Khorns Lacking Slam

artto

I think Ive finally discovered the reason why some people feel that Khorns dont have that slam in the bass range. Or why some people dont think Khorns have much deep bass. The following is what was explained to me by an acoustics engineer via email and it makes a lot of sense:

You are absolutely correct in that these products (bass traps) being

called "traps" is a big misnomer. However, the marketing department loves

it. So what's an Engineer like me to do? :-)

I will address each of your points/inquiries separately:

- LENRDs (bass traps) do absorb relatively more mid and high frequencies when tested

under laboratory conditions. This is expected due to standard test methods.

(I.e., there is no standard test for low frequency devices.) What is

important with the LENRD is the placement. Since a large majority of low

frequency problems are sound pressure build ups in the corners of small

rooms, the size AND the placement of the LENRD work towards minimizing

these problems. While they will also absorb mids and highs, since they are

not occupying an early reflection point (usually) they will - perceivably -

affect the low end response of a room more.

- Your perception of having more and not less bass is probably a function of

where you are positioned in the room. The pressure building up in the

corners is a result of standing waves. While there are other points of

pressure build-up in the room beside corners, most often the opposite of the

pressure build up is experienced; a pressure "null." These are common near

the listening positions in small room recording studios. Since we cannot

absorb energy at a null point, we put "traps" in corners to absorb the

peaks. This has the result of nulling the null :-) In other words, where

there was cancellation before (e.g., where you are positioned in your room)

there is now - perceivably - more bass. The cancellations are reduced and

more direct low frequency energy from your reference monitors (or sub(s)) is

reaching your ears. It is somewhat counterintuitive, but that's what happens

physically.

I can tell you as a matter of fact, that installing 16 lineal feet of this stuff across the back wall/ceiling intersection, and stacked in the rear corners, has substantially improved the bass definition & detail, the bass response seems much more extended, full, and powerful, even at low volume levels. And actually, definition has improved even in the midrange & high end. Its almost like hearing my recordings for the first time again! Even the wife is impressed!

Mmm, too much science for me. The loudspeakers I have seriously auditioned, in my own home on my own system, do not measure as a deep as the big old Khorns, nor as flat across the broad frequency response spectrum. They often had bumps and dips of three dB. Which although it does not sound like a lot, it really is. If one frequency is down three dB and another frequency is up three dB. That is a six-dB difference, about twice as loud. In my opinion, two important characteristics make for the very best sounding music and movie reproduction system in the home: the effortless dynamics of ultra-high efficiency (>100 dB/watt/meter) and the tonal truth and proper timbrel definition of accurate frequency response (within 2 dB from 300 to 12kHz). 2.gif

Colin, I can guarantee you that you will never hear the true effortless dynamics of ultra-high efficiency (>100 dB/watt/meter) and the tonal truth and proper timbrel definition of accurate frequency response (within 2 dB from 300 to 12kHz) without proper acoustics. Have you ever seen the frequency response graph I posted on my thread in the Architectural topic area?

Also.6Db is not twice or half as loud. It takes a 10Db difference to sound twice as loud (in general, with music). 10Db to sound half as loud.

artto,

Can you explain what is the "stuff" you put at the rear ceiling/wall intersection and down the corners? How does one work them (it) into the visual aesthetic of the room? Most of us do not have a dedicated listening room (and/or a dedicates mate), so it's pretty much gotta look nice (obviously easier to incorporate into a modern motif, as is most audio equipment). I find this to be very interesting, as well as a major challenge.

fini

As an initial reply (more tomorrow, time is short rt now). I use combination of Auralex LENRD (LENRD stands for Low-End Node Reduction Device) & DST LENRD bass traps, Sonex panels with an anechoic wedge pattern, Celotex & curved (parabolic) Masonite panels. Very contemporary. More tomorrow on how to change that.

Artto

I can't wait to hear your room tomarrow!!!!

I printed out your numbers and a map to your house from my office. Got a few CD's picked out to bring along. Looks like a 15 or so min drive. I'll call you late morning to give you an ETA.

I'll give the rest of you a report of what I hear later in the week.

JM

I've been calling those "treble traps" for a long time.

For most of us, common sense can still be the rule of thumb. Good carpeting, thick furniture, and drapes -- will do wonders.

I think the K-horn has tremendous bass, I think part of the problem is your room size -- it's huge Artto! The cure for you is four SVS Ultras.