New amp...any suggestion?

I'm considering upgrading my amplifier. I listen mainly to pop-rock-electro but also classical, baroque and opera. I love my sound to be pure, precise, detailed but without harshness. My speakers are modified Scalas (k33E, K55V, K77M, EV SM120 mid horns, AA x-overs).

I currently use one single Musical Fidelity typhoon power amp, connected to a Rotel 980BX pre. I listen to CD's, don't have a LP player.

I have a few solutions to consider (I'm buying second-hand):

1) buy another Typhoon power amp and run them in monoblocs (150 Musical Fidelity watts/channel), keeping the current preamp

2)Audio Analogue Puccini Special Edition integrated amp

3) ADCOM GFA2 power amp with current preamp

4) MICROMEGA TEMPO integrated amp

5) ruin myself and buy that splendid Conrad Johnson i see evrytime i go in my favourite shop (but after spending all my money i'd be forced to use it with my current preamp, as the CJ preamp is more expensive than the amp!!!)

6) Musical Fidelity A100 integrated class A amp.

Any suggestion welcome... I also saw a few Phase Linear and Carver amps for sale...

thanks folks!

Although I know little about the amplifiers you have mentioned in this post, may I make a suggestion? Change the subject/question to

"New PREAMP - any suggestions??"

If you are looking for a change in sonics in your system, seriously look at the preamp first. As Dean mentioned in another thread, the preamp will likely be more responsible for the change in system sonics than the amp will, so start with your preamp.

Helpful hint......think tubes (this advice coming from an admitted SS amp loon).

Carry on, folks!

Shock-Late, as much as I'm a big fan of Bob Carver and his Phase Linear and (old) Carver Corp. components (I've owned quite a few with never any problems), I'd have to admit that they're not quite as high-end sonically as some of the other excellent components you suggest (excluding Sunfire; you may want to look into their amplifiers).

If you love the sound of your Musical Fidelity Typhoon, why not purchase a second unit for monoblock operation like you mentioned? My younger brother loves the sound of his vintage McIntosh MC2100 powering his Acoustic Energy Aegis Two towers that he's also considering buying another MC2100 to run as monoblocks. Why compromise yourself financially by purchasing the conrad-johnson if you feel you also need to replace your preamp, or go integrated if you like your current Rotel? And if you're going to be buying used, you have plenty of purchasing options with McIntosh amplifiers...they're outstanding products with plenty of umph to drive your La Scalas, and you can either consider their SS or vacuum tubed amps! It's your call.

Just my thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

bonjour shock! first the only reason I can see to go mono-block is if you are not happy withyour amp´s current ability to drive the speakers...do you feel them weak? the only other reason for mono-blocks might be channel separation improvments but that would be minor change versus a new higher-end pre, as suggested ealier, or a switch to tubes...lots of MF bashers out there but they product is pretty good at the price point I doubt those amps mentioned would be much more than a lateral move. what aspect of your systems sound are you trying to improve? dynamics, detail, "lushness"? let us know more so we can help. warm regards, tony

I'm thinking about going back to seperates, the A/V receiver just isn;t cutting it (even my wife complains about it). Previously I had a McIntosh 2200 and it sounded good, but I really don;t want another 100 pound amp.

Some I am thinking about are the McIntosh 2100/2105, the PS Audio 200c or if I am feeling especially motivated I was thinking about DIY a Williamson ultralinear PP using 6550/KT88 for 60 watts, but I fear I may loose my bass slam and mid-bass punch.

At one time I had a 120 w/ch Phase Linear hooked up to the Khorns, soundstaging was weak and it was a little bright and I thought the mids totally sucked. Personally, I wouldn;t do a Phase Linear/Carver again, even if they are cheap.

I do admit that I have a Phase Linear P3800 preamp (post-Carver) that I modified. It may be replaced also.

Don't even think about buying another amp and bridging. Bridging does not really make a stereo amp a "mono-block". I heard several systems taken from straight stereo to bridged -- and it sounds freaking terrible. It would be the kiss of death for those LaScalas.

Looks like you got 45 wpc right now, and if that's enough for you, than I definitely say upgrade the preamp first. You can get a nice tubed unit for between $400 and $800 -- and it would sound very nice. If you're commited to solid state -- I like choice number 6.

Thanks for all suggestions! 2.gif

Dean, those Musical Fidelity Typhoon power amps were actually made to be sold as mono amps. Most people used them "mono" and they are supposed to sound better that way. They're quite very special little amps (if you do a search on this product on the web, you will only find bridged mono configurations). They're also fairly cheap little amps (around 250$ here, used).

Actually this is the best amp I ever heard (but i din't hear monsters such as MacIntosh...) for rock and pop music, as they're incredibly fast, nervous, taut, dynamic... They're very lively and detailed with classical music too.

I just wish they were less harsh with music such as Mozart's Requiem for example.

But then I tried a few amps that i liked a lot with requiems and classical, but simply sucked with anything a little bit too fast or heavy. So I always come back to my Typhoon...

However i'd really like to know how it sounds in bridged mode, but it's difficult to try because you have to make a phase inversor or something like that... there's no 'mono' switch on the amp, you're supposed to use the Typhoon Preamp, there's a "bridged mono outputs" mode on it... since I don't have this preamp I will have to make my own device.

I really do like this preamp, that said. I think for the price I can't find anything better: it sounds very close to the CD connected directly to the power amp, with just more bass and authority. I might try a passive preamp such as Creek OBH12. But I don't know about tube preamps...

anyways... i'm not in a hurry...

thanks for the advices, guys! 1.gif

Hello Shock-Late,

aren't you in Belgium? Have you ever considered one of those vintage tube amps often discused on this forum? As I need to make some space in my flat I am considering selling some of my gear. So if you are interested drop me a line (and you could listen first - and don't have to buy blindly).

Best,

Wolfram

BTW: I am not necessarily thinking of the MC-225 LOL

I am in Belgium, yes... are you in Belgium too???

I'm not sure tube amps are for me. I only tried one of them (cheapo AMC classA EL34) and I was VERY disappointed with the sound: I kept it three days!

Overal the sound was "nice" with classical music or anything sweet and acoustic... however it was muddy, "slow" (except in the treble) and "distorted" (not clipping distortion) with heavier stuff such as rock, pop or electro music.

So If I could try, maybe I would like a tube amp. But I'm really not sure. Would be nice to try anyways ;)

So if you're in Belgium, feel free to send me a private message, we'll get in touch.

thanks!

9.gif

How's the Kenwood CD player (I don't know about them)? I found a big improvement updating my 1980's SOny es CD player. I've also heard a big improvement with a nice DAC like:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?dgtlconv&1062743768

OR

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?dgtlconv&1061879386

From Stereophile:

As a standalone D/A processor, the P-3A (with Monolithic Sound's P3 power supply) is competitive with some of the best processors in its price range. Combined with the P-1A, it reaches a level of digital replay that must have manufacturers of multi-kilobuck digital processors hoping that not too many customers find out about it. Upsampling to 96kHz and Resolution Enhancement to 24 bits work as claimed, maximizing the sonic potential of most CDs.

This player is the top-of-the line Kenwood player. It has been widely acclaimed in the european hi-fi press (Nouvelle Revue du Son, etc...) It uses four Burr Brown chips per channel. Sounds very natural, detailed, transparent and very dynamic. Was said to be able to compare with players 4 or 5 times it's price.

I think this is the last thing I would upgrade in my system! I frankly recommend it.