So how good are your ears (and your system?)

This is a little test for ya.

in this zipfile http://www.soundwise.org/klipschubb/griffinator/Test%20waves.zip

are two wave files, same duration, same sound.

But are they the same?

If not, what's the difference between the two?

Post your answers here...

PS: Don't just say you hear a difference if you don't. For all anyone knows, they're exactly the same...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could easily hear a difference. the first one is not as loud and does not go up at the same rate as the other... like...

1231 and 1234... hard to describe really

the second one seems higher pitched in sound, but lower towards the end, likely to do with the volume difference which is very apparent.

well I listened on my com´puter not on my stereo but the first tone sounded rougher, more squarewavey and the second sounded smoother more sinewavey...the second was mellower...would the second have less odd order overtones?..or more even order overtones? what is the difference? tony

Craig - I didn't say nothing was done, I said nothing was added to or subtracted from.

That's cool, though. I'll spill the beans.

The second file is the original recorded sample.

The first file was altered. How?

I time-shifted the left channel by 5 ms. Demonstration of what phase-cancellation does to your audio (which is why, Justin, everything sounded louder in the second example, when in fact the two were of identical amplitude.

In a little bit, I'll post the frequency analysis of each waveform so you can see what exactly a slight delay (that can easily be caused by uneven speaker wire lengths, actually) can do to your signal. There is a demonstrable difference even as slight as a 1ms delay (I will show analysis to prove this) - but once you get down to .5ms, I am quite certain that the difference is so subtle as to be inaudible (got a snapshot of that one too)

thanks griffinator, fun test. good to know that 5ms can be heard...the second sounded much better than the first. I do wonder how much mire you need to cause a 5ms delay or how far apart drivers need to be to cause it...pretty darn far methinks! tony

----------------

On 7/5/2003 4:02:04 PM paulparrot wrote:

Griffinator,

I didn't listen to your test, sorry, just didn't want to bother with a zip file. However, there is no way in the world that a comparable effect would occur with unequal speaker wire lengths.

----------------

Actually, Paul, it depends on the quality of the wire. Think for a moment about a really large room with in-wall wiring to the back speakers. Suppose the amp is located on one side wall, and as a result the wire run to the opposite side rear speaker is an additional 20 feet. 5 milliseconds is not an unreasonable amount of delay in that situation.

As I'll prove in my next post, even 1 millisecond between left and right channels can cause an appreciable difference in the sound.