled with lead and left on the field for hungry dogs.I would not even permit a human burial for these bums.

Make his life miserable,there are plenty of ways.When you walk past this clown ignore him,like air.If he calls for help pretend not to see let the SOB hit the pavement.

11.gif

I just love to see people like that hurt and in misery.

For reducing the shake factor...WHY DUD YOU BUY AN SVS IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!

Any real sub like an SVS,Sunfire,Velo HGS,Revel and you name them will SHAKE the walls and transmit low freq. Remember you only have a thin separation,the saltry dog lives besides you.

garymd: The police have been very nice about everything so far. It's just lame that the guy would waste the police's time instead of just talking with me like an adult. I think I'll give what you suggested a try, thanks.

prodj101: Who did you have to contact to found out what the legal levels for noise are? This could be a great way out of the situation. The only thing is, he only hears rattling ("it shakes my pictures" 11.gif), not really audible noise. I wonder if this situation still applies.

TheEAR:

"For reducing the shake factor...WHY DUD YOU BUY AN SVS IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!"

Because I'm into overkill of course! and I didn't think my neighbor would be a jackass, everyone else doesn't seem to mind.

Thanks for the responses.

Darth,

Trust me if I would be EVICTED because of some dog I would bruise his face and knock much more than his pictures.The slime would regret his arrogance and remember me for the rest of his days.

I dont start any wars,buy I damn sure finish them.

Why not let people live a bit and let the net fella enjoy his/her system a bit?

A few observations...

If you get evicted, SVS did not get you evicted, nor did your neighbor get your evicted. You got you evicted.

You don't have to live there. You can move. Might be a pain in the butt, but you can move.

Subwoofers and multiple family dwellings do not mix well.

Your neighbor may be an a**hole about how he is dealing with the situtation. One would think that the two of you could reach some kind of compromise. But sometimes you just have to please a**holes to get by in life. In this case, he probably has the law and the landlord on his side and doesn't have to budge.

Punching the guy in the face on the way out might make you feel good for a while. But if the guy is a big enough a**hole you will wind up in court, hurt, or dead.

Oh man I have a solution but it takes some help.

In the mid 80's my brother and I shared an apartment. The neighbor upstairs would call the security when we watched TV or played my Heresy's with a mere 70 Watts SAE amp. We had to endure their constant foot steps. We got real tired of it so we tagged teamed them. One of us would go outside and watch for security to pull in the complex while the other jammed out. When Security did pull in we would turn it off and turn on a movie and play chess. Security would knock and notice the absence of loud noise. We would answer and they started to write it off as a problem complainer. After a while they quit responding. I then borrowed my friends Cornwalls and a Carver cube. We laided them on their backs facing up. I inserted a RCA sound effect cd and proceded to play SR71 flyovers, Harleys, Chainsaws, and helicopters. The loudest was a 707 taking off. They moved out that month!!!

Michael,

Great idea,when many people tag team one dog the dog will have to lose.Power comes in numbers,and even ants will eat a large spider if they tag team the SOB.

I love to play plane takeoff recordings sometimes,what a rush.Or NASCAR at full blast,you can feel the power and sense the speed.

----------------

On 6/29/2003 9:32:43 PM gtDark wrote:

I know that a free-standing house is the best final answer, but this is where I have to live, and I can't do anything about that really, so I have to work something out. We live on a busy street, and the floor will subtely shake whenever a bus or 18-wheeler flies by, so you can imagine the place shaking when the SVS gets rocking. Any suggestions on how I can reduce the shake factor so that I can still live here yet also be able to enjoy my audio?

----------------

Unfortunately there isn't any easy acoustical fix for sound transmission in an existing building, and it is even a difficult task in new construction. From your description, you've got both airborne and structural sound transmission problems. Seeing that it's a rental unit and you don't want to invest a fortune in rebuilding the place, therefore I think social engineering is the way to go... with a combination of gary's and prodj101 suggestions.

I'd also add one... if you succeed in discussing the problem with the neighbour in good terms... suggest that you add little squares of double sided tape to the rear of his vibrating pictures. I know vibrating objects are annoying inside my own home... 9.gif

Later...

Rob.

I am totally with Malcolm on this one. It must suck to have someone breaking your chops when you want to listen to HT or music, but being an a**hole in return wouldnt be my first answer. The other thought that occurs to me is that its possible that there are other neighbors being affected by the sound and only one is complaining. I only get loud with my stuff once in awhile...maybe 2 or 3 times per month. Sometimes I am surprised that the cops havent been called on me. I think the house walls are thick enough in the winter to keep things pretty well contained but when the warm weather comes and the windows open up...I think it gets pretty loud in the neighborhood. Anyway, be careful.

Dan

Well it appears I have done it again...

That is my old SVS tube that is causing all the fuss down there in HOT-Lanta.

EARS wants to open up a can of whoop *** it seems but the other guy has rights too. For example I love dogs and by having dogs it has caused me to get into some rather heated conversations. BUT, if my dog dumps in the neighbors yard I am wrong. Period.

Try the SPL route to get some legal legs to stand on. I cannot imagine what that would be especially with all the car systems out there which I for one find to be a pain in the *** when my nuts are vibrating at a stop light from a car two cars in my rear but that is another story for another time.

Go talk to the guy. Work out a deal if possible. Invite him up for a movie of his choice. Maybe just maybe the HT bug may bite him too!

In closing, take care of my old baby down there Matt. It is a great sub. The PB-2+ should be here next week in time for my birthday!

Regards,

Mike

Hey Mike, it's good to see you are finally getting your new sub; it's been a while. I hope it meets and exceeds your expectations, as I've heard it will. Be sure and give all us your review though, especially in comparison to your old PC-Plus.

The bottom line with the situation is that although the guy is an ***, it's not against the law to be an ***, it's his prerogative. I just hoped that some sort of civil arrangement between adults could be reached, but he is unwavering in his opposition to any form of sub usage. With that in mind I do intend to search for laws/ordinances that allow me to legally use my sub. Keeping the system under a legal SPL limit seems the best way to excercise my freedom, but he has a problem with the rattling, and that is a different thing than audible noise. I need to talk to both ATL police and my townhouse association and ascertain what the real facts are regarding "noise." Until something can be worked out though, the sub will remain quiet 15.gif. Appreciate the comments though.