Studio Monitors

DBvader

I was wondering if someone on this board can help me pick out a pair of studio monitors.  Im helping a friend get the best set he can.  here are the requirements:

*Audio Fidelity is the most important

*No Surround Sound (stereo is fine)

*No Headphones

*200 - 500 range

thanks a lot

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm employed at a Guitar Center, and they carry near-field studio monitors from JBL, Mackie, Alesis, Event, and Yamaha...go to www.guitarcenter.com for more info and a location near you (they're having a big blowout this Friday the 4th...check 'em out)!

DBvader,

I assume you mean for pair? $200 would be a bit light. The Mackies will be hard to get for that. I have the Alesis Monitor One, the model that isn't the actives. The Monitor One Mark II is good for the money. The actives would be easier. The Events are also a good speaker. My mixes done on my Alesis sound very, very close when played back on my JBL4311 set. Amazing when the JBLs have a 12 inch and the ALesis have a 6.5 inch woofer.

I would love a pair of 4412s, but they are through the roof now. Maybe the Mackie 824 actives, but that is also way more money.

Marvel

"200 - 500 range"

!!! wow great beer budget,look for Yorkville powered monitors,you should find then around $400.Yorkville sound good for inexpensive monitors and are well built.

Forget Mackie,Genelec,PMC and Dynaudio,these cost way more.You could also take into consideration JBL,but they are also a bit over the budger fixed.

On a side note,Yamaha monitors are GARBAGE.Pure hype,like the Sony WM40 boombox.

Mackies are great equipment, worth the money IMO, and make great monitors. FYI (I also use thier amps and soundboards. The 1604 vlz is a great board...)

OK, so your trying to record something to make it sound great, true? This, like a lot of things in the audio recording chain, is not an area to skimp on. Please save your money get what you really want here and do it right the first time. The few extra weeks / months spent getting far superior equipment to help you get "that sound" your looking for, recorded right the first time, is worth every penny especially in the mix down phase.

Don't kid yourself. If you want to sound like the pros... use what they do. And a LOT of pros seem to like the mackies too. My 2 cents.

The only JBL studio monitor worth buying, IMO, is a pair of pre-Harmon Control series. I mean Pre Harmon - since Harman Audio bought them out, their studio gear has been utterly worthless.

Genelec and Mackie do seem to be the drug of choice in a lot of mid-level studios. The high-end guys use all manner of esoteric gear that is well out of most of our price ranges.

I know two different organizations with two different Mackie mixers. Both have had mic inputs go dead on them. On one of them, Mackie couldn't figure out what was wrong.

JBL in Japan still makes the 4412 series (I think that is the model, I've lost the link). I haven't heard any of their newer stuff, but Harman owns almost everything:

AKG

AMEK

CROWN International

DBX

Digitech

Infinity

JBL

Lexicon

Mark Levinson

Revel

Soundcraft

Studer

And others.

Just because they own JBL isn't the problem.

Marvel

----------------

On 7/3/2003 7:16:17 AM Marvel wrote:

Just because they own JBL isn't the problem.

Marvel

----------------

Not saying that at all, Marvel. I'm saying that the quality level on JBL studio monitors (particularly the Control series) has gone to ****. They still make killer THX packages (the Synthesis line is outstanding) and some pretty damned good hifi and PA speakers - but their studio monitor lines have gone to **** since the takeover.

What about the LSR series? I haven't heard them, but are well respected.

Regarding Yorkville, a friend of mine in college had a pair of those closefields and we brought them in to the college studio to do measurements. We tested the big Urei mains, Westlake 3-ways, NS-10, and some smaller 2-way Ureis(813?). The Yorkvilles were the only ones to reach 20kHz!! By no means would they be my first coice among those, but we all thought it was quite interesting. They were pretty good, and they translated pretty well, too.

Yeah, I heard the yammy ns10-m's aren't that great sounding. But they are flat in response. Why do you think that most any major studio had a set in the control rooms for mixing ? But alas, they are no longer produced. I remember an article in gig magazine talking about an engineer bringing a set on ns-10m's with him in case the studio didn't own a set. They were the major staple a few years ago, but the need for bass a few octaves lower has spawned a new generation of monitors and powered subwoofer combo's.

----------------

On 7/3/2003 11:02:05 PM michael hurd wrote:

Yeah, I heard the yammy ns10-m's aren't that great sounding. But they are flat in response. Why do you think that most any major studio had a set in the control rooms for mixing ? But alas, they are no longer produced. I remember an article in gig magazine talking about an engineer bringing a set on ns-10m's with him in case the studio didn't own a set. They were the major staple a few years ago, but the need for bass a few octaves lower has spawned a new generation of monitors and powered subwoofer combo's.

----------------

No, they are not flat in response. Quite the contrary. Yamaha NS-10m's are carried from studio to studio because the engineers know from experience that "if you make it sound good on a pair of NS-10's, it'll sound good on anything"

The NS-10m's are a nasty sounding speaker, far from flat. You mix on a pair of flat-response monitors, then check on NS-10's to make sure you've got a winner. No one mixes from beginning to end on NS-10's.