K-401 Mid horns

In 12/1999, I purchased a pair of Klipschorn mid horns (HORN-K-401) without drivers for $316 ($158 each).

Yesterday, a member of the forum contacted Klipsch and was given a price of $49 each.

Now, other than the price, what has changed? The horns I have are K-401s. Is this new version a cost reduced, Chinese sourced, 50% less material, no aluminum insert, K-401-1?

John,

Maybe they just made more than they needed. 9.gif

Do you still have the pair? I don't suppose you also have a digital camera so you could take a couple of pics of them for me? A side view, straight on and a top view, so I could get a 3D model done to put in these exploded drawings I've been making. Would be a help. The other pics you had posted of them were straight on enought to use (I already tried).

Thanks,

Marvel

You got hosed! I called last week and they were $49 and change apiece from Klipsch parts. I don't know why the hell Tony needs more he just got three of them for $110 shipped from a website that was posted in the Odds and Mods section. I was going to mention the price to him but didn't since he was greedy and did not let any other board members pick up on the deal from the posted website when he bought the last three they had. It is possible that Klipsch found a cheaper supplier of them or the cost was reduced since you purchased them last. Good luck getting someone to pay $200 a pair for used ones.

This member must have been quoted the wrong price.

The last time I bought a pair of 401 horns they were $200.00 each. I don't think Klipsch has changed them.

I've found that most of the times that I've talked to the parts department that they don't know the Heritage speakers very well. I have to explain to them what I need and then sometimes I have to talk to Trey and have him tell them what I want.

Try asking them for a tail board gasket for the Klipschorn.

They may be also be reading the price that Klipsch is paying for them and giving you that price instead of their retail price.

----------------

On 7/9/2003 7:50:36 PM Frzninvt wrote:

You got hosed!

>> Perhaps, but I purchased them from Klipsch and I have the invoice.

Good luck getting someone to pay $200 a pair for used ones.
>> Something tells me your not going to buy them. But, before you *blow* your chance I suggest that you call Klipsch and tell me (us) what they tell you (I'll do the same first thing in the AM)-

Product number 130017.

Part Description is HORN-K-401,

Retail UNIT PRICE is $158.

invoice date 01/11/00

----------------

----------------

On 7/9/2003 7:46:45 PM Marvel wrote:

John,

Maybe they just made more than they needed.
9.gif

Do you still have the pair? I don't suppose you also have a digital camera so you could take a couple of pics of them for me? A side view, straight on and a top view, so I could get a 3D model done to put in these exploded drawings I've been making. Would be a help. The other pics you had posted of them were straight on enought to use (I already tried).

Thanks,

Marvel
----------------

Marvel-

Sure I can take a few pictures. I do it this weekend and post them.

John

Tony- Don't get steamed, I don't understand where that comment came from either.

All-I called Klipsch parts and the fellow I talked to gave me a price for a K-401 of $49.91 + $5 shipping. So either his computer is wrong or the price dropped. If the price did drop I would like to make a comparison of the current flavor to the older unit I have here. I will take a series of pictures of mine and post. Perhaps someone that recently purchased a $50 unit would care to do the same? To get the ball rolling, I will post my pictures this weekend.

Perhaps someone at Klipsch would care to comment on this *unusual* pricing scheme.

Tony,

Please excuse my comments, just a little jealously that you acted quickly while I debated the purchase. The early bird gets the worm! I would have done the very same thing as you stated the link was posted for all to see.

John, it is quite possible that the newer horns have gone through the cheapening department and may not be of the same quality as the ones that you purchased in 1999. I was thinking of swapping out the 3 K-400's in my La Scala's to the K-401's but I don't think that I would gain much doing so. I have never experienced any ringing or ill effects from them. They do have some dynamat applied which I am sure helps. For $50 I might try swapping out the one in my center channel La Scala just so the tone will match that of the Khorns with the 401's.

What's the big deal with a price change? It's been over three years!! I doubt there has been a change in the quality, and I don't think you got hosed, either. The cost of labor and raw materials can be very volatile. I'd rather applaud Klipsch for lowering the price when it can!

Although, I do admit that I'm glad it wasn't me!!3.gif

BTW John,

You were kind enough to email a while back re: that University corner horn. I got it home and it works perfectly, not even a scratchy L-pad!! It was built from a kit in 1956 (so you were spot-on with the date) I plan on posting some pics when it's set up on the new patio.

Thanks again.

(you know, at that price, I may replace the Cobreflex squawker w/ a k-401!!)

It does seem like a very good deal for the K401. I just hope the build quality is the same. If it is, I may buy a couple more for future projects.

I should have bought some K33E's while they were $100.00 each, oh well.

BTW, the AL-3 network is no longer available from Klipsch at any price. I'm told they won't be building any more. So now it's used or nothing.

Tony

----------------

On 7/11/2003 1:58:00 PM bclarke421 wrote:

BTW John,

You were kind enough to email a while back re: that University corner horn. I got it home and it works perfectly, not even a scratchy L-pad!! It was built from a kit in 1956 (so you were spot-on with the date) I plan on posting some pics when it's set up on the new patio.

Thanks again.

(you know, at that price, I may replace the Cobreflex squawker w/ a k-401!!)
----------------

Thank you!

Don't replace the Cobreflex with the 401. The Cobreflex even sounds better then the 401 in the Klipschorn and LaScala. I built some University Classics from plans that John gave me. Very interesting basshorn. I have old post on the subject.

John, I received your plot, thankyou.

John,

The same thought occured to me. If anything, they might be "doing" something with the K401 and not the LaScala. To my knowledge, the K401 is the only item that has had the price lowered. Other prices have been raised. Sometime ago, I priced an AL-4 network and while I don't remember the exact price, I remember it was outragous.

Tony