Equalizers

mark1101

The only EQ worth buying is a White 4400.

A 'normal' stereo 31 band EQ will have a minimum of 66 noisey opamps in it.

A pair of White 4400s will have 2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2548155024&category=23788

You do not want a White 4500, it has the usual pile of electronics inside.

Keep in mind that an EQ cannot 'fix' room problems. Room resonances are in the time domain, sucking out a frequency may make it measure flat but it will not sound right.

Sticking in a DSP chip and making it auto doesn't work any better.

If you have room problems you have to fix the room.

If you have frequency response problems the White 4400 can fix them.

Well it works for me.....Listening to a shoebox in a 12x12 room with a 250hz peak of about 6dbs, isn't quite my cup of java.......... as for noise ...The Harley thats going down the road outside the house at wide open throttle, with open pipes, makes a lot more noise than a little op amp, so I'm not gonna sweat going from a 90db s/n to a 75db s/n Besides, I'm not entertaining my neighbors anyway

Didn't mean to offend or annoy anyone. Just stating what I have found through personal uses of EQs. Certainly EQ is used in the creation of music but when used in reproduction they are changing the product that the artist intended. I believe in reproducing the music as intended. I had rather here the band as close "live" as possible in what ever enviroment that be. If you want to "color" the sound of your magnificent speakers that's your business.

http://www.anstendig.org/EQ.html

here's a few snipits if you're too lazy to click the link and read all of it:

-----

An equalizer is too often thought to be a sophisticated accessory to a sound system. But for those who want their music to resemble the original performance, an equalizer is an essential component. In all sound-reproduction, the equalization of the original is distorted by the reproduction process, by the acoustics of the listening room, and by the peculiarities of our hearing.

Equalization has two meanings. The actual proportional balance of the frequencies in relation to each other at a given time is called the equalization. Changing the loudness of the frequencies in relation to each other is a process called equalizing or equalization. The purpose of sound-equalization is to restore the balance of frequencies of the sound reproduction to that of the original, live sounds

-----

all you guys are talking about room equalization which this article discusses:

-----

Room equalization is the equalization of the sound system itself. In room equalization, an audio signal, made up of frequencies of equal energy over the whole range of our hearing, is sent through the system, and the balance of those frequencies is readjusted until the sounds coming out of the speaker are also of equal loudness. In other words, room equalization adjusts the frequency balance of the system to the characteristics of the room in order to assure that the frequencies emerge from the speakers with the same balance as that of the recording.

Room equalization, though desirable, is dispensable because, when equalizing the program itself, the ear automatically compensates for the abnormalities of the room along with those of the program. In this paper, the word equalization refers to program equalization when not specifically referring to room equalization.

-----

and then there is program equalization:

-----

Program Equalization is the equalization of the actual program material itself while it is playing. In program equalization, one purposely changes the balance of the frequencies in order to make the program sound natural to one's ears. The equalizers are essentially used as elaborate tone controls.

Program equalization corrects the distortions in the equalization of the sound due the peculiarities of our hearing, the massing of overtones, and any other distortions caused by the recording and reproducing equipment. It should be emphasized that these distortions are not the slightest bit subtle. They are easily heard when correctly demonstrated and are much more disturbing, both consciously and subconsciously, than any of the more well-known distortions that are considered unacceptable by most audiophiles.

In program equalization, a typical correction can involve a reduction of some frequencies by as much as 20 to 25 decibels in the range of approximately 2,000 to 3,500 hertz (Hz). Compared to distortions that are not tolerated in other performance parameters, these figures are enormous. But most "audio purists", even those who claim to hear subtle, difficult-to-discern differences between components, will put up with these gross, major distortions in the equalization because they have not had the opportunity to compare them to correctly equalized sound.

-----

these are just a few snipits to thinkg about...and it shows how both are sorta correct. changing the rooms acoustics have a much more natual effect to the sound because the spatial effects can be heard in both the music and the "silent" noise of the room (like how footsteps and breathing and shuffling in your chair sound)...it's wierd when the music sounds like it's in one room while u can tell ur sitting in another room.

however, equalization is necessary to pull out all our blissful distortions 2.gif

i would highly recommend running around other articles in the website as it is extremely interesting and another way to look at audio.

http://www.anstendig.org

I couldn't pass it up, it went cheap! I have seen them go as high as $950-$1000. It did not have a mic or manual but I have real good resources where I can acquire the original ones that came with it. I actually bought it for my brother in law, I knew he wanted one so I figured I would drop a bid on it and see what happened, I was suprised I won it! Make no mistake it is a full featured RTA with features equivalent to the professional Audio Control units. It received a very favorable review in the 1988 Stereophile magazine from people that really don't like eq's.

Well Tony, now that I know that you are interested I can find you one. Let me know what you want, I come across it all the time. The 3BX-DS I just sold was truly MINT, one of the best ones that I have come across. It went for more than I expected I had a $300 BIN on it, and someone bid the $275 opening bid instead and it went for more than I was asking for it. Had I knew someone on the BB had a genuine interest in the 14/10 I would have never bid on it. I know a guy that has a 5BX-DS, 400XG and a 120X-DS in military storage and wont have access to it until 11/04, but I stay in contact with him and have plans to purchase it from him. If you want the king of all DBX processors the 5BX is it! Super rare.

Equalizers are good only for frequency response alterations at the (one & only one) listening position. And to do it right, you really need at least 1/3 bands, and preferably parametric capabilities so you can vary the center frequency and bandwith.

They do absolutely nothing to correct the other (more important) things like near term reflections, standing waves, reverberation time, echo/flutter, broadband diffusion and absorption.

If you improve the acoustics of the whole room, you will improve the sound far beyond what any equalizer can do. I stopped using one 20 years ago.