Harman Kardon vs. Onkyo

bigsexy1

To match up with a pair of KLF 30s for 2 channel stereo music listening only, a HK 3475 receiver passively biamped with a HK PA2000 power amp or an Onkyo TX8511 receiver passively biamped with an Onkyo M282 power amp? I have a Circuit City gift card that would pretty much cover either set up. Or other options from other brands, such as Denon, Marantz, NAD, Rotel, Adcom, etc.?

Opinions wanted please, and thanks in advance.

They're all good manufacturers. Read up on their specs and decide which set would satisfy your needs, and then audition them. I don't know how different each one would sound with your KLF-30's...see if Circuit City will let you return a purchase if you're not satisfied with the overall sound...I'm sure they will. Good luck.

If I were looking for a 2-channel only SS receiver, I personally would not go new. I've listened to many newer SS amps and have yet to find one that outperforms late 70s models that have been discussed on the forum recently. You don't get a remote and you risk (small risk) that parts eventually will not be available if something goes wrong. Just my opinion (I'm old fashioned) and I'd be glad to recommend specific models if you were interested in going that route. You obviously couldn't use your gift card either.

circuit city does have a good selection of fair gear, but thier listening environment sucks, and thier salespeople dont know thier a.. h.... from a hole in the ground, so it is hard to get honest demonstrations there, and in my circuit city they dont carry denon, adcom, rotel, but do have a fair selection of hk, and onkyo, plus you only have polk to hear the electronics on, gary had a good idea, that is if you arent dedicated to using the gift card12.gif

Well, let's face it, CC isn't exactly a high end store. That's pretty obvious and it doesn't exactly take an Einstein to clearly see that. However, with that said, you could do a whole lot worse than HK or Onkyo. Matter of fact, I very seriously doubt that any of the other brands would be dramatically superior to HK or Onk. I do have the gift card, and could get out of this very cheaply. So bottom line it, HK or Onkyo with Klipsch? I tend to be leaning more towards the HK set up, but I think it would be a good move not to automatically dismiss Onk without at least considering them first.

I've used an HK AVR-110 set-up with my Forte II's and previously KG4s for several years. I recently switched to tube audio but was happy with the HK--until I heard tubes.

My HK Rcvr is a 40 wpc unit driven by +/- 25 amps--so a high current power rcvr that easily outperformed my Sony 120 wpc unit both musically and headroom-wise. I compared the HK at a large audio superstore in Omaha and found it superior to anything I listend to there--Onkyo included as well as Sony, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer and a few Denons. This place had Klipsch as well--the Synergy line only--but I listened through SF-2s, SP-1s and a the bookshelf line. The HK line-up of AVRs also gives you easy subwoofer direct hook-up and most of the line has pre-amp outs should you choose to upgrade to better power amp later on. Not to mention having the home theater option, 5.1 ch, DTS, etc.

I would go for the HK in a heartbeat if forced to buy from Circuit City.

Mike

Indeed. With a gift card I'd go Harmon Kardon over Onkyo - and that's coming from an Onkyo owner. HK's are just more efficient than Onkyo's (of course, notice that the Onkyo setup I use dates to the late 80's - when Onkyo was still building high-efficiency separates even when they built them for those gaudy rack systems)

I would go with Onkyo soley because to me they don't seem as much of a corp as HK. HK owns JBL and Infinity, and they seem to be more aimed to mass marketing, and when that is done quality is lost a lot of times. But at the same time Onkyo owns Integra, all of my SS is Onkyo, but I do have an HK DVD player that is great. The worst aspect of Onkyo is the fact that they designed all of the Bose life style system amps, and there crappy "power bass module"...... I would hear them both out........