Testing the waters

Deang

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean,

There is nothing wrong with changing amps, gear etc. However, the best way to do this is to buy the gear first (whether new or used) and compare it to what you have to make sure you like it better.

Yes I know unloading the current gear gives you some money to buy the new gear, but this is a dangerous practice. Be patient and wait till you have the money to buy the new gear and then you can compare at your leisure.2.gif

Dean:

I'm with Craig and Sunny on this one. I wouldn;t do it.

I also like the EL34 tube as well as the EL84 for it's sonic qualities. IMO, the Quicksilver is a better amp than even the Cary, never mind the AE. Parts quality is superior with the QS amps and so is the sound.

BUT, if you really want a killer triode EL34 amp, I'd hunt down a used Art Audio David Gill Signature. You can find a used Gill for about what you'd pay for a new AE 25 DJH.

http://www.artaudio.com/gillsig.html

I used to sell th AA products when I had my shop. They are phenomenally well built with excellent power supplies and output transformers. Of course, they sound great!

Good luck!

Mike

I did consider the reviews of P/P designs with ultra-sensitive speakers like big old horns before going with, and loving, the Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour monoblock amplifiers with their flea-powered triode tubes (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1202/bottleheadparamour.htm). I lived with classic, but scratchy Dynaco ST70s, strapped as monoblocks with my Cornwall Is for over a decade, yet I was afraid of the vintage route. I didnt know or trust anyone to refurbish an unknown piece of equipment. Wish I knew about NOSvalves then.

Even with the less sensitive Cornwalls, and a few other high-sensitivity loudspeakers, the Paramours have the power to really push the volume and the bass, but my very loud rock music listening was an infrequent event compared to more serious, lights-out, feet-up, mellow sessions. There, the 2A3 Paramours excelled at organic wholeness, details, delicacy, mid-range tone, imaging, rapid attack, sweet tonal definition as well as the my friends mighty, superb, but really expensive Nelson Pass X250 amplifier.

ten channels, tri-amped = 30 amps (sounds about right)!3.gif