The Basic Circuit -- is this really true?

Deang

Is the following statement true?

"The electrical source has two terminals, designated positive (+) and negative (-). As long as there is an unbroken connection from source to load and back again as shown here, electrons will be pushed from the negative terminal of the source, through the load, and then back to the positive terminal of the source.

I decided to pretend I don't know anything, and started from the beginning -- I then discovered I don't know anything.

BTW -- does it matter which way plastic caps are pointed?

Electrons do a lot of running in place, but they don't really go anywhere. Electrons don't "flow". Electrons are in the conductor, and when excited, they vibrate and touch each -- and this advances the electical field.

AND, while trying to catch one, you inevitably change it's state and position!

Yes, Dean, the statement is correct. However, to make the equations easier, the common convention is to draw current flow from positive to negative (Like that?). The negative terminal is so negative because of the abundance of electrons trying to jump off and run to the positive terminal.

----------------

On 7/5/2003 6:08:35 PM DeanG wrote:

Is the following statement true?

"The electrical source has two terminals, designated positive (+) and negative (-). As long as there is an unbroken connection from source to load and back again as shown here, electrons will be
pushed
from
the negative terminal of the source
, through the load, and
then back
to
the positive terminal of the source

I decided to pretend I don't know anything, and started from the beginning -- I then discovered I don't know anything.

BTW -- does it matter which way plastic caps are pointed?

----------------

Hi Dean,

What is described above is the operating theory for direct current (DC). All semiconductors and tubes operate on this theory. Current flow is from negative to positive, or from the MOST negative to the less negative.

In semiconductors, there are these things called "holes". Holes are not protons, neutrons, or electrons, they are merely described as having a depletion of electrons. In a transistor, a negative depletion region occurs at the PN junction. Electron flow is towards the holes.

Capacitors for DC use are usually electrolytic, or non-polarized electrolytic. Tantalum are also polarized. The capacitors you describe are coupling capacitors, having an outer foil. These are not polarized, and are usually used to block DC, while letting only AC pass. The outer foil doesn't indicate a polarized capacitor, but the outer foil should be connected to 0V potential if used in an RF application. For audio use, you can connect them in the circuit any way you want.

Bill

wjkubacki@aol.com

Some dead guy got it wrong.

"So which way should a circuit be traced?"

The 'arrows' assume positive to negative flow.

Unless you are doing electroplating or something similar it really doesn't matter.

Its the guy that blathers on about 'convententional flow' vs 'electron flow' that always hooks the elecrodes up backwards anyway.