Equalizers

mark1101

Guys,

Is anyone out there using equalizers anymore with your Klipsch? Ever since I got into Klipsch, (and all my friends too), I used an equalizer.

Now I have this old soundcraftsman with dirty contacts, older than the hills. It still can improve the sound somewhat.

What are some of your comments on using equaizers with Las and corns?

If recommended, what are some good ones in the $200 - $400 range?

Thanks

I use an Audio Control C-101 EQ with my corns but only with hard rock. It just colors the sound of the instruments with all other music. I may just take it out alltogether and use it downstairs with my SS which it really helps. They are pretty good units (I bought mine new in 1980). You can get them for a song on ebay (original retail - $800).

I don't think my equalizer colors the sound! Then again I don't have a run of the mill equalizer either. It can generate its own pink noise, automatically RTA a room in 15 seconds in various locations which can be stored in the 10 memory banks and even averaged if so desired, it has constant "Q" topology, has a High Frequency Rolloff feature, no sliders all adjustments are made with toggles. It monitors the frequency response, input voltage level or SPL in real time. It is a 1/3 Octave Eq in the critical bass region and a 2/3 Octave in mid-high region for a total of 14 bands per channel. The problem is most equalizers are not used correctly they need to be used in moderation! The retail on the DBX 14/10 was $1300 it is quite an impressive unit. The great thing is with my DBX 400XG I can pick and choose which processor/equalizer I want added or subtracted from the signal chain. I get "0" noise, none, nada which is quite a feat with such efficient speakers.

----------------

On 7/15/2003 1:41:44 PM Frzninvt wrote:

I don't think my equalizer colors the sound! Then again I don't have a run of the mill equalizer either. It can generate its own pink noise, automatically RTA a room in 15 seconds in various locations which can be stored in the 10 memory banks and even averaged if so desired, it has constant "Q" topology, has a High Frequency Rolloff feature, no sliders all adjustments are made with toggles. It monitors the frequency response, input voltage level or SPL in real time. It is a 1/3 Octave Eq in the critical bass region and a 2/3 Octave in mid-high region for a total of 14 bands per channel. The problem is most equalizers are not used correctly they need to be used in moderation! The retail on the DBX 14/10 was $1300 it is quite an impressive unit. The great thing is with my DBX 400XG I can pick and choose which processor/equalizer I want added or subtracted from the signal chain. I get "0" noise, none, nada which is quite a feat with such efficient speakers.

----------------

Mine is a decent unit (not as nice as yours obviously) but when I switched to a tube amp I noticed, especially with jazz recordings that it just sounds better without it although I still have lots of fiddling to do. With SS it makes a huge improvement no matter what I play. You're right though. The key is not to overdo. Too many people don't know how to EQ properly. When I had my system in a very large room years ago, the pink noise generator was a great help in determining proper settings. I haven't used it in ages though. I may give it another chance if I move it to the basement.

I too,like Garymd and Frzninvt, use an Equalizer with my Klipsch speakers.I used it with my Cornwalls and continue to use with my Klipschorns.

I own a Yamaha EQ1100u 10 band spectrum EQ with with 7 factory presets and 1 owner preset.It has the auto room eq with pink noise generator.

In a perfect world I would have a "stereo specific" room not unlike Artos' but unfornately I don't so my system resides in the 14 x 18 living room amongst my oversize couch and loveseat,thick wall-to wall carpeting, not far from my fireplace and my daughters coloring desk (the "important" stuff2.gif )

I tried to leave it out of my system a while back when Mobile suggested it was coloring the sound and never used it with my tube amps (Scott LK-48 & Manley Stingray) but I really ended up missing it and promply put it back into service.

I own a lot of early to mids 80s cds and we all know how truly horrible they sound compared to todays offerings so the EQ is truly a blessing for me. Don't get me wrong,I'm not doing the typical "smiley face" with my EQ and as a matter of fact everything is set to flat with the exception of 60/120hz as these are slightly bumped up most of the time.

As a matter of fact with my Wife and Daughter out for the night I put on some some Disturbed-Down with the sickness and proceeded to put about 70 watts through the K-horns and actually had to turn the bass down as things were shaking off the wall- the last thing I need is another broken picture frame.11.gif

Jeff

Guys,

Thanks for the info. I expected to hear several folks using some nice EQs out there. Personally, I like having one. Over the years it has been an asset, and is just plain fun to play with.

I also agree about not over driving. The whole key to EQing.

The DBX 14/10 sounds like something I'd be interestd in. Awesome unit!!

And by the way sirJaylord, nice representation of yourself!

Thanks guys

I would also agree with a few on here in that moderation + a really good pro unit..(Like Ashley, or Dolby for instance) and a unit that has a full 31 bands...is necessary, and also worth it.

Lets face it (and get over it, your purists on the board too!) most all of our rooms are not "perfect." We put these wonderful speakers in our houses and in the end... the bottom line is, do YOU like how it sounds? I have heard people with K horns in a terrible locations with crappie amps, and they sound horrible.. And in normal big rectangle rooms, flat as a straight line tone balance wise, tube amps and all..And they sound wonderful! The key, is most of us live and have them in, our rooms designed in the middle sound treatment wise somewhere.

Yes, some CD's need some help, especially re mastered or early ones in the 80's and 90's, others do not. Like a good wine ... Take your time, what YOU like is the bottom line! And have fun with it too. Do not be afraid to try different things and learn from others mistakes, as well as enhancements too, off of this Bulletin Board as well. But please share with us, your finds to your BB friends, and let us enjoy and share your system finds too.

The DBX 14/10 is very nice but also very rare. They do pass through eBay on occasion but usually draw big bucks anywhere between $450 - $950 on average. It is better to try and find them at pawn shops near military bases open or closed or find one on an out of the way used audio website. I got super lucky and found mine advertised on Audioreview classifieds for $175 in mint condition complete with both original cartons and packing, mic, manual and rack mount ears. I found my brother in law Gilbert one for $450 in similar condition. Pro units do not offer auto-RTA functions and internal pink noise generators and 30 bands per channel are not really necessary unless your having big problems with acoustics. With the DBX flattening a room's response is simple, place the mic, adjust the pink noise level slider, and press Auto-Eq in 15 seconds it will adjust itself for a flat response based on mic placement. This step can be repeated 9 more times from 9 different positions and stored in memory, you can then have the unit take an average from all the memories and create a new curve. The real time display (350 LED's, 25 per band) can be adjusted for a fast (real time)or slowed response. The unit will monitor line voltage on a numerical scale (-47 to +15) with "0" being 1 volt, but once the calibrated dbx mic is plugged in it switches over to SPL measurement in real time on a numeric scale from 54-119db. The mic can be plugged in the front or rear of the unit. These are but a few of the features that it has to offer. The 14/10 is also far superior to the previous verions like the 10/20 and 20/20 and offers 4 additional bands. If you would like a photo or the review on the unit just let me know.

Well speak of the devil, look what just came up for auction on eBay. It does not have the mic or the user manual. However, if any board member purchases it I can provide you contacts to purchase an original mic and I can get you an original quality manual right to the year of manufacture of the unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3036296574&category=3271

I don't use an equalizer, but am often glad that my Sunfire tube preamp does have contour controls to boost the bass or treble when there is a recording that needs some compensation, or to listen at lower volumes.

The idea of having an amplifier without any control in that area wasn't attractive to me.

Dee

One more thought...

Watching the tech guys set up a nice sound system in my church was interesting. They used (wish I knew what it was, but my state is ignorant bliss :-) some instrument to "shoot" the room and then make adjustments to compensate for the room acoustics. Aside from just having fun, I would think that would be the most helpful element in having an EQ at home.

Regards,

Dee

----------------

On 7/17/2003 10:33:25 PM DaddyDee wrote:

One more thought...

Watching the tech guys set up a nice sound system in my church was interesting. They used (wish I knew what it was, but my state is ignorant bliss :-) some instrument to "shoot" the room and then make adjustments to compensate for the room acoustics. Aside from just having fun, I would think that would be the most helpful element in having an EQ at home.

Regards,

Dee

----------------

Was it a mic they were using? If so it was a pink noise generator most likely. Lots of lights at the source too?

In MHO EQs are nothing but toys. Klipsch speakers produce music as it is intended. If K-Horns sound terrible in a room,an inferior speaker would sound worse. EQs can run a person bonkers. A setting that sounds great with one piece sounds terrible with another. If one doesn't like what comes out of Klipsch speakers then he/she doen't like what goes in. There are numerous things to do with the room without coloring the sound of the music electronically. By-pass your EQ and listen for a week or so and discover just how great your system REALLY sounds!

Eq's are certainly NOT toys, they are useful tools and when in the right hands can be very useful tools at that. Do you honestly think that when music is recorded in a studio it goes right to the recording media without any type of manipulation? Get serious! If you feel you don't need one that is fine, you are correct though my system does sound good without it operating, and all rooms are not created equal. However, their are alot of recordings out there that do need some help and when used wisely the EQ certainly helps. In addition the Eq I have is not just an Eq it is much more than that. Purists annoy me sometimes. 9.gif

FRZNINVT,

I notice you have a lot of DBX equipment and are likely pretty familiar with it. My uncle wants to give me dbx 3bx dynamic range expander. I don't want to take it if I won't use it, as I'm sure he can find a home for it. He used it largely for his record collection, to uncompress these. I haven't heard it for years, but it is still in mint. I don't listen to LPs, but was wondering if such a component may help breath some natural life into some of the earlier cds that I have? Do you know much about these? Does it make sense today? I have both heresy's and RF7, tubes and solid state. He used it with tubes and Patrician's

I still use mine...to "fix' a bad room property...I have a acoustic peak or resonance at about 250hz...so I drop about 6dbs at that freq, and make up a little bit at the 60 hz point for the "thump" on the bottom. The EQ is a ADC soundshaper SS315x...e-bay special..$67..............gc

post-12600-13819248417528_thumb.jpg

i feel that with a few exceptions out there (highend dbx, rane, ashley, etc.) equalizers tend to make things worse than better.... most consumer models tend to add alot of noise.... that really is noticable with very revealing speakers....

addtionally.... unless your eq is self setting, it is easier to create bad sound than good sound....

most professionals use a real-time analyzer when installing professional/commercial sound systems.... a low-end RTA retails for about $2000 and they go up from there.....

i am not a "purist" by any means, and through my work i have access to many professional lines of equipment.... one of the perks is the ability to take equipment home overnight or for the weekend to audition it in my own system....

i have auditioned many different brands of eq's and even the most expensive (rane) add noise to my system....