McIntosh MC240/MX110 vs. Fisher 500C

fini

I currently have a Fisher 500C that I still haven't sent to Mike Zuccarro in San Diego for a redo/update. But about a year ago, I ran into a guy that had an MC240/MX110 combo (like Gary's!) for sale. As I recall, he wanted about what they're worth. I've been pondering the possibility of persuing the Mc set-up, and selling the Fisher as-is, but never having heard a well-tuned 500C, or the Mc combo, for that matter, it's all conjecture. Who out there has heard both, and has an opinion? I doubt I'd be able to get my money back out of the repaired Fisher if I sell (I could be wrong), but getting it playable may be the only reasonable first step, and the only way I'll know whether or not I like it. It is a hobby, isn't it?

fini

Fini,

Allan Songer seems to be the guy that has heard them all! I'll let you know in about 2 weeks how the MC setup compares to the scott 299b (which may be for sale soon). I like to call it a hobby. My wife has other words for it which I can't type on this forum without the Moderator's intervention.6.gif

Greetings:

There really is some equipment I have not listed below. 500C is one

Nothing against the Fisher, Avery had some great units. But I do prefer the MX 110/240 combo.

What can affect sound goes to hearing curve, quality of components, quality of parts used, speakers, quality and life left in tubes, etc., room, furnishings, emi/rfi interference, proper voltage and the like.

Did you like the Fisher when you bought it? What will it cost to refurbish it?

What condition are the MX 110 and 240 in.?

Now that I've put oranges into the apple barrel, I still IMO, like the MX 110/240 combination. If you get it, Klipsch seem to like the 4 ohm output tap.

Good Luck

Win

Dodger,

I haven't really listened to the 500C. I did plug it in and play it when I got it (oops!), and it sounded OK. Later, I hauled it up to mdeneen's place, and he was kind enough to put it on his scope. He found it needed work (possibly new tubes, etc.). I won't know how much it will cost until I send it to Mike and he checks it out. The McIntosh gear LOOKED real clean. I was unable to try it out (actually saw it at the flea market!). Not sure about the tube array within. I may be able to try it out at home, but I don't even know if he still has it, or even wants to sell. I may give him a call.

fini

I have a 500C in my "garage" system drivins a pair of ancient Altec "Monterey" speakers and a Kyocera CD player. I love the 500C--its the BEST receiver ever made in this country. Great tuner, solid phono section (not as nice as a Scott 299 IMO), wonderful amplifier, beautifully made.

But a 240/MX-110 in top shape with the right tubes will make a 500C sound and look SILLY.

Allan-

So do you prefer the 500C to the 800B or 800C? I have been thinking about getting a Fisher receiver and having a hard time figuring out which would be a better choice. I know the 800 has both AM and FM, but other than that, are they about the same?

Fini-

Depending on lotsa stuff, I may be interested in that 500C.

Rob

Greetings:

Well silly is a little harsh. As I said it's all subjective.

The 800B was made at the point of simulcast, so you have 2 tuners and standard FM stereo.

The 800 C has more controls, meets the RIAA curve much closer than the 800B, similar in power.

Between the 500 C and the 800 C depends on how much power you want and the cost.

I still note that I have the MX 110 and the 240 (2 strapped for mono) in use. So we agree Allan.

Win dodger

Dodger-

Thanks for the fast reply and the great explanation on the difference between the 800B and 800C. It sounds like the 800C is the better of the two units. Now I just have to find out the power levels between the 500C and 800C. There have been some nice examples of both on eBay recently, but I'm not ready for that jump yet.

----------------

On 7/11/2003 1:55:32 PM Gregorius wrote:

Rob,

The Fisher 500C and 800C have the exact same power output, the only difference is the addition of an AM tuner on the 800C

Greg

----------------

Hello:

Here's a man who knows his Fisher. You had to be an Avery fan yourself, Greg? It's a shame what Fisher is now compared to when Avery was alive.

In my city, it was Fisher or McIntosh for top end. For some reaon, Marantz or some of the other greats hardly saw the light of day.

I've got one of the bird with a music note in its mouth, "The Fisher" glass/metal advertising stands. Trade for Klipsch memorabilia.

dodger

Greg-

Thanks much for the clarification. I shoulda known you would come through.

Gary-

Actually, I am thinking about this for my dad, but it would get some break-in time here. You know, kinda like Craig is doing for your Mac! Seriously, my grandfather had a Fisher 400, the Dual TT I mentioned on an earlier post, and a pair of custom cabinets with very good Jensen drivers. I don't know what they are yet, as Dad hasn't taken the back off the cabinet, but I think they are 15" bass drivers. Dad said Grandfather went for the best on these, so if anyone has info on Jensen speakers, let me know. Hopefully I can get some more info on them to post intelligent questions.

My grandfather passed away about 3 years agos, so Dad brought the TT and speakers to his place so as to keep them in the family, since other family members tried the Fisher, and when it didn't work, took it to a repair place and, in my opinion, were probably talked out of keeping it. Now some dude has a near-mint Fisher 400 to play with. GRRRR!

So, I have been toying with the idea of getting a 500C or 800C since it will be easier to get tubes for these rather than the ones for the 400 and sending that to my Dad for B-day or Xmas. But like I said, I'd have the chance to audition it here on the K-horns first. You know, gotta make sure it sounds good. I figure the Fisher could end up on my parent's 2-ch Chorus II system and sound damn good.

----------------

On 7/11/2003 2:36:42 PM dodger wrote:

Hello:

Here's a man who knows his Fisher. You had to be an Avery fan yourself, Greg? It's a shame what Fisher is now compared to when Avery was alive.

Win,

I am just a victim of too much research before I bought my 800C 1.gif Yes it is a shame, I think Sanyo owns the name now, more black plastic crap.

I've got one of the bird with a music note in its mouth, "The Fisher" glass/metal advertising stands. Trade for Klipsch memorabilia.

Sounds interesting, but I don't have any Klipsch Memorabillia.

Greg

----------------

Damn, it's a toss-up! Fisher is top notch as far as vintage receivers go, and McIntosh...well, everyone knows about Mac's reputation! If it were me, I'd be totally content with either the 500C or the Mac combo (and I'm a Macaholic too, but I recognize and can appreciate other great components from Fisher, H.H. Scott, EICO, Pilot, Marantz, et al).