bad Telefunkens

T2K

I have 2 Telefunken ECF82/6U8 tubes that my tester shows have shorts. As I enjoy living on the edge, I decided to try them anyway in my unrestored Scott 222C. I ran them for 1 hour 45 minutes and the amp has never sounded better.

My question: Should these tubes have some type of meltdown while using the amp, what damage can I expect to occur to my amp. Collateral damage, so to speak. Any wothwhile comments appreciated.

Keith

I suspect that your tube tester is in error. That does not mean that your Tube tester is a badun but simply that it has a problem dealing with that particular tube type for whatever reason. If it works well then it works fine and don't screw around with something that works !

I am a computer technician and when I encounter a problem that stumps me I use a highly regarded diagnostics program that usually is very helpful but I have learned to disregard anything that it says about memory issues because it almost never gets it right !

Test equipment is fine but in the end it is the knoweldge of the tech that counts.

Thanks for all the comments! I will feel better now as I continue to use the Teleflunky's (left out one letter fini). I just retested the tubes and re-read the manual. They tested 77/77 and 74/74. There were no shorts but the needle deflected momentarily into the 'Grid-Emission/Reject' area of the scale on one tube before slowly falling back to the 'Good' range.

Maybe the tester needs to be calibrated. According to the manual I'll need 100 megohm and 1 megohm resistor's to calibrate. Any suggestions on where to buy? Mucho thanks...

Keith

To make a short calibrator for my tube testers, I found that Radio Shack has some 5-packs of 10 Meg resistors. I bought 2 packs and soldered the resistors together in series to make a 100 Meg calibrator. Seems like it only cost a couple of bucks. Try to keep the resultant kluge resistor fairly clean. Oil from your fingers can bring down the resistance by a few Meg Ohms.

Bob