I need help with SATA hard drive

I just recently installed my SATA hard drive but the problem is I can't see it in Disk Management. I went to device manager and viewed the SATA hard drive (which Windows XP sees it as a SCSI Disk Device) and it said the device is working properly. Can anyone please offer any advice? Thanks! 1.gif

Do you have the appropriate hard disk controllers enabled in your bios? Two that come to mind are the primary and secondary onboard ide controller.

If you bios has a setting that enables off board controllers be sure that is enabled.

Additionally if you have a partitioning program like partition magic I suggest you create and format your partitions in dos mode using the emergency recovery disks. Just boot to dos and put the Partition Magic disk in and run the executable. If will give you a gui and allow you to work with all of your disks.

I run XP Pro and have u2w scsi drives in my workstation and use ide dvd and dvd burners. I also have a 160 gig ide drive I use as storage. I have no problem with using these various drives in my system.

Tony B.

Make sure

A.The SATA onboard controller is ENABLED in the BIOS(it should from what you say)

B.The SATA drive is properly conected,both the power and SATA data cable(here too it should)

C.The driver for your SATA controller is prpoerly installed in your OS

D.all three above met you should see the SATA hard drive in the device manager,then in Disk Management you should be capable of activating the drive and making a partition(or multiple)then formay the drive.

After format the drive will be active and the new asigned letter(s) will be seen.

Also your mobo would have come with drivers for the SATA. I know my ic7 did, and they had to be installed when installing windows XP, originally I couldn't find a way to get them working correctly without a reinstall. Now i just have to get it overclocking correctly and everything will be all good...

lynnm-

The beauty of SATA is that it no longer daisy chains 2 HDs on a single connector, therefore there is no such thing as a Master/Slave configuration on SATA. Its just plug & go, as long as the controller has been enabled in the BIOS and the drivers are installed in the OS.

-Dave