30th Anniversary Edition Vinyl-Dark Side of The Moon

rowooo

Just picked this album up yesterday. It comes with three full size posters, included a new (and very cool) Anniversary poster, and three stickers, always cool. All that plus the heavyweight virgin vinyl record. The record itself was almost too beautiful to even play. 9.gif This recording kills the cd version I have in all area's. Much tighter and extended bass, more seperation of the instruments, especially noticeable at loud volumes, more decay of the notes, and obviously a tad more air with it being vinyl compared to the cd. Overall I'm just thrilled with it, and it will probably become my centerpiece of my vinyl collection. Clare Torry's vocals on the "The Great Gig in the Sky" are incredible, spine tingling, with much more depth than the cd. Pick it up and give it a spin, you won't be disappointed.

I just listened to this again yesterday. I agree! It's a must have for vinyl lovers.

For kicks I borrowed a friends MOFI vinyl to compare to the 30th anniv. edition and I found them both pretty equal. There are some slight differences but at the cost of finding a perfect copy of the MOFI you can't go wrong with the new one. Or, if you have a worn MOFI copy definately get the new version. You will love it.

Cool. Where do I get my copy of this? I have probably a dozen or more copies/versions of DSOTM. Two originals, several imports on both vinyl & CD, the original CD reissue, the MFSL vinyl & MFSL HQRD (or whatever it is) vinyl & CD reissue, & SACD.

AND......(drum roll please), a beautiful metallic red-burst Fender Jazz Bass with a jewel-like finish, signed by the man himself (Roger Waters), at one of MY gigs no less! Oh what a night!

Dean, I have the original cartridge the came mounted on the table. It's a Goldring 1012gx, I believe it's around 175.00 if you buy it separately.

Artto, you can get the album from MusicDirect, Acoustic Sounds. Also, that guitar is Awesome, what a nice piece of memorabilia to have. I should tell you I picked up that album at my a local cd/music store in Omaha, so you might just want to check your local specialty music store first. The guy working there said there selling them faster than they can get them in.

Strabo....Yea, I have the MOFI recording to. I was given the record by a friend and the dang thing looks to be in decent shape but just plays horrible. He said the record spun many times back in the DAY9.gif at parties and etc. so it's past it's prime. Since getting into vinyl I have come to realize looks can be deceiving. I have some records that just look pristine that sound horrible and some that look average and throw goosebump sounds back at ya, go figure...

Yeah, Gilmore did a damn good job in "Division Bell" (like his solo efforts).

My brother just bought the multichannel hybrid SACD "DSOTM" and I listened to it for the first time last night on his Sony SACD player...dammit, it sounds like it was just recorded yesterday instead of '73! I'd buy the 30th Anniversary LP if I had a turntable again...I know my Sumiko Blue Point would do it justice!

Yes Art, please tell us the rest of the story...great Fender, by the way.

a quick reply...more later

NO...GILmor is NoT 'the Man'

He is NOT an original MEMBER

roger is

AND

Waters writes most, almost, all of the lyrics

AND

has a hand in, or writes much of the music

(I like really this. Roger plays bass most of the time)

The lead vocalist for the most part too.

Dean, I was playing in a 'working' blues band at the time (1997-2000). We were doing alright. At least one gig a week. Usually 2 or 3, sometimes more. House band at some nice places.

We finished in the final 10 (out of 100+) bands from all over the world in Buddy Guy's 'Best Un-signed Blues Band' competition. We got some gigs out of it. One was a Friday night gig at Buddy Guy's Legends. We're loading in & one of the 'door guys' informs us that we can't sit in the 'VIP' section normally reserved for band members. He says "Roger Waters may be showing up"........long pause. (deer-in-headlight look on my face). "You mean, THEEE 'Roger Waters?". He laughs & says Yes!

I'm like, OK. Don't think about this too much. He's not going to show up. What would he show up here tonight for? And even if he does, we're just the opening act. He'll show up after that. etc etc.

Gets even better (or worse, depending on your perspective). Dave Meyer, the 'father of electric blues bass' rolls in (literally) from the back stage door in his wheelchair. Now I've got TWO of the most influential persons is certain musical genre, BOTH BASS PLAYERS, sitting there listening to me play the bass, & I'm thinking "Man, don't you dare move out of the grooove man!, don't do anything stupid man!"

After our set is over, I go over to Dave Meyers first, re-introduce myself (as I wanted to take some lessons from him from a previous meeting). He starts laughing. Says "Sheeeet! You don't need no lessons! Hehehehehe", slaps his knee & rolls a way.

Then I go up to Roger & introduce myself & ask if he'll sign my bass. (I have always sworn that I would NEVER have any of my instruments 'autographed' as I couldn't, wouldn't, ever use them again. (GRIN)

As it turned out, afterwards Roger invited us to his show at the "world theater' or 'tweeter center', or whatever its called now. Second row center. It was absolutely awesome. Especally after meeting and talking with the whole band the night before. One of the best weekends of my life!

Me playing the beautiful Jazz Bass he signed with my Kool Kustom bass rig in the background. 400 watts of tuck & roll power into two 1x15 cabs with JBL D-140 drivers. I had a 67 Fender Coronado semi-hollow body bass (same finish as the Jazz) on that gig. I should have had Waters sign that too!(MEDUMB)

post-10840-13819248469284_thumb.jpg

Dean-Artto....let's just say both Waters and Gilmour are the "MAN". ha,ha. Waters is obviously a musical genius no doubt about it, but one of my favorite Floyd albums of all time is "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", after Roger left, I just love that album. Gilmour is pretty much solely responsible for everything on the album. All I have is the cd, I would love to find it on vinyl.