which alk crossover for my super cornwall clones

Hi All,

I have almost completed my version of a pair cornwall clones, I copied the bass cabinet of my single cornwall ser#232 with the vertical duct. The clones use an eminence 15" bass drivers (103 spl) and EV midranges (1823M) with sm-120 horns, along with st350a tweeters. My question is which alk crossover should I use? The one for the klipschorn or the cornwall, the midrange can go down to about 400Hz but only up to about 3500hz, where the tweeter takes over. (I have not oiled the tops yet)

Shane

Hi Molecularman

Welcome to the forum. I'd love to see your pics and it looks like one you tried to post didn't come through on the bbs. Sometimes works better just to attach a file, but over the last few days, the server or the software or something hasn't been running up to par.

Wish I could be of some help on your question. I'm assuming that is your question after looking over the ALK stuff on alkeng.com.

There is a huge base of knowledge among the forum members, and you should certainly be able to get some good help here.

Best regards,

Dee

Hi dude!

I appreciate the fact you're using EV SM120 midrange horns. I'm using them in my Scalas and they make me completely happy!!!

I would however use another midrange driver. You really need to get a driver going up to 6KHz to do these horns justice. With a 3,5K cut-off you will hear the transition between mid and highs. You really don't want that!

Just use K55V drivers from klipsch. They're nice, and then you'll be able to use standard ALK x-overs.

Just my thoughts... 2.gif

A friend of mine uses a pair of EV-1823M's with different horns, with a pair of Fostex 15's.

T-35's or Sellenium slot tweeters.

He uses Wharfdale crossovers.

Anyone have a EV T-25A Driver real cheap?

I would just play around with the values, until you come up with what sounds best to you.

I geuss.

I understand that the bass cabinet is the same dimensions as a cornwall but I was wondering why you called these speakers cornwall clones.

All the drivers are different and the box configuration is way different since it's a two piece.

It seems like you've got some great DIY speakers, just not really Cornwalls.

Peace, Josh

I have a pair of cornwalls and a pair of klipshorns but needed something for my basement setup. These speakers when placed side by side to a cornwall are the exact same measurements, therefore clone. (But they are much faster) I wanted some advice in inputing a transformer into my crossover design, not presently being satisfied with using L-pads. Yes, you are correct these are not really cornwalls.

9.gif

Too much nit-picking...who cares if they're Cornwall clones or not. The fact of the matter is you're building your own horn speakers, and I congratulate you for it! I wish I was technically inclined so I could help you find the proper crossover for your drivers...alas, I am not. I do hope you find what you're looking for, and that these "clones" come out sounding spectacular!

Post more pics of their progress! Good job, man.

PS - Dig that Discwasher brush...gotta love the vinyl.

Very observant and Thanks, Yes Vinyl has become a passion recently, but mostly I just love to build stuff, amps(tube), speakers, its all good, I will post some of my amp projects soon.

So far I have built five amplifiers four preamplifiers and several pairs of speakers.

Shane3.gif

Damn, wish I had known you several years ago when I was in the market for a vacuum tube preamp with phono stage...because of funds (or lack of), I settled for a Chinese built AMC CVT1030s tube preamp, consisting of a pair of JAN Philips 12AU7 and 12AX7WA NOS tubes. It had ample inputs and outputs, a decent phono stage for my Sumiko Blue Point MC, and sounded better than my Carver C-4000 preamp, but it had poor quality control issues I just couldn't live with, so I sold it. Met a retired audio engineer online who dabbled in building custom tube preamps, but he gave it up due to health problems.

Would love to see you post some pics of your preamp creations...maybe someday I'll be out of debt and in the market again for a tube preamp...maybe!

----------------

On 7/9/2003 9:14:56 PM molecularman wrote:

Here is a pict, I guess I will try incorporating the universal transformer into my current crossover design.

Shane

----------------

I would love to hear those. They look like they'd shake the house alright! What is the volume of the bass cab?

Wish I could be of help with the crossover, call me clueless.

Is that a disk washer lp cleaner on the cab in the picture? Haven't seen one of those in years. Been out of the LP business a long long time.

regards,

Dee

This is the amp that is on my moniker, a loftin white single ended direct coupled 2a3, this is the sweatest. Plenty of power for high effiency speakers. Sovteks and nos 6sl7 tubes make the best music, but for now I am using all my sovteks in a brook 12a stereo copy with sansui 1000a output transformers.

post-12778-13819248364634_thumb.jpg