Positioning La Scalas

AnalOg

It's getting better. Moved them back about 8 inch fom the back wall, 1 foot from the side, towed in so the tweeters are aiming at my cheeks. The one thing I did that cleaned up the lower mid bass region is elevate the fronts with a set of grippers. Can someone explain to me how this has a bearing on the response of bass, does it have something to do with the bottom not being loaded against the floor?

The tonal balance gets better the louder you go, I'm hoping to correct that problem with the ALK's I have on the way.

This is never ending, if I want to do quiet listening I'm going to need another preamp, this is way loud, even on the first step.I'm eyeballing a Cary SLP 88, looking for input anyone. I really would like a BAT VT5i, but at almost double the cost and used to boot, I think I won't set my sights so high.

Just for fun, I hooked up my Musical Fidelity A300 to the La Scalas, WOW, I had forgotten how nice this amp sounds for SS, at lower volumes do to the sensitivity of the speakers its o.k., turn it up pass 9:00 to about 12:00, stand back and hold your nuts, incredible. I'm lucky I did'nt have these La Scala's as a teen, I'd be deafer than I am today.

I think Craig said it, he thought his system was perfect untill he put in the Scalas, it like starting all over again.

Tom

Interesting. My experience is like Craig's. Changed to La Scalas and ended up changing everything, except an old tuner that just sits in the rack anyway.

Dee

p.s glad to hear you've got ALK's on the way. When you get them, set up one first so you can A/B the stock and updated Lascala. You'll be grinnin like a mule eating briars. And with the Cary... 3.gif

"Interesting. My experience is like Craig's. Changed to La Scalas and ended up changing everything,"

Yes thats my point, it seems the synergy went out the window when I put these in. I'm going with the Alk's, hopefully that will give me the tonal balance I'm looking for. Otherwise I'll have to go to plan B.9.gif

Tom

Remember my prediction: http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=36517&sessionID={01034836-0FC7-4248-B205-2071ADDF26DA}

I see "Plan B" in Tom's future (whatever the hell "Plan B" is)

Now Tom, did you buy Dee's Rocket?

Why are you listening to Craig anyways? He's hammered so many nails his hearing plot looks like this /\/\/\/\/\/\/\ :)

Why don't you PM Audible Nector and ask him his impressions regarding my Cornwall tweaks? He has six Cornwalls -- ask him where mine are sitting.

"The tonal balance gets better the louder you go, I'm hoping to correct that problem with the ALK's I have on the way."

This may help out, but I suspect that the preamp will help out too. I found similar issues with my Belles when I was using the CD player with the amp's gain controls as volume (Mac 250), but the addition of the MX-110 preamp really made a difference, especially at conversational listening levels. Very smooth and liquid.......

The modifications Dean refers to will address the other problem - what happens to the speaker at high SPL. Cabinet, horn, and woofer basket resonances all appear at high SPL - and these mods do address those issues. I find the most obvious benefit to be the cabinet resonances - having the modified Cornwalls alongside the 2 stock pairs really exposes this. I also notice this in my Belles. Daflex panels and caulk, anyone??

And, of course, acoustic treatments to the room will play a large role too.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"The tonal balance gets better the louder you go, I'm hoping to correct that problem with the ALK's I have on the way."

This may help out, but I suspect that the preamp will help out too.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Audible Nector,

You hit it on the head. That is Plan B. I've been experimenting with my other amps. Used the MF300 as a pre with the Marks, Yuk, that lasted about 10 minutes, very thin and lifeless. The MF comes to life as an integrated. The 299, now this puts out a very respectible presentation. I really like what I'm hearing, nice tonal balance & transparency, altough could be better.

I noticed with all the amps the music is slightly on the dark side (I ain't talking Star Wars here). I suspect the network is the culprit.

Dean,

Now why would I want the Rocket, when I have the Marks! I suspect that is the answer you were fishing for.16.gif

Tom

RF CRAZY,

You are going through the same experience I did when I left the RB-5 HT rig in the family room alone and made my first 2 channel only sysytem in may years in the living room with the Chorus IIs.

Craig has listened to them several times now and can make comparrisons to the LaScalas.

Our listening areas are probably more different than the sonic signature of the speakers.

If you like your sources it is not a complete tear up. Amps will sound very different!

Digital will sound more digital.

And analog will sound more like real instruments.

I knew you would get another pair of speakers someday!

Good Luck

Rick

Audio Flynn,

I'm confident that if the networks don't get me all the way there, then were looking at a preamp issue for sure. The Foreplay has to much midrange gain, its making itelf very noticeable with the Scalas.

This is really becoming a learning experience.

Tom1.gif

Chevelle is pretty tame compared to some of the stuff I listen too. My hearing's fine, I can still hear my wife when she's screaming at me. :)

Tom, choosing speakers is like buying shoes or boots. If they don't feel "right" when first put on the feet -- forget it. No amount of stretching or walking is going to make them feel good on the feet. You get to a point where you tolerate them, but in the end you end up with a new pair, and the other pair end up at the bottom of the closet.

I think you can get the Scalas very close to what you are looking for -- but the money needs to go into Deflex, new wire, and rope caulk. Maybe even yanking the midrange lenses in favor of something more forgiving. The ALKs alone aren't going to do it.

----------------

On 7/12/2003 11:15:57 AM rf3iicrazy wrote:

Audio Flynn,

I'm confident that if the networks don't get me all the way there, then were looking at a preamp issue for sure. The Foreplay has to much midrange gain, its making itelf very noticeable with the Scalas.

This is really becoming a learning experience.

Tom
1.gif

----------------

Tom,

What kind of configuration did you have to pick up on the Foreplay midrange issue? Is that an A/B between a straigt CD to power amp and CD to Power Amp via Preamp? Or just picking up on the sound?

Might be a place to experiment with ALK's capacity for variable midrange attenuation, or whatever it's called.

Dee

Dee,

The midrange issue on the Foreplay was picked up on when I started plugging the 299 & Mf300 into my system. As I stated the 299 sounds very balanced by comparison. The MF 300 is not a fair comparison because you gotta crank it up to get it cooking with the Scala's.

Dean,

Bad analogy, but if you want me to go with, I guess I need a different pair of socks so the shoes fit better.2.gif

Tom 9.gif

Yes, that is why he wants the ALKs, so he can use that tap to squelch the squawker a little.

He's also fighting a bass issue. The dead giveaway is when he said balance was better at higher volumes. At the lower volumes he's losing energy through the plywood. That energy needs to be diverted back through the driver. When he turns it up, that energy becomes a resonance that sounds "bassy" --

Dean,

Read what the guy is saying and not saying the speakers sound better with a 299 which should not be the case ! The majority of his problem lies in his Amps or preamp most likely the preamp. I bet the Amps could use some scope time also the Orange Drop coupleling caps could be some of the issue, AC balance and proper feedback adjustement which all need to be done with a scope. This is pretty obvious I would think. Although I'm sure the the crossover is a part of the problem its a very small part of it. These are not Cornwalls.

Craig